Help - New tires recommendation

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help - New tires recommendation
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
I’ve been riding Specialized Butcher up front and Purgatory or Eliminator out back for years. I’ve read fantastic reviews of them (especially with the new rubber compounds) and I’ve also seen consistent Pb editor comments like, “Specialized tires limit the bike.” I owe it to myself to try another couple of tires.

So, I need recommendations, ideally from people who’ve ridden these same Specialized tires and have found riding improvement with other tires. For background, I have a new Stumpy Evo and I don’t shuttle much but my preferred riding is fast and flowy to fast and rough downhill.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 8:28 Quote
I rode a friend's Evo with a WTB Verdict 2.5 in the front and a WTB Trailboss 2.4 in the back and it felt like the perfect balance for a bike like that.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
I would go with maxxis I love my minions.

FL
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
Running dissectors front and rear in 2.4WT.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 14:35 Quote
gnarlysipes wrote:
I’ve been riding Specialized Butcher up front and Purgatory or Eliminator out back for years. I’ve read fantastic reviews of them (especially with the new rubber compounds) and I’ve also seen consistent Pb editor comments like, “Specialized tires limit the bike.” I owe it to myself to try another couple of tires.

So, I need recommendations, ideally from people who’ve ridden these same Specialized tires and have found riding improvement with other tires. For background, I have a new Stumpy Evo and I don’t shuttle much but my preferred riding is fast and flowy to fast and rough downhill.
40 psi in my minions don’t give a bajesus about your opinions

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 19:40 Quote
My Butcher/Eliminators wire out on my Enduro, so I went with DHF/DHRII and didn’t look back. It was like night and day. The downhill casing is very heavy though. Wouldn’t recommend unless you’re actually DH racing.

Right now I’m riding Magic Mary’s on my Yeti. Only a couple rides on them so far, but I really like them.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 19:44 Quote
I’ve run kenda hellkats and pinners, vee snap wce and trail, vittoria mazza and Martello and I’m currently on specialized butchers. I hate maxis and scwalbe just because they’re overrated imo. Smaller company’s have just as good of performance. Personally I’d go for vittorias.

O+
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 23:08 Quote
Awesome. Lots of options to try.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 23:13 Quote
gnarlysipes wrote:

I ran the same tyres the other year. Couldn’t get on with them as the sidewalls seemed too flimsy without running extra psi which then put grip levels on a knife edge! Switched to Michelin wild enduros and they’ve been pretty perfect to the point of the guys I ride with have switched to the same. I’m hoping the new versions are just as good!

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 4:24 Quote
Can't recommend enough Michelin DH34 front and rear

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 5:30 Quote
I haven’t heard a bad review on Michelin’s but they’re tough to find here in the states.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 8:24 Quote
I’m also keen to try the new VEE attack HPL. Looks like an assegai and have heard good things so far.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 13:27 Quote
Matt7082 wrote:
I haven’t heard a bad review on Michelin’s but they’re tough to find here in the states.
I'm seeing Wild Enduro and Wild AM on various US sites.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
Schwalbe Magic Marys. front and rear for me. I did put a Hans Dampf on the rear to try sliding a bit better but haven't had time to try it out yet... But I really like the Magic Marys.

O+
Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 21:42 Quote
Super excited to try some new tires. Looks like I need to put some miles on my relatively new Butcher/Eliminator tires so I can justify new ones.

To be fair, I’ve loved the Eliminator over the Purgatory, though I had to get the Black DMND casing because the sidewalls were collapsing on me.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013747
Mobile Version of Website