How much travel?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
I’m thinking about a ripmo AF vs Hightower or maybe a Ripley AF or tallboy.
I’ve been riding about a year on a 2017 tallboy. I really like it but it would be nice to have another bike and I hate missing rides when doing maintenance.

Does it make sense for a newer rider to get a bike with more travel like a ripmo?
Or should i stick with a shorter travel bike?

I tried a ripmo AF and it felt a little more solid on a downhill but I was actually slower on it compared to my tallboy.
I’m doing a little jumping and some of the trails nearby are steep.
But I’m 46 so not charging that hard.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 12:42 Quote
I'm your age, but I've been riding my whole life. I don't know about your trails or riding style vs my own, but to me a 160 front is good...and a 140-ish rear pairs nicely with that. I ride a Ripmo. It's not as much fun on smooth stuff or when you want to stand and crush pedals as a hardtail(or even a more supportive FS), but it is a very good ride.

I like DW more than VPP due to the square-hit feedback you can get climbing with VPP.

I agree that a second good bike is important.

You'll certainly find out what's important to you. Your choices are either more or less suspension, and it can be really hard to know what's right until you've spent the money, and then it's too late.

My Ripmo has a Float X2 on it and it really is NOT an out-of-the-seat pedaler. It's the one thing that I really don't care for on it. My second bike is currently a hardtail and it's really fun to get out of the seat and crush pedals on it. I'm working on getting a new FS to replace the hardtail because I had knee surgery last year and I can't go nuts on the hardtail without pain. I'm going with a 140 rear FS for my second. I test rode it and it was VERY supportive and I could get out of the saddle and push hard like my hardtail. I really liked it in spite of it not being as smooth on descents vs the Ripmo.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 15:12 Quote
You don't need a ton of suspension for hitting tables. More suspension is good for hitting chunky sections at higher speeds, and bigger drops to flat. I don't see anything wrong with buying a bike for the kind of riding you'd like to do, even if you're not there yet. If you're bottoming your current bike regularly then go bigger, but if you're not then that kind of answers your question itself.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 15:13 Quote
Well maybe I’ll just try and find a ripmo af and if it’s too much bike I can always sell it.

I’m kind of curious to try a smaller travel bike with updated geometry also.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 15:48 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
I’m thinking about a ripmo AF vs Hightower or maybe a Ripley AF or tallboy.
I’ve been riding about a year on a 2017 tallboy. I really like it but it would be nice to have another bike and I hate missing rides when doing maintenance.

Does it make sense for a newer rider to get a bike with more travel like a ripmo?
Or should i stick with a shorter travel bike?

I tried a ripmo AF and it felt a little more solid on a downhill but I was actually slower on it compared to my tallboy.
I’m doing a little jumping and some of the trails nearby are steep.
But I’m 46 so not charging that hard.
I would take a look at the norco optic it will still pedal great but it will feel better on the jumps and downhills. I would guess that the only reason you were slower on the ripmo is because you were not used to it yet.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 15:58 Quote
Explodo wrote:
"...My Ripmo has a Float X2 on it and it really is NOT an out-of-the-seat pedaler...""
Just curious; did you feel that had anything to do with having that particular shock on a Ripmo, the shock itself, or the geo of the bike?

~JSV

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 16:40 Quote
Had an 18 TB. That bike is a very capable bike, but it is a scalpel in the woods. Fast and reacts quickly to input. Really liked mine and would like to have another. But, moved to a HTLT and just have too much fun now. Pedals better up tech stuff with roots and rocks as the rear stays planted better, but maybe not quite as effiicient, which I am ok with. Its a hoot when headed down. I don't notice any drawbacks with VPP and climbing, more to do with set up, IMO.

BTW, I am 51. Been riding a long time, but the longer travel bike has actually allowed me to progress more as a rider because I don't feel like I am riding the edge of what the bike is designed for, like I did one the TB. In short, I have more confidence.

Let me know if you have any specific questions around the SC. I also have a 17 HT and had a 17 5010 and a 19 HT. I recently built the HT for my son. As similar as it is to the LT, it is still surprisingly different.

I think having 2 bikes for diff applications is great, as well as a back up.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Explodo wrote:
"...My Ripmo has a Float X2 on it and it really is NOT an out-of-the-seat pedaler...""
Just curious; did you feel that had anything to do with having that particular shock on a Ripmo, the shock itself, or the geo of the bike?

~JSV

I don't get enough experience with enough different combos to know if it's the geo or the shock. That would certainly be an interesting test.

There are enough comparisons of the two that state that the X2 is more plush and coil-like that it's certainly feasible that the issue is just the X2.

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 18:01 Quote
Explodo wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
Explodo wrote:

~JSV

I don't get enough experience with enough different combos to know if it's the geo or the shock. That would certainly be an interesting test.

There are enough comparisons of the two that state that the X2 is more plush and coil-like that it's certainly feasible that the issue is just the X2.

I have read the same, but am still intrigued by the adjustability of the shock. I need a good pedaling bike. I ride mine in the mid position pretty much all the time.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008019
Mobile Version of Website