Cannondale crankset help

PB Forum :: Cannondale
Cannondale crankset help
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 5, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
Hi all

Would be very grateful if anyone could help me with the following. I'm doing a hardtail build around a Cannondale Beast of the East 3 2016-7 frame. This is a budget build challenge using second hand parts from ebay / PB etc. All has gone well until the crankset (bit of a hiccup with the headset and the proprietary Cannondale sizing) where I'm now stuck.

It has an 83mm bb shell which is asymmetric (10mm wider on non drive side I believe). When you google the bike it just says it has a BB30 alloy bb. The second hand frame I have bought has come with normal BB30 bearings with the circlips in it. Technically I believe this is a BB30-83 ai bottom bracket. The chainring is also supposed to sit 6mm offest towards the drive side to account for the asymmetric rear triangle.

Basically I don't know what crankset to use without spending a fortune. The bike when sold came with a Cannondale Si Ai BB30 SpideRing 30t. Here are some of my thoughts on options:

1.) BB30 - shimano 24 or sram 24/22 convertor: use a standard shimano or sram crankset. I have an old 3x shimano and 2x Truvativ. Can attach a narrow wide to mid or outer chain ring position. Cranks are for 73mm bb though so only issue is whether spindle is long enough. I believe the shimano is an M542 with roughly 130mm long spindle.

2.) Like 1.) but if the spindle isn't long enough try find a second hand downhill crankset e.g shimano saint meant for an 83mm BB.

3.) Buy a second hand 30mm crankset. Again would have to find an 83mm version and if it was a 2x then mount to outer chain ring position to account for 6mm offest.

Any help / thoughts / experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dan

O+
Posted: May 4, 2023 at 6:06 Quote
Hey, any update on this?

I'm building up a 2017 Bad Habit 2 Carbon frame and I'm running into alot of things I don't understand lol

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.033081
Mobile Version of Website