Suggestions: One Day in Colorado

PB Forum :: USA - Rockies & Midwest
Suggestions: One Day in Colorado
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 16, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
Looking for suggestions for 1 day to ride in Colorado.

I am driving across the state memorial day weekend via i-70 with my father. He can ride bikes, but is 65 and just got a mountain bike. So I need something not very technical. He has not spent much time in Colorado and I want the biggest bang for my buck scenery-wise. The more alpine views on the bike, the better.

I just want to give my pops an epic day on the bike, where should we go?

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
Ask again 2 days before you drive out. Memorial day weekend is shoulder season and what is open and rideable will vary significantly based on how much snow falls in the next 2-3 months. If by Alpine views you mean "views of big mountains", those should be readily available. If you mean "views from big mountains" then don't count on it. Even in low-snow snow years the above-treeline trails don't dry out until mid June or even early July.

With that in mind, here's a couple suggestions:

1) Buffalo Creek area. The riding will be spot on for "not very technical". It will be a pretty big detour off I-70 but a much more scenic drive.
2) Centennial Cone. Gives a good "out there" experience and some pretty solid views for a brief detour off I-70. If you're coming through on a weekend, know that there is an alternating use schedule (bike-only one day, hike-only the other).
3) Green Mountain. Right outside of Denver. Expect a crowd and don't hit this one if it's the slightest bit moist. Good trails for a newbie though.
4) Floyd Hill. New, MTB "optimized" and even a downhill-only track. Might be pushing your Dad's skill level but it's right off I-70 and there are lots of optional lines if you want bigger hits for yourself.
5) Kenosha pass. This trail has some of the best views in the state and they get even better if you can get onto segment 6.2. You'll need to do the 285 detour. And it's not super technical but it is steep and somewhat grinding. Even if the lower part is open expect to ride until you hit snow then turn back. But it's definitely an epic day on the bike. Low, but non-zero, odds that this will be rideable enough to be worth your while.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004464
Mobile Version of Website