BEST HUBS

Previous Page |
Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 11:08 Quote
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my Hub on my bike as I would like it to be louder as its dead quiet at the moment and no one wants that! Has anyone got a recommendation for the best price vs performance hub?

Thanks

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 11:10 Quote
Race face vault or halo

Posted: Feb 4, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
Buy only the best. Industry nine hydra or torch. Or halo wheels. Or chris king
Thomas9624 wrote:
Hello, I am looking to upgrade my Hub on my bike as I would like it to be louder as its dead quiet at the moment and no one wants that! Has anyone got a recommendation for the best price vs performance hub?

Thanks

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 3:22 Quote
The best quality, bulletproof reliability, reasonably priced and they make a great sound too, Hope Pro 4's.

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 5:47 Quote
Thomas9624 wrote:

Thanks

Take any hub with more than 40 PoE, put a little less grease in freehub and you got yourself a loud hub. How much money you have available for upgrade?

Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 23:32 Quote
Best price-to-performance hub? Most durable hub? Good (not loudest) sound? Shimano XT. No question. Hands down.

Dirt cheap. Huge, serviceable bearings. Available everywhere.

Got an XD cassette? Sorry... Still, with a new cassette, it'll be compatible with the rest of your SRAM drivetrain.

Want quicker engagement, and a louder freewheel sound? Lots of options, if you have money to spend... Want quicker engagement, and a louder freewheel sound in a hub that won't self destruct? DT-Swiss 240 or Hope.

DT wins the price/performance in most parts of the world, but Hope offers a lot of color options which might be worth the small price premium for a lot of users.

Also, I have to mention Onyx Classic hubs - which are pretty much silent, so not super relevant to this discussion - but they are bombproof, have faster engagement than anything else I've tried, and (while not cheap...*) deserve to be mentioned in any discussion of "Best Hubs".

*I am cheap, and do my own maintenance, so most of my bikes have Shimano XT hubs.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 7:21 Quote
Dartmoor hubs are LOUD!

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
Loud hubs?

And no one has mentioned I9? The Hydra is their premier hub, but the 1/1 is a great deal as well. You can make them louder by using oil, instead of grease for lubrication in the freehub.

Chris King is also on the louder end of the spectrum, as are White Industries.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 23:49 Quote
Best? is a wide definition but, I'm a big Hope fan as they're bombproof, super long lasting, easily serviceable an reliable. A lil bit pricey but, deffo worth it in the long, very long run
An yeah not the loudest but pretty loud, interestingly my Pro2 EVO's are louder than my Pro4's

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 6:02 Quote
Thomas9624 wrote:

Thanks

Few spring to mind...

-high end novatec, sometimes branded as factor components (xdh42sb for 150/157mm dh and xd642sb for 142/148 trail/enduro). They have a 6pawl 84poe and 120 poe design. Depends on the model I guess. Really nice buzzing sound. Might be tough to find some though.
-bitex hubs, 6pawl 54 poe. decent sound and reliability. Closest in sound is bontrager 54t rapiddrive hub, not very loud but noticable while riding
-dartmoor reel pro, 6pawl 72poe. Loud sound similar to older i9 120poe hubs
-superstar components v6, 54poe 6pawl design, sounds similar if not louder than hope pro 4, build quality is good and they are about 50 gbp cheaper than hope.

Now these are all sub 200 gbp choices. If you want a great hub you can spend literally as much as you want but reading your post you're interested in good price/performance hubs.

Other options are
-halo superdrive
-hope pro4
-bontrager rapiddrive
-i9
-profile racing
-Acros nineteen
-nukeproof horizon v2/spank hex
-dt 240/180
-tune hubs
-noa hubs
-raceface vault
-e*thirteen
-newmen
+some others i probably forgot..

Dt swiss 350 is a great and reliable hub but stock they come with 18tooth star ratchet, which is neither loud nor fast engaging. To get that nice sound you need to buy a ratchet upgrade which is another 80-100 eur for 36 or 54 tooth uprgrade, plus I've heard some people shear the 54 tooth so for the drivering mechanism reliability i would get the 36 tooth upgrade from dt or gamble with the higher tooth asian sourced steel driverings. For given price the design and reliability the 350 is a great hub but as you upgrade the ratchet rings the price quickly adds up.

As for the other hubs mentioned I cannot comment on the reliability as i have not yet seen or ridden them but I think chris king is really one of if not the best hubs made today. Similar design to Dt swiss but with better engagement, nice sound aswell. Their bearings are also top notch, really a hub you have for years to come...

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 2:34 Quote
Hadley Racing Hubs. 72poe and just great reliable hubs!

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 10:21 Quote
I have experience with Novatec, Shimano XT, DT 370 and 350, i9 torch, i9 Hydra, Profile Elite, Profile 2 and Onyx classic's. IMO, the Onyx Classics are hands down, the best hubs I have used. Butter smooth, ninja silent, instant engagement, and bombproof. As for the other hubs, the Hydras were my favorite of the pawl and noise hubs. The Profiles are by far the loudest hubs.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 21:15 Quote
I keep breaking Shimano xt and raceface trace rear hubs. ; )

Race face crushing inside bearing free hub and breaking aluminum axle

Shimano - breaking freewheel bolt/axle

Eyeing up the race face vault - I like the big bearings.

Industry 9 hydra looks great but the bearings seem small?

Anyone got more info industry 9 bearings?

Thanks

A

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 8:24 Quote
Hope p4's are incredibly simple, well made, have a great sound, infinitely rebuildable, excellent sealing from the elements and amazing customer service. You will be able to service them for the life that you own them. They are also cost effective. I am incredibly happy with mine.

Posted: Oct 29, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
Not a fan of noisy hubs, like to hear my surroundings especially at 2am riding
through a rougher neighbourhood.

For good reliable service, replacement parts, adapatable wheel fork sizes and based in the UK,
Hope are a good benchmark.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005203
Mobile Version of Website