38-40# tire pressure

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
38-40# tire pressure
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
Been riding tubeless longer than many of you have been alive. Tried the cushy low pressures. Always wind up burping, rolling or crushing rims.

Hammering DH with my standard 2.35-2.4” tires I would be grippy and able to ride the edge knobs without rolling the tires off the bead.

Riding 2.4-2.6” tires the rolling them over and getting squirrelly is even more pronounced at the commonly recommended 25# pressure. Sure that’s nice for climbing traction with conforming over sharp edges, but as soon as you pound down plowing babyheads you crunch the rims and need sidewall protection. Hence the trend of heavy DH tires and cushcore. Not my thing to add rolling weight though. So still riding 38#.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 19:02 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
Wider rims.

30mm wide.

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 13:37 Quote
not clear if you are asking a question.
Have you tried beefy non-DH casings like Schwalbe Supergravity, Michelin Enduro, Bontrager SE, etc?

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 19:57 Quote
I have the same issue, had to run at 30 for 2.3 tires, but changed tires and brands and running at 20 front (2.3 vittoria morsa) and I belive 26 rear (2.0 specialized fast track control)

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 22:34 Quote
You're not alone. I run 35psi in my 2.3 Aggressor.

There's a massive circlejerk around low pressure and inserts. Those guys go through a lot of rims and wheels.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 0:01 Quote
I'm running 20/21psi on 2.4 minion's and on 2.3 aggressor's 23/25psi

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 14:25 Quote
Dougal-SC wrote:

There's a massive circlejerk around low pressure and inserts. Those guys go through a lot of rims and wheels.

How do people ride rock gardens at speed or do rocky drops without crunching and squirming? Is it the terrain we ride or the hammering we do?

Posted: Feb 25, 2021 at 16:11 Quote
I use to run higher pressures but use cushcore so the psi is a bit lower than it use to be.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 3:42 Quote
Snake-Plisskin wrote:
Dougal-SC wrote:

How do people ride rock gardens at speed or do rocky drops without crunching and squirming? Is it the terrain we ride or the hammering we do?

Well some of them run tyres and inserts that make their carbon bike weigh 16kg. Others just seem to be okay with killing rims and tyres.

One ride we had a discussion about tyre pressures at the top and then on the way down three of us took hard hits to the rear wheels. Mine trued up. Theirs were destroyed.

Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 10:07 Quote
23 front/21 rear for the longest time, though as I get more aggressive, I'm now running 24f/22r. If I'm riding rocky terrain, I'll go up to 25/23. Never dented or cracked a rim. 170-175lbs.

35psi is a bit nuts. I've noticed it starts losing air through the sidewall casing at those pressures.

Make sure you use a digital tire pressure gauge. My floor pump says I'm at 40psi+ when my digital gauge reads 24psi. On my road bike, I'll be at 60psi and the floor pump will read 100psi.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006269
Mobile Version of Website