SJ and SJ EVO supply & demand confusion

PB Forum :: Specialized
SJ and SJ EVO supply & demand confusion
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 18, 2021 at 18:04 Quote
OK, so...
Originally wanted to order a new EVO expert for this season, have a beauty SJ expert so no prob' I can wait, BUT...

Industry complications have made it so 2021's were basically a n0-g0, sold out as soon as available in late 2020, or at least virtually impossible especially for XL/S5.
Contacting Specialized they told me that ordering by Feb' would mean I'm looking at a 2022 (?!).

Has this confused everyone else too? So without enough 2021's to meet demands and fulfill orders, and during the season of 2021 before the 2022's would usually be released for sale, it's like they're skipping 2021 and going to go right to 2022.
Will they be not changing anything on the 2022 models and the bikes will be basically the same? This also makes the 2021 marketing of all the SJ models kind of obsolete when looking at them on the website w/all the spec's and geo. AS IF ordering one now would be for anything else but next season.

Maybe many years from now.. the 2021 SJ and SJ EVO's will be a sought after commodity by collectors lol!

~JSV

O+
Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
Your best bet is to find a dealer that already has the bike you want ordered, and put down a deposit.

I was looking for a SJ Expert in S5 size and I had to call ~10 shops before i found one that was on their ordered list and not spoken for. Put down a 50% deposit and now waiting patiently. Ordered in November and supposed to arrive late March/April

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
And obviously you'll end up w/a new 2021. You're very fortunate, but it takes effort & patience. My regular bike shop in December--a Specialized dealer--wouldn't even take any new orders, and I tried to tempt them by offering to pay in full.

Turned out to be fate on my side. Instead of getting an older used bike for this season while I waited, I found the perfect bike in new condition (really new, still had the vent-spews on the tires and the UPC price sticker on the frame) and I'm set. Still may consider ordering a new EVO but after all this, and my investment in upgrades, I may wait to see if anything changes in availability or design changes. I love this SJ and don't have the desire for the EVO I did months ago. The geo on this suits me fine though.

Seriously hope you get that soon and don't have to wait T00 long!

~JSV

O+
Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
arrowheadrush wrote:
Your best bet is to find a dealer that already has the bike you want ordered, and put down a deposit.

I was looking for a SJ Expert in S5 size and I had to call ~10 shops before i found one that was on their ordered list and not spoken for. Put down a 50% deposit and now waiting patiently. Ordered in November and supposed to arrive late March/April

I am in the same boat as you, I called around and found a dealer that had 4 EVOs in my size on order and put a deposit down. I am just curious if you have received your bike or if you have heard any updates? The shop I ordered from still hasn't heard when they might arrive.

Posted: Mar 31, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
I wanted a SJ Expert but couldn't find one within 200 miles. Stumbled on an SJ EVO Expert 60 miles away and jumped on it. Couldn't be happier, been a perfect bike and I haven't thought of the non EVO since grabbing it. Just keep an eye on the website, it seems pretty accurate.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
s00pa'-d00pa'! Let's see that, post a pic. How long have you had it now, and are you considering the Cascade link?

~JSV

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
s00pa'-d00pa'! Let's see that, post a pic. How long have you had it now, and are you considering the Cascade link?

~JSV

Ha, it's (orange) in the mail! Just threw on an i9 stem in orange, replacing the goofy green CushCore stems with their orange ones in a minute. Orange AbsoluteBlack oval ring is also in the mail. I've got an orange WolfTooth seat binder on and orange Canfield Ultimate pedals on there too. I'll eventually grab some We Are One Unions with orange i9 Hydras too, these 360's are some slow dogs. I've also thrown the Ground Keeper Bagdal Brooky frame protection on there in blue. I'll get some pics once I've got the ring and Cascade link on there.

Awesome bike, adding it to the DeSalvo 29er single speed I've had for nearly 14 years. It's the perfect partner to that bike. When I swapped out the stems, I went ahead and threw in the +1 headset upper race to try it out a little more upright. I've actually had much fewer pedal strikes than I expected, or what I experienced on a rental Revel Rascal, but just thought I'd try out the more upright setting for my local rocky trails.

In a normal year, I get out to see my family in Santa Fe a few times a year, and I can tell that this thing in the low setting and -1 cup will be awesome on the South Boundary and Winsor. Really looking forward to getting out that way soon. Would also love to get back to Bootleg Canyon with it soon.

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 17:08 Quote
I messaged my bike shop the other day looking for an update on my EVO comp that I put a deposit down on in January. They told me it’s still in order and they have no ETA. They did tell me Specialized is potentially going to be canceling orders on shops and people for all kinds specialized bikes. I also have a Fuse ordered for my girlfriend so this super sucks. Totally preparing myself for neither of them to come in...

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 18:26 Quote
two13 wrote:
I messaged my bike shop the other day looking for an update on my EVO comp that I put a deposit down on in January. They told me it’s still in order and they have no ETA. They did tell me Specialized is potentially going to be canceling orders on shops and people for all kinds specialized bikes. I also have a Fuse ordered for my girlfriend so this super sucks. Totally preparing myself for neither of them to come in...
Yup, see that, it's a good thing I didn't expect the new EVO and pulled the trigger on this SJ expert.

I really hope this turns around and something changes for you. Do you have ANY FS bike to ride this season? I hope so anyway. I have a feeling this bike industry problem is going on for about another year. Remember these things are also delayed because of the demand by the COMPONNENTS companies too & people are waiting for their shocks, forks, brakes, cranks, everything--and that's draining on the orders for bike manufacturers.

yeah this is going to continue at least throughout this season still.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 18:29 Quote
bentin wrote:
Ha, it's (orange) in the mail!

YayAH! ORANGE. That's all I needed to hear. i9 stem too, orange, awesome.

You're gonna' love that link on there. It was like getting a custom upgrade to the shock.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 22:34 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
two13 wrote:
Yup, see that, it's a good thing I didn't expect the new EVO and pulled the trigger on this SJ expert.

I really hope this turns around and something changes for you. Do you have ANY FS bike to ride this season? I hope so anyway. I have a feeling this bike industry problem is going on for about another year. Remember these things are also delayed because of the demand by the COMPONNENTS companies too & people are waiting for their shocks, forks, brakes, cranks, everything--and that's draining on the orders for bike manufacturers.

yeah this is going to continue at least throughout this season still.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 1, 2021 at 22:49 Quote
I could be wrong but in January I don’t think anyone expected it to be this bad. People, including myself just wanted to lock down whatever they could and this was totally the bike I wanted. I have a feeling Shimano’s back log of parts could be an issue as the EVO comp is all Shimano. Another reason I wanted this bike.

Fortunately I do have a 2020 SJ carbon comp in the mean time which I am SOOOOOO glad I didn’t sell. I have a feeling I’m gonna be stuck on that thing this year. 1st world problems ha.

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 8:47 Quote
lol yeah 'stuck' with a 2020 carbon SJ.. at least you have a good problem there! Like I was saying that I went with getting this SJ expert because I knew waiting on that EVO was going to be throughout this season.

This'll all change. The industry will come back, EVOs will return, but it's going on longer that's all. It's refreshing to know that SO many people are mountain biking that there's this much demand.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
Hahaha I didn’t sound ungrateful there at all hey? It is a great bike and I am fortunate to have it. I just fell a little under biked at the bike park, that’s all. See what happens here in the next little bit. I may buy a used DH bike and keep the SJ.

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
I had money down on a reservation for a s5 comp or expert, whatever came first. But I found another shop across town had the evo s-works frame in stock in s6, so I decided to build one up instead. Spent a lot more on it, but I'll get what I want. Still waiting on other parts to arrive, might not actually see it until late May, but at least the frame is in hand.

I had a hunch some of the complete bikes on order might not materialize, I'm glad I trusted my gut after hearing your stories of further delay and possible cancellation.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.227933
Mobile Version of Website