Can you use a fat bike for trail riding?

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Can you use a fat bike for trail riding?
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 21:03 Quote
Not yet, but I am looking for it.

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 9:02 Quote
GrahamSW wrote:
Most definitely. I have been riding my fatty for 2 years year round and loving it. Mine weighs 32lbs custom steel frame, 26x4.0 jumbo jims(I dont like how 27.5 wheels feel), Mastodon pro fork. The bike is awesome.
I have been tossing around the idea of getting a second wheelset in 29x2.3 for more jumping stuff. So far the fat tires do everything fine.
Another person to check out is Blake Samson on GMBN. He pushes fat bikes to the limits.

Same, going with a 29+ extra wheelset this summer. Give yourself the option to switch back and forth depending on mood

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 9:05 Quote
RKingan wrote:
I can and do sometimes to keep things interesting. It is fun, but you can find the limits of what you want to do on big squishy tires with weak brakes pretty fast if you push hard on rough terrain. I don't imagine fat tires would work well for jumps, but I like them in slower Rocky tech. Feels like driving a bus downhill, but in a good way.

For moderate trails or shit you ride all the time they can be a blast. Tire presure is key, for me the difference between basket ball like bounce and rim banging squishy is not as many psi as you might think.

There are some awesome videos of a guy fat biking Whistler on youtube.

Grabbing a digital air pressure gauge is a game changer for fats. 7.5 psi compared to 5.5 psi is night and day. A dialed in tier pressure is muy beuno

Posted: Mar 12, 2021 at 9:52 Quote
ducklord wrote:
I was wondering if fat bikes are good for trail riding, jumps, an tech features. What would I need to do this on a fat bike?

just because you can doesnt mean you should.

Yes, you can; but I would rather chose a different type of bike according to the kind of trails you ride/you have in your area.

Posted: Mar 13, 2021 at 8:31 Quote
You totally can. I have a rigid fat bike that I ride on the local trails from time to time. It's fun to switch it up, but it's not a replacement for my trail bike. I suppose if I have a suspension fork and a dropper on it it I would have a different point of view, but I don't see the fatty as being my only bike in the shed.

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 23:30 Quote
My fat bike is my trail bike, while it may not be the outright fastest option on tamer trails it really starts to shine when things get loose or chunky. Full rigid they are quite capable but once you slap a suspension fork and a dropper on them they can be real shredders. But just like every other bike out there the geo plays a huge role in how it rides.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
I ran 29+ carbon rims with a Fox 34 on my Farley 9.6 for summer and it was very similar to a Stache

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 19:20 Quote
I ride an sworks fatboy with a bluto fork year round. Tire pressure is key. I have other bikes but this one always puts a smile in my face.

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
I was fortunate to find a great deal on a leftover sworks fatboy. I put a bluto on it due to an old injury and this thing rocks. Tire pressure is critical but i never ride my other bike. The key is tire pressure and keeping momentum. Ive ridden the same trail on a camber and im faster on the fatbike. Plus i smile more on it.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 7:31 Quote
What tire pressure are people running on dry, slightly technical/rooty single track on a nice sunny day?

I have a front fork on my trek farley

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 7:46 Quote
christhebiker wrote:
What tire pressure are people running on dry, slightly technical/rooty single track on a nice sunny day?

I have a front fork on my trek farley

Christ,

What do you weigh? How wide are your tires? How wide are your rims? Tubes?

Completely unqualified answer: 8 psi front, 9 rear.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
i am 175 lbs, with 3.8" wide tires running tubes

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
Ah OK, 8-9 I'd guess. If it's self steering or you're feeling rim strikes bump it up a half a psi at a time and get a good gauge!

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Highly recommend digital air gauge for fat. Floor pump gauge won’t be able to dial you in to the half psi needed

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005752
Mobile Version of Website