Yeti vs. Guerilla Gravity

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Yeti vs. Guerilla Gravity
O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 13:59 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
The Yeti SB150 is a Race Bike you will probably feel that it weighs less and might pedal a little better but require a very active riding position on the downhill, it's also really expensive for the components you get. The Gnarvana is a great bike, it will weigh a little more, but it will also have a better component spec because it's a direct consumer. Trek Slash is also a race bike but it has a slightly less racey feel and better value than the Yeti. But if I had to choose I would choose the Evil Wreckoning V3 GX build, because it pedals very well for having 166mm of travel, and it feels like a downhill bike going downhill, It also has short chainstays so it's super playful, it also is surprisedly lightweight and really good looking. I've demoed many enduros and this is by far my favorite.

Evil is a cool brand (right up the road in B'ham too) but sadly the Wreckoning looks pretty sold out at the moment. Also, just perception, but it feels like Evil have lost a bit of their mojo. They were the OGs who made 29" work though. Did you ride the newly released Wreckoning? It looks like they finally updated their geo a little. The are (if it is possible) even more expensive than the Yeti in the same GX build kit! *ouch*

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
krichardson wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
Another would be the sb165 if 27.5 wheels are your thing, or you could mullet it. Also 165mm travel, pedals well, looks great, dual crown rated and short chainstays too and handles great. A good alternative to the Wreckoning.

The SB165 is a sick bike. Right before the pandemic shut down all demos, I got on an SB165 with a coil and a mullet setup. Felt awesome. Did feel like it might be more at home in the bike park. Also think I'm going to prioritize the 29" wheels.

You've had no issues with SI though or run in's with Yeti's customer service?

Not so far touch wood.. didn't with my sb6 either. I will say I use the sb165 as an every day bike too and it's great, it still pedals well but it has more dh confidence yet better more agile handling and climbing ability becuase of the seat tube than the sb6 ever did. It's better than the sb6 in every single way except maybe it's slightly heavier. Geometry is great, handles great and is a strong burly stiff frame.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 14:02 Quote
sdaly wrote:
Requiring more maintenance, cleaning, and greasing is not a selling feature

Not a selling point for sure. Cool tech usually take some maintenance, but that does make one anxious and if there is more time involved... well... time and money are two of the things I Don't have a lot of! X)

If you are a hard "NO" on the Yeti, then what would you get? Go for the Trek Slash or the GG Gnarvana or something else altogether?

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 14:06 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Not so far touch wood.. didn't with my sb6 either. I will say I use the sb165 as an every day bike too and it's great, it still pedals well but it has more dh confidence yet better more agile handling and climbing ability becuase of the seat tube than the sb6 ever did. It's better than the sb6 in every single way except maybe it's slightly heavier. Geometry is great, handles great and is a strong burly stiff frame.

That's awesome. And I'd rather be "over-biked" any day! The extra confidence isn't a bad thing and I don't have to be the first to the top - prioritize a sweet time on the down!

Surprisingly, the cost of a Yeti isn't as shocking as it used to. Even the big brand bikes aren't much cheaper... Yes, a Slash might be a little less and I would get carbon wheels, but it is all house-brand-stuff. But it DOES have a secret stash compartment! Wink Not sure that's going to push me over the edge...

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
You could always get a second hand one in great condition, I was lucky with mine, paid £2700 for the frame on Ebay with Push 11.6 and Hope bb fitted off a guy on here that goes through bikes left right and centre. The frame alone new with dhx2 is £3700 add a £1200 push, Hope bb and invisframe and I got £5000 worth of kit for nearly half price not a single mark, scratch or spec of dirt on it, in fact I would say better than new as it came fully invisiframed by a professional car body vinyl fitter and I could never fit it myself to that standard. My brand new sb6 frame came in worse knick and a worse box. So don't be afraid to buy second hand if you are buying off a guy who looks after his stuff and has barely used it. I rather pay the same for a better bike used in good condition than pay full rrp for a lesser brand.

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 16:12 Quote
krichardson wrote:
sdaly wrote:
Requiring more maintenance, cleaning, and greasing is not a selling feature

Not a selling point for sure. Cool tech usually take some maintenance, but that does make one anxious and if there is more time involved... well... time and money are two of the things I Don't have a lot of! X)

If you are a hard "NO" on the Yeti, then what would you get? Go for the Trek Slash or the GG Gnarvana or something else altogether?

The GG bikes look like a sick option for sure, and their frames have so many adjustment options it's like having a hard hitting enduro and a more trail/all mtn style frame all in one. I also have my eye on the norco sight and eagerly waiting to see the new range. Transitions also look really nice, Forbidden bikes, Revel Rail are all very cool and interesting options worth a look

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 0:13 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
God knows what you guys are riding through or cleaning your bikes with to get these issues. I just rinse mine with water and dish washing liquid, never grease the Switch and have zero bearing or Switch problems. I do try and shake all water off it and bring it in the house to dry as fast as possible though to stop the bearings getting seized. Bare in mind though even if the Kashima did wear on the Stanchions they are not creating an air tight seal, the Switch link will still move up and down with no issues.

Myself I ride in the south Wales valleys. Either steep climbs or even steeper technical natural wet muddy descents. If you are a bike park rider you may not get the mentioned issues.

O+
Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 8:00 Quote
I ride a sb150 currently but those GG bikes look fun. I'd like to ride one but I don't think it's slack enough for the stuff I really like to ride.

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
Ob917 wrote:
I ride a sb150 currently but those GG bikes look fun. I'd like to ride one but I don't think it's slack enough for the stuff I really like to ride.

Gnarvana is slacker than the 150 is. It’s essentially their take on a 29er 165.

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 14:17 Quote
Yeti's get so much hate I don't know why, I mean look at how many Specialized have cracked and now I just see this on mtbr.. talking about Switch being a problem, I rather have worn Switch stanchions than this happen any day of the week.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/new-fox-coil-shock-broke-on-a-new-specialized-bike-f-s-saying-the-two-are-now-incompatible-but-not-retroactively-help-what-to-do.1178215/

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 21:36 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Yeti's get so much hate I don't know why, I mean look at how many Specialized have cracked and now I just see this on mtbr.. talking about Switch being a problem, I rather have worn Switch stanchions than this happen any day of the week.

https://www.mtbr.com/threads/new-fox-coil-shock-broke-on-a-new-specialized-bike-f-s-saying-the-two-are-now-incompatible-but-not-retroactively-help-what-to-do.1178215/

That’s a well known issue with statements from Fox stating that shock doesn’t work. Decent explanation here https://www.mtbr.com/threads/mrp-hazzard.1078859/#post-13851615

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 6:51 Quote
DHhack wrote:
Ob917 wrote:

Gnarvana is slacker than the 150 is. It’s essentially their take on a 29er 165.
q

Oh dang you are right, I thought it was at 65'. Now I'm more interested in the GG

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 17:17 Quote
sdaly wrote:
"All bikes have issues" is hardly a good argument for a brand with over priced bikes. You can always buy that $10000 yeti hardtail to ride while waiting for new switch links, or warranty replacement for a cracked frame to arrive(yes, yeti's frames crack too just like everyone else's)

I don't really get the yeti being more expensive posts. They are pretty much the same price for similar builds as any other carbon non-direct-to-consumer bike. At least in Canada anyway.

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
ALSORAN wrote:
Myself I ride in the south Wales valleys. Either steep climbs or even steeper technical natural wet muddy descents. If you are a bike park rider you may not get the mentioned issues.

Interesting. I'm in the Seattle area of Washington state, so our PNW weather is anything but dry! Wet, muddy, rooty riding probably similar to what you are describing in the south Wales valleys. Good tip. Might have to think harder on that Trek Slash... only problem is that it would be a longer wait until it is in stock. Such is life these days.

O+
Posted: Feb 22, 2021 at 20:23 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:

Whoa!! that is wild! The Evo Stumpjumper looked cool, but that's a serious problem there!!!

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012750
Mobile Version of Website