Advice for DH-oriented E bike buyers

PB Forum :: eMTB
Advice for DH-oriented E bike buyers
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 8:03 Quote
Just found this thread, thanks guys!
We're about to put bafang bbshd's on an intense M1 and a Santa Cruz V10, both about 2003 vintage but in good condition.
TNC, ta for the write up, that's really encouraging!
It's going to take a few weeks to get the stuff together and built up but will report back.
No doubt the hardest part is going to be siting the batteries, but we'll find a way.
Cheers!

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 11:02 Quote
notsosilentbob wrote:
Just found this thread, thanks guys!
We're about to put bafang bbshd's on an intense M1 and a Santa Cruz V10, both about 2003 vintage but in good condition.
TNC, ta for the write up, that's really encouraging!
It's going to take a few weeks to get the stuff together and built up but will report back.
No doubt the hardest part is going to be siting the batteries, but we'll find a way.
Cheers!

Yes, depending on design of the frame and such these full suspension bikes can be challenging as to battery placement. To my surprise I went with the backpack placement. I say "surprise" because that wasn't my initial plan. It was just going to be a temporary deal until I came up with a permanent solution. On my dirt motor or my mountain bikes, I've always used a hydration pack style backpack like a Camelback MULE and such. Some people despise backpacks and others love them. I'm often far enough from camp or trailhead that I want a few minimal tools, snack, and water for my ride. Adding the battery didn't give me any heartburn...LOL!

I won't bore you with the details if it's not something you'd give any thought to. If it is a consideration, let me know, and I'll bore you with the details. I've found it to be the solution for my off road riding. I'd post a pic of mine, but I haven't figured out how PB does their photo deal yet.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 15:24 Quote
Hi.
Please feel free to bore me with the details:-)
At the moment we're thinking the V10 will have it mounted on the seat pin as brother is 6'4 and I was thinking of putting rivnuts under the down tube on the intense and mounting the battery there.
The only reason we stopped riding our DH bikes is that we got old and lazy and frankly we're delighted that they're going to get a new lease of life!

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
bob, I run a 52V, 17.5AH what I call a "brick" battery...the ones that are totally sealed in rubber heat shrink...well protected. You see them in triangles and rectangular shapes like mine. It fits in a nicely padded hydration pack that is pretty much a clone to the Camelback MULE for decent size reference. For a backpack battery setup, a sturdy, padded pack is a necessity. Mine is very comfortable and secure in rough terrain. I get no back pain of uncomfortable protrusions from the battery. If one falls on one of these batteries in a pack, there is ample padding. You want the battery protected also at the prices they charge for good ones. Again, I'm used to wearing a small/medium pack on an MTB and a dirt motor. Others may not like it.

The power cable from the battery to the motor end cable has to be about 4 feet. That sounds like a lot, but it's just right for standing on the pedals, leaning, getting on and off the bike, etc. If you crash and separate from the bike, my plug at the front top of the pack will disconnect. Some like theirs to disconnect at the end toward the motor. This is personal preference. I like the connections from the motor to go up the seat tube to the seatpost and the cable to velcro tie to the front of the rails of the saddle. The excess cable stays centered with the nose of the saddle, doesn't tangle with the bike or your legs, and you pretty much forget it's even there. It sounds weird, and I did not expect this to work this well. You can still get off the bike and move a little. Then when you want to leave the bike, go take a leak, sight-see, whatever...you slip out of the pack and hang it on the bike, lay it on the ground, whatever. It is an option that doesn't rely on the bike's shape or design. One other benefit is that these bikes get mighty heavy when completed as a mid-drive. When you add another 7-8 pounds of battery and mounts, they even get a little hard to pick up.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 23:39 Quote
Magic, thanks for the details
The more options the better!

Posted: Jun 30, 2021 at 1:51 Quote
I don’t know why enduro ebikes seem to be the trend makes more sense to make Dh ebikes with coil shocks

I hate that the motors on all ebikes are in a critical area easy to damage the motor and the weight of ebikes and the crappy geometry on some

Also the speed limiters suck
Reason why I sold mine.

Was great for uphill but too heavy.
And too low of a bb.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 18:18 Quote
Here's my attempt, but I'd say more 'do everything' oriented than just DH-oriented.
most fun bike I ever owned, though, by miles
photo

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
MartinR73 wrote:
Here's my attempt, but I'd say more 'do everything' oriented than just DH-oriented.
most fun bike I ever owned, though, by miles
photo

That is one sweet rig. Specialized?
Love coil all around myself. I'm waiting for my Bullit XT Coil. Then going to drop in a Smashpot for coil all around.

Posted: Jul 6, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
holytrails wrote:

That is one sweet rig. Specialized?
Love coil all around myself. I'm waiting for my Bullit XT Coil. Then going to drop in a Smashpot for coil all around.

Yep, 2019 Kenevo Expert, with a bunch of upgrades. I like the coil Boxxer on my 2015 Enduro, and was working on building up a coil Boxxer from 2015 and 2020 bits for this, but to be honest the air spring is so good now, so plush I don't really feel I needed it, kept it as-is in the end. Got a feeling the sheer sprung mass of the bike also helps with that good feeling on the air spring too

Posted: Aug 1, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
I am also quite surprised at the lack of dual crown ebikes available! For many, being on a dh bike for most dh tracks is the desire.
Sure you'd lose some ability to uphill some techy trails but can always adjust the height here and there right...

Posted: Aug 5, 2022 at 14:56 Quote
jrocksdh wrote:
I am also quite surprised at the lack of dual crown ebikes available! .

I think that's personal choice. I just put a 170mm airshaft on my Fox 36 and an EXT Storia V3 on my Levo SL and it's my do it all bike now. Just did Snow Summit Bike Park and it ripped on the DH but can still be a Trail/Enduro/DH bike.
I have a 22 Stumpy EVO too.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014974
Mobile Version of Website