Guide RS to Code R.... Disappointed

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Guide RS to Code R.... Disappointed
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 1:25 Quote
Been running Guide RS brakes for 2 years and was never that impressed. Played around with sintered pads, did a full bleed, and they just never seemed to have as much power as I want, and the lever travels quite far before bite point.

After reading reviews about Code R being more powerful and generally better, I bought some and fitted them yesterday. I stuck with SRAM as I have matchmakers for my shifter and dropper.

Fitted the codes (internal cable routing is a dick), fully bled them with new oil and fitted brand new pads yesterday.

Took the bike for a test ride and was a bit disappointed. The levers still travel just as much before biting. They didn't feel noticeably more powerful than the Guides.

I did the bleed using the SRAM bleed kit and following the SRAM youtube video. I've done loads of brake bleeding and both F and R brakes feel consistent, so I know the bleed isn't an issue.

Am I going to be blown away by the extra power next time I go for a proper ride? Or should I have gone for some Shimanos or something else?

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
First off, make sure you fully bed in the pads and then go for a proper ride. Sram pads take awhile and there's definitely a difference in power between the Guides and Codes.

With that being said, there no need to stick with sram brakes because of matchmaker. They have plenty of adapters to convert to/from iSpec series clamps that many brakes have. I use TRP DH-R EVO brakes (iSpec) with Eagle and used adapters to reduce the number of clamps on my bars: https://problemsolversbike.com/products/brakes/mismatch_-_30797

Shimano will be a whole host of different issues. Nobody really recommends going to Shimano, they all just deal with the wandering bite point.

Imo, the only two valid options right now are TRP DH-R and Shigura (Magura w/Shimano levers). Others may have other options that work, but everything else seems to have their own problems.

But try the Code's, first. You might be happy enough with them once they're fully bedded.

FL
Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
Also maybe you have slight rotor contamination? New pads and new brakes surely warrant new rotors too !

O+
Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
You won;t notice that much of an improvement going from Guide RS to Code R. You'll need to move up to the RSC lever on the Code to see a big imporovment. The Swinglink does help with the power.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011622
Mobile Version of Website