Which elevation is more accurate, ridelog or ride plan?

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Which elevation is more accurate, ridelog or ride plan?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 13:53 Quote
The elevation that I get from a ridelog is usually much greater than the elevation I get from a ride plan for the same route. Which one is more accurate?

Thanks!

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 at 6:48 Quote
Likely neither are very accurate unless you have a very high end GPS unit with an accurate barometer and a very good GPS antenna.

https://www.trailforks.com/help/view/90/

Posted: Feb 12, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
Thanks for the reply and link! That explains why TF elevation data would differ from other GPS apps such as Strava. But if I'm understanding the article correctly, TF generates cumulative elevation data from its internal API service using the GPS waypoints from a ride or plan. Given that the same service is used for both ridelogs and ride plans, it would seem that the two results would be somewhat similar. But they aren't. On longer rides, the cumulative elevations differ by 50% or more.

Of course, any cumulative elevation values will always be a rough approximation of the real world. I'm just curious why they differ so much between ridelogs and ride plans and which one would be a better approximation of the actual cumulative elevation for a ride.

What am I not understanding?

Mod Plus
Posted: Feb 15, 2021 at 18:28 Quote
Can you provide a link to the ridelog and rideplan for example.

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 at 15:52 Quote
Darn, I just deleted the ride plan. I'll create another and then go ride it and post a link to both.

Thanks!!

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 at 17:14 Quote
OK, this might work. Here is a public route created by selecting Route Planner > Draw Route > Create P.ublic Route From This

Call Me Black Mountain

And here is a ridelog from the same route.

Ridelog

The route planner gave a cumulative climbing of 1016 feet.
The ridelog of the same route gave 1820 feet, about 80% more.

The longer the routes the greater the difference. Whatever is causing the tracking difference seems to accumulate with distance.

Thanks!!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004603
Mobile Version of Website