2021 Troy Reviews
O+
Posted: Nov 7, 2021 at 16:22 Quote
DVO offers a custom tune it looks like.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 4:22 Quote
Karvamakkara wrote:
Biggs427 wrote:
maxxx wrote:
Forgot to mention, with size-proportional rear triangles, the XL frame may possibly have better clearance than other sizes so I can't say if smaller sizes will clear 55mm stroke shocks.

I just installed a Mara Pro 185x55 on a small alloy frame with no clearance issue.

I planned on make the stroke shorter but I think I may leave it as it is.

How did it affect the travel and how has your bike been holding up. Calculated my self. It changes your travel to 146,72mm

The bike is holding up perfectly fine. Did you find a leverage curve graph to come up with that travel number? Using the average leverage ratio you'd get 146.67mm travel. I would think extrapolating the leverage curve would give you something slightly lower for the actual value.

Regardless, the coil shock has certainly given the bike a much more planted feel, and the 550lb spring and my ~200LB riding weight hasn't resulted in any harsh bottom outs. I'm only in my second season of trail riding so I'm not going huge, but progressing quickly. The harshest hits I routinely take are 2-3ft drops to flat. There are some high speed chunky sections of trail where I now struggle to keep my feet on the pedals. Some shock tuning would probably help somewhat, but I'll be trying clipless over winter.

Posted: Nov 8, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
maxxx wrote:
Karvamakkara wrote:
Biggs427 wrote:

I just installed a Mara Pro 185x55 on a small alloy frame with no clearance issue.

I planned on make the stroke shorter but I think I may leave it as it is.

How did it affect the travel and how has your bike been holding up. Calculated my self. It changes your travel to 146,72mm

The bike is holding up perfectly fine. Did you find a leverage curve graph to come up with that travel number? Using the average leverage ratio you'd get 146.67mm travel. I would think extrapolating the leverage curve would give you something slightly lower for the actual value.

Regardless, the coil shock has certainly given the bike a much more planted feel, and the 550lb spring and my ~200LB riding weight hasn't resulted in any harsh bottom outs. I'm only in my second season of trail riding so I'm not going huge, but progressing quickly. The harshest hits I routinely take are 2-3ft drops to flat. There are some high speed chunky sections of trail where I now struggle to keep my feet on the pedals. Some shock tuning would probably help somewhat, but I'll be trying clipless over winter.
For my weight at 180 lbs, would you reccomend a 550 spring? I ride drops up to 6 or 7 feet and race occasionally and prefer a stiffer setup

Posted: Nov 9, 2021 at 3:55 Quote
I'm about 190lbs without kit, 200 with, and I tried various spring calculators that all agreed on(or at least rounded to) a 550lb spring. I wouldn't say my setup feels stiff, I honestly haven't measured the sag either, but I think if you prefer a stiffer setup it's probably worth looking at going up a spring rate, a progressive spring for more bottom out resistance, or a better yet, a Sprindex which will give you some adjustability in your spring rate and allow you go between the typical 50lb increments.

O+
Posted: Nov 12, 2021 at 19:46 Quote
Bumped my fork to 160. Pretty sweet. Dropped the DHF/Dissector combo for some Bonty XR4 2.6/2.4 tires. Bike feels a lot faster. Sitting at 31.3 lbs.

photo

Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 8:36 Quote
How does the bike feel with the xr4 tires? I assume they are alot lighter and faster rolling

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2021 at 10:46 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
How does the bike feel with the xr4 tires? I assume they are alot lighter and faster rolling

They’re my favorite tires. Not because they grip better than other tires but the weight to traction combo is really good. The casing has a really nice feel as well. They’re a little thin but I’m not a tire destroyer. Bike pedals noticeably better. They’re hard to find right now. The one on the rear I got from my buddy after doing a lower service on his fork.

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 12:36 Quote
Avelema27 wrote:
Hey Everyone.
I now own a troy alloy/carbon mix and I have really enjoyed the bike. I have swapped out the fork damper to the grip 2 and increased the travel to 160 but I am not really getting along with the dpx2 shock that came stock. I have been looking at getting a coil maybe the new dhx but I have no clue what spring rate to go with. I like my suspension on the stiffer side and in all my riding gear I am 180lbs.
Thanks,

How do you like the Grip2 vs the Grip? I’ve got the stock GX 140/150 performance kit on my 2022. Considering going to mullet and coil dhx rear, with a 160 grip 2 up front.

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 16:15 Quote
Chrisgus wrote:
Avelema27 wrote:
Hey Everyone.
I now own a troy alloy/carbon mix and I have really enjoyed the bike. I have swapped out the fork damper to the grip 2 and increased the travel to 160 but I am not really getting along with the dpx2 shock that came stock. I have been looking at getting a coil maybe the new dhx but I have no clue what spring rate to go with. I like my suspension on the stiffer side and in all my riding gear I am 180lbs.
Thanks,

How do you like the Grip2 vs the Grip? I’ve got the stock GX 140/150 performance kit on my 2022. Considering going to mullet and coil dhx rear, with a 160 grip 2 up front.

The grip 2 damper was 100% worth the upgrade for me. It has made there be so much more support while being more sensitive then the grip damper. It also has more control on big hits since you can tune the HSR independently. For a shock I will be installing the ohlins ttx22m as I have found most fox shocks have too much HSC damping which makes them harsh when you are deep in the travel. How have you gotten along with your troy?

Posted: Nov 15, 2021 at 20:40 Quote
Anyone know if a 185x55 shock will work on a carbon large 2021 troy?

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 9:30 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
It should fit but according to devinci's ig it voids the warranty.

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:

Fits fine. Hang onto the stock shock in case of warranty issues, but my shop told me even that wasn't necessary. Also you can just put a 2.5mm shim in it if you're concerned.

Posted: Nov 16, 2021 at 13:56 Quote
maxxx wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

Fits fine. Hang onto the stock shock in case of warranty issues, but my shop told me even that wasn't necessary. Also you can just put a 2.5mm shim in it if you're concerned.

What shock were you looking at getting in that size?

Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 6:42 Quote
Avelema27 wrote:
maxxx wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

I'm running a Cane Creek coil. See page 3 of the thread for info.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 15:04 Quote
maxxx wrote:
Avelema27 wrote:
maxxx wrote:

I'm running a Cane Creek coil. See page 3 of the thread for info.
How have you liked the cane creek? I found one 20% off in the right size. Do you recommend it?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012288
Mobile Version of Website