close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

SC 5010v4 vs Upgraded Genius 960

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
SC 5010v4 vs Upgraded Genius 960
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 2, 2021 at 3:11 Quote
Hey all,

Long time lurker, not often (ever?) poster. Wealth of knowledge and experience here so I'm looking for other opinions. Purely recreational rider here, I like to have fun on the trails. If I do a race a year, that's a lot and even then - it's just for fun.

Predicament: Ordered a MY21 Santa Cruz 5010v4, R build. $4400 w/tax (ish). Lot of money for me, maxing my budget and makes me cringe but I know I'd totally enjoy it for years. Problem - won't be in until May-July. No bueno.

LBS offered a MY21 Genius 960 instead. Alum, not carbon. Looks like I can get into it for much less base price, but they'd swap the wheels for 27.5/2.6-2.8ish, XT groupset (incl brakes) and a pike select up front. Rear shock OEM for now, I think that'd put me over $4500. Maybe I can convince them to keep the take offs and pop in a DPx2, pedals and headset upgrade, we call it even.

Genius 960 in-stock, right now. Prime riding isn't for another 45-60 days here. What would you do?

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 17:52 Quote
I would probably go for the Scott. While that Santa Cruz looks like a super sweet bike, that spec isn't very good. Considering that the SC is at the top of your price range you probably wouldn't be able to upgrade the fork. Unless you're able to buy the SC and get a Marzocchi Bomber aftermarket... it's truly not worth it.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 5:25 Quote
I would go for the scott but to ride it as is especially if you can get it for under MSRP. If you find after a year you don't love it you could always upgrade then or sell it and go for the santa cruz and pretty much break even with what used bikes are going for these days

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 5:12 Quote
Thought I'd update this. Went with the Genius. Got XT brakes f/r (203mm), Pike up front, Fox Nude from the tuned Genius out back, i9 Hydra hubs w/i9 backcountry 360 wheelset in 27.5, XT drivetrain (although still waiting on it) and 2.8 minions.

It's an incredible bike now!

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
peejaykay wrote:
Thought I'd update this. Went with the Genius. Got XT brakes f/r (203mm), Pike up front, Fox Nude from the tuned Genius out back, i9 Hydra hubs w/i9 backcountry 360 wheelset in 27.5, XT drivetrain (although still waiting on it) and 2.8 minions.

It's an incredible bike now!

Awesome! Glad you like it!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004726
Mobile Version of Website