North van, squamish, or whistler?

PB Forum :: Canada - West
North van, squamish, or whistler?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 19:22 Quote
Covid restrictions in Ontario are insane and I'm imagining that continuing right through the summer. I work remotely so luckily I can boot out west of the summer months and be fine to keep earning a living. I'm looking for some advice here on North van v. Squamish v. going all out with Whistler. I imagine whistler would be most ideal given the bike park, but what about stuff outside of the bike park? How are the trails up there.

Ive heard a lot of great things about Squamish too, but being fully transparent I think Id be born to death or stoned most nights coming from Toronto and needing a bit of something extra going on. Although the wildlife and fishing seem like a good bit of extra time too.

DUMB QUESTION, 'north shore' means north van right? Its likely the best blend of everything with a 2 hour ride to Whistler being available weekends or when I play hookey from work.

Any help, info, and suggestions is appreciated boys.

O+
Posted: Feb 12, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
Maybe try the regional thread for whistler? I’m not from there but ride whistler a lot, Squamish a bit and did three days on the north shore recently. North shore is north van- fromme, seymore, and cypres. There is a heavy emphasis on steep janky tech and wood features. Squamish is famous for huge rock faces but has a good variety. Whistler has a good variety of non park trails, but I find the climbs a bit brutal.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 8:28 Quote
there is so much riding to be done outside the park. check out trailforks most of the trails have videos.
and if you are just going for a season you are going to get the most progression having the bike park right there. you can get so much riding in in a day with the lifts. i go to whistler a week or 2 each year and its nice to spend a week in the village. but if i was moving out west permanently i would go somewhere else probably around pemberton.

O+
Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 17:16 Quote
I posted in the other thread but see you included more details here.
Since it's just for a summer, and job doesn't matter, and you want to ride the park, Whistler wins. Hopefully the bike park will stay open till 8 this summer so you can ride everyday regardless of work, and the trails outside of the park are sweet too, like I said in the other one the trails outside of the park are on average pretty hard, if you can't handle blacks it's pretty limited but squamish 40 mins away and Pemberton 30 too for some more.
Not sure what 'something extra going on' means, I'm thinking nightlife? Normally Whistler has pretty good nightlife but not the same right now, or in Vancouver, so might as well bike till 8pm or so every day instead. If you moved to Vancouver you would probably bike way less if it had to be a weekend ordeal everytime instead of going for a ride whenever you have a couple hours or so.

North shore is west van+north van, parts of the city on the north shore of Burrard inlet hence the name.

O+
Posted: Feb 16, 2021 at 5:24 Quote
Why not base yourself in Squamish which is smack dab in the middle.

Ive only ridden Fromme and Whistler. But in reality you cant go wrong with all 3 in terms of radness.

You also have Coast Gravity park which you get to from Horseshoe bay which is closer to North Van.

O+ FL
Posted: Feb 17, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
You will have an easier time finding somewhere to live in North Van, and likely Whistler than Squamish. Vacancy rate is close to zero.

But really, if you can work anywhere, there are so many other kick ass communities in BC with great riding that you could choose to live in for much cheaper, and they would see a greater benefit from the economic injection rather than trying to shoehorn another person into the Sea to Sky.

Spread the love!

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 12:41 Quote
I wanna make the move out to North Van in the next few years, or at the very least live there from November until June and then back to Québec riding for the summer, either of those two options is my goal hopefully in the next few years! Big Grin

Go for it man, go out there and roam around there's literally amazing riding everywhere it's truly wonderland in BC xD.
I hope you go for it, and when you do enjoy the trip man! I'm planning a 2 week excursion to North Van and surrounding area's at some point in the year, I can't wait! Big Grin
Enjoy man Big Grin \m/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007929
Mobile Version of Website