Why do you choose tires with heavy casings?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Why do you choose tires with heavy casings?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 15:59 Quote
Those of you who ride tires with heavy casings (DH, Double Down, Super Gravity, Tough, AEC, AGC, EMC, Gravity Shield, DH Shield, etc.), what are your top reasons for doing so?

• Pinch flats
• Casing rips - crown
• Casing rips - sidewall
• Lateral stability
• Ride feel
• Softest compounds are available only with heavy casings
• Other?

What do you like most and least about tires with heavy casings?

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 17:27 Quote
I run Kendas, pinner 29x2.4 front and hellkat 27.5x2.4 rear on my 2021 Status. I ride lots of park and shuttle. I’d rather take the weight and rolling penalty than have to deal with flats by running a lighter casing. Plus I feel that the AGC casing has a more damped feeling which I like.

Posted: Feb 7, 2021 at 18:22 Quote
Definitely makes sense for park and shuttle riding, and Kenda's AGC is one of the lighter DH casings.

Thanks for the reply!

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

I had DH casing Maxxis Minions with the MaxxGrip compound on my park/winch-and-plummet bike last summer. And I did buy the DH casing out of necessity as it was the only option I could find with MaxxGrip.

R-M-R wrote:
There was nothing I liked about those heavy casings. Extra fatigue if it was a pedal day. Slow acceleration if you dare attempt a technical climb. And the tracks around here, with some exceptions that are over my head, don't benefit from the grippier compounds afforded by the heavy casings.

Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
Sounds like those tires didn't work out so well.

MaxxGrip is great ... while it lasts! lol ... Frown

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
Not well at all. I took a heavy, sluggish Aluminum Transition Patrol and did the one thing that could make it even more heavy and sluggish!

In fairness, I put those tires on with the expectation of wet-weather riding during a couple trips to Southwestern B.C. Didn't really factor a global pandemic into my tire choice at the time.

FL
Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
Those who bought heavier casting tires, why not get a lighter tire but with an insert such as the Tannus?

O+
Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:
Those who bought heavier casting tires, why not get a lighter tire but with an insert such as the Tannus?

I’m on kenda AGC with cushcore. It’s all dependent on terrain I think. Around here it’s sharp lava which will puncture anything. It’s nice to not worry about flats.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 10, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
borlowski90 wrote:

I actually prefer the feel of a heavier casing over a light casing plus insert.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Those of you who ride tires with heavy casings (DH, Double Down, Super Gravity, Tough, AEC, AGC, EMC, Gravity Shield, DH Shield, etc.), what are your top reasons for doing so?

• Pinch flats
• Casing rips - crown
• Casing rips - sidewall
• Lateral stability
• Ride feel
• Other?

Thanks!
It looks you already pointed all the reasons, most choose one or multiple of them.

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 8:04 Quote
running tough casings because it's all that the rear tread model (Judge) is available in, and the front was all they had left at the shop. I still get flats in the rear occasionally but i used to flat all the time.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 10:49 Quote
onyxss,

Yes, those are the main reasons, but not every one of those reasons is equally important to every rider. I was inviting people to comment on their personal list of priorities. For example, most have said pinch flats are a top issue; some have said lateral stability, while others have said that's not a big deal; and one person likes the properties of a heavy casing, but would prefer the harder compounds only offered with lighter casings.

newbermuda,

What are your most common types of flats?

O+
Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
R-M-R wrote:

• Pinch flats
• Casing rips - crown
• Casing rips - sidewall
• Lateral stability
• Ride feel
• Other?

Thanks!

The Sonoran Desert is full of cacti and Cholla. Heavy tires really help with the pokies

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
Yeah, the desert is weird. I've spent only a few weeks in cactus country and was fortunate enough to get only a couple goat heads and cholla in my tires. My gloves weren't so lucky, but that's another story.

It would be interesting to determine the most effective materials to prevent thorn penetration. Maybe a thin casing made from very fine, very tough fabric would work better than many layers of a less tough material and/or larger thread. Or maybe the thickness is an important factor, regardless of what it's made from.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
When you guys say you prefer the more damped feel, are you reffering to small bump compliance and a better ride or rather that the tyre feels less zingy and has less pop staying stuck to the ground more....or perhaps both?

I put a dh casing on the front of my last bike and I'm sure it made things feel more plush on the front for small bumps, especially compared to the Snakeskin Magic Mary I'm running now...and that was with a lower spec fork...though I did soon turn to a coil after fitting that tyre so maybe my memory is failing me and I'm comparing my ZEB to the Smashpot I had rather than to my Lyrik and dh casing.

I find it odd how stiffer casings offer better feel ..but I can definitely tell doing the drop test on a bike with an 11/6 and snakeskin hans dampf rear I'm getting slightly more rebound of the back wheel compared to my previous bike with an inferior shock and less progressivity... Though I will say the magic mary considering it's supposed to be a dh tyre does feel very zingy and rolls very well....guess if you ride a combination of terrain types then this is the way forwards...but for pure damping comfort and grip nothing imo has ever touched the Maxxis Shorty from what I have tried on almost all terrain.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012511
Mobile Version of Website