SB165 as your one bike

PB Forum :: Yeti
SB165 as your one bike
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 22:08 Quote
Owners of the 165, is this your one bike?

You gotta climb what you descend.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 16:49 Quote
It is mine but I don't climb much at all. It's a great all around bike, it does everything well but probably isn't the best at any one thing, it's more of a Jack of all trades bike. It arguably climbs better than my previous SB6 merely because the steep seat angle weights the front naturally without you feeling you have to exert energy to keep the front from wandering away or rear tyre slipping.

A word to some up the sb165 would be balanced. The geometry is great, probably the best thing about the bike, it can plow but still handle better than some trail bikes. It's not the absolute plushest bike ever made, it bobs fractionally more than an sb6, at least with coil anyway which is to be expected and has a firmer midstroke than some of those couch like bikes that bob like pigs with a horst link, like any Yeti it soaks up huge hits well but ultimately it's a supportive platform like all of Yeti's bikes, if you are looking for a bike that erases square edges entirely and blasts through the midstroke to do it like a Cube Stereo from 2015 then this is not your bike, it uses as much travel as it needs to take the sting off and that's about it, it's not a wallowy mess of a bike that gobbles everything up but feels like pedalling a dh bike... But overall it just feels like a bike you can do anything on, it doesn't feel extremely biased one way or another.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 17:10 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
It is mine but I don't climb much at all. It's a great all around bike, it does everything well but probably isn't the best at any one thing, it's more of a Jack of all trades bike. It arguably climbs better than my previous SB6 merely because the steep seat angle weights the front naturally without you feeling you have to exert energy to keep the front from wandering away or rear tyre slipping.

A word to some up the sb165 would be balanced. The geometry is great, probably the best thing about the bike, it can plow but still handle better than some trail bikes. It's not the absolute plushest bike ever made, it bobs fractionally more than an sb6, at least with coil anyway which is to be expected and has a firmer midstroke than some of those couch like bikes that bob like pigs with a horst link, like any Yeti it soaks up huge hits well but ultimately it's a supportive platform like all of Yeti's bikes, if you are looking for a bike that erases square edges entirely and blasts through the midstroke to do it like a Cube Stereo from 2015 then this is not your bike, it uses as much travel as it needs to take the sting off and that's about it, it's not a wallowy mess of a bike that gobbles everything up but feels like pedalling a dh bike... But overall it just feels like a bike you can do anything on, it doesn't feel extremely biased one way or another.

Thanks for that. I had an opportunity come up by random chance, and I leapt at it. Picked up a TURQ large frame locally with the Fox DHX2. He had a few different spring weights and I chose a 500 lb spring. Just need to source and find a 650B rear wheel. My previous Yeti which was some years ago was a 5.5 and I was not happy with that frames geometry. I have much higher expectations for this SB165. With my previous few bikes being 29ers I am compensating because (well I have the components already.)

Fox performance 29 160mm fork with 44 offset with a GRIP damper. Keeping with a 160mm travel to compensate for the 29 wheel. Using a short 30mm length stem because I’m 5’8 on a large frame (which I’ve ridden large frames now for the past four or five frames and love the length and feel of a large) compared to my most recent frame, the large was the closest geometry to match. Short stem and slamming the saddle forwards. One 10mm spacer under the stem (again compensate for the fork and wheel.) Still winter here in Utah, so I’ll be taking easy with a few days here or there depending on weather and see how it feels. Worse case I swap out the front wheel for a 650B.

The main reason for the 29 front is not only because I already have the parts, but because my wheelset is an expensive AF and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed them for the past couple years. Never thought to go back to a 650B frame as I’ve enjoyed 29ers for a few years now. But the opportunity arose and I didn’t want to pass it up. Passed up an SB150 as the frames color was a turn off and the SB165 was a better color and with a coil and more travel, I was impressed to buy it. But more research and I’m hoping this idea of mine works well in reality that I’ll be able to keep this as is.

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 at 17:19 Quote
You will be happy with it, especially the geometry, it's night and day better than previous Yeti's in that respect, a really big improvement so you can stop worrying about that one. I'm the same height as you but running a medium and currently 50mm stem. It doesn't feel too big or too small, I could comfortably have a larger reach and that would be fine and if you are mulleting it the reach will shorten again on your large so maybe for mulleting at our height large is the better option, the seat tube will slacken a bit though but you can just push the saddle forwards to compensate.
So yea in terms of fit and handling you will be stoked with it. If you like your suspension to feel super mushy like a Capra it's not like that, but the geo is so great you can still charge everything at mach chicken and the bike will take it. This isn't to say it isn't plush, it is, but if we are nitpicking it's not the absolute most active suspension platform... But it will offer you great support on jumps etc and it stays super glued to the ground unless you actively try to bunny hop it etc

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004755
Mobile Version of Website