Why do you choose tires with heavy casings?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Why do you choose tires with heavy casings?
| Next Page
Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 2:37 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Fair enough.

Personally, I love the smoothness and traction of wider tires, if I can get the lateral stability I need. Either my current tires don't bounce as much as when I first tried wider tires on a couple of borrowed bikes or I've become used to it, so it's all upside and no downside. Well ... I'd prefer if my tires weren't 980 g - 1250 g, but narrower tires aren't that much lighter.

I ran the full 2.6" setup on my Bird Zero29 and the extra smoothness was superb but I guess I just wanted that sidewall support that the 2.4" gives. But for ploughing down a trail the 2.6 f/r give so much sense.
As I recall my 29" Pinner 2.4" ATC weighed 1020g. A fair bit more than the Hellkat ATC 2.4

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 3:38 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
splayleg,

Thank you for the feedback.

Arierep,

With the light casings, what specs were giving you trouble? Casing width, rim width, and pressure?

All tyres I described were 2.4-2.5, on 26 to 30mm internal rims. Pressures were everything from 18-24psi front, 22-30psi rear, I experimented a lot with this

Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 4:11 Quote
Thorjensen,

Yes, the lateral support can't be compromised. This is why I'm hoping to explore light, stiff sidewalls and lower aspect ratios.

Arierep,

Thank you for the additional information. Those ratios of casing width to rim width range form 2.44 to 2.03. I'm thinking 1.5 may be a better target for light casings.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007194
Mobile Version of Website