2021 Troy Reviews

PB Forum :: Devinci
2021 Troy Reviews
Posted: Jan 1, 2022 at 11:22 Quote
ManyTrails wrote:
Avelema27 wrote:
In the pictures it uses the same one as last year however in the spec sheet says float x.

Aaaaand it's back to the DPX2. Now I'm worried my brand new bike is going to be $300 more expensive AND come with an old shock Frown

The Devinci rep told me it would be the Float X, but then why go to the trouble of changing the website back I wonder...

https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes-2021/mountain/troy-carb-alu-gx12s-black-edition/
It’s because you are on the 2021 website the model you are looking at should be the 2022.
Plus there isn’t a huge difference between the two shocks it’s really just the bottom out bumper. Also the dpx2 with a lighter HSC tune is actually really good on the Troy.

Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 12:41 Quote
Avelema27 wrote:
ManyTrails wrote:
Avelema27 wrote:
In the pictures it uses the same one as last year however in the spec sheet says float x.

Aaaaand it's back to the DPX2. Now I'm worried my brand new bike is going to be $300 more expensive AND come with an old shock Frown

The Devinci rep told me it would be the Float X, but then why go to the trouble of changing the website back I wonder...

https://www.devinci.com/en/bikes-2021/mountain/troy-carb-alu-gx12s-black-edition/
It’s because you are on the 2021 website the model you are looking at should be the 2022.
Plus there isn’t a huge difference between the two shocks it’s really just the bottom out bumper. Also the dpx2 with a lighter HSC tune is actually really good on the Troy.

Oh ok, I hope you're right. I was confused because I just went to Devinci's website, clicked on the troy, and the particular model has the "New" label beside it as well. Even if I google "2022 Troy" it takes me to the sample place. Also if I change the web address to "2022" where it says "2021" it gives me an error. I must just be somehow in the wrong place.

I was just reading this, but it seems like the differences are more than just a bumper: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/mountain-bike/a36175332/fox-float-x-2022-fox-dhx-review/

Sounds like it has better adjustability, tunability, and feel. I guess I was just feeling like I wanted the latest & greatest spending $6K on a bike, so when I saw the old shock I was disappointed.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Jan 3, 2022 at 7:10 Quote
ManyTrails wrote:
Avelema27 wrote:
ManyTrails wrote:

Oh ok, I hope you're right. I was confused because I just went to Devinci's website, clicked on the troy, and the particular model has the "New" label beside it as well. Even if I google "2022 Troy" it takes me to the sample place. Also if I change the web address to "2022" where it says "2021" it gives me an error. I must just be somehow in the wrong place.

I was just reading this, but it seems like the differences are more than just a bumper: https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/mountain-bike/a36175332/fox-float-x-2022-fox-dhx-review/

Sounds like it has better adjustability, tunability, and feel. I guess I was just feeling like I wanted the latest & greatest spending $6K on a bike, so when I saw the old shock I was disappointed.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah I totally understand wanting the latest and greatest on a bike. When I rode the float x I honestly found it wasn’t too much different and I still found that it had too much HSC so either shock could use a lighter compression tune to allow for a usable range of low speed instead of having it too open to make high speed hits feel good. I’m happy with my ohlins now though!

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 11:54 Quote

Finally after lots of discussion and thoughts, I have replaced the X2 with coil.
the most important difference (except small bumbs disappeared) is the superior mid stroke support that DHX2 offers.
It is heavier , almost 400gr, but who really cares.
Now I feel the bike to be more ballanced (the fork is Ohlins coil)
the difference in performance depends on the terrain you ride.
Here, in Athens,GR there are not so rocky trails to take advantage of a coil shock and I do not try big jumps.
If you have a X2 just keep it.
If you have a DPX2 and you want to upgrade, the coil is a good choice.
the overall performance of DHX2 is 10-15% better than X2.
I felt the fork was a better improvement when I changed the FOX 36 grip2.

a few words for the numbers.
I followed the advice from tftuned.
I am 190lb (full kit) and I ordered a 550 spring.
my sag is 14mm (28%) with minimum preload.
I have opened the LSC (17 out of 1Cool and there is barely same bob when pedalling (the lockout is firm)
I set the HSC to 5 (out of Cool and there is almost 10mm of unused stroke (as picture)
When I set it to 7, I had all of 55mm of the stroke ( I followed the advice of a guy in this forum that set the stroke from 52,5 to 55 whithout any issues-the frame is L).

maybe a 525 spring would be a better choice but I am afraid to lose that mid stroke support.

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 6:21 Quote
TZAK wrote:

maybe a 525 spring would be a better choice but I am afraid to lose that mid stroke support.

I’d probably stick with the 550 as I’m running a 525 for my 170ish lb riding weight at around 25% sag and find the midstroke support amazing. With my shock it feels very sensitive still and has great support throughout the travel.

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 7:28 Quote
For what its worth i Personally found the x2 to work better with less sag and more open compression. Had some problems with getting weight on the front tire and this solved it. The coil looks pretty rad on there.

Anyone take out the .3 volume spacer the x2 on the troy comes with?

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 11:52 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
For what its worth i Personally found the x2 to work better with less sag and more open compression. Had some problems with getting weight on the front tire and this solved it. The coil looks pretty rad on there.

I have had the volume spacer removed in order to be able to get the 52,5mm of the stroke. But I had hardly used the 45mm. I think I was running sag at 35% but never got the bottom out of X2.

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 15:56 Quote
TZAK wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

I have had the volume spacer removed in order to be able to get the 52,5mm of the stroke. But I had hardly used the 45mm. I think I was running sag at 35% but never got the bottom out of X2.

Huh, interesting. Would be nice to get more than 120mm travel eh! That said, has anyone tried removing the 2.5mm travel spacer on the float x2? Does the chainstay contact the frame? Im on a carbon large frame

Posted: Jan 5, 2022 at 16:54 Quote
I felt the same with the X2. Could never come close to bottoming it out. I have a DPX2 on there now and find it more linear and rides nice.

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 4:20 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
TZAK wrote:
ibishreddin wrote:

Huh, interesting. Would be nice to get more than 120mm travel eh! That said, has anyone tried removing the 2.5mm travel spacer on the float x2? Does the chainstay contact the frame? Im on a carbon large frame

Can confirm XL aluminum has tons of clearance for 55mm stroke (see my coil shock post on page 3). A few other have chimed in to say it fits other sizes too.

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 6:59 Quote
I swapped my fork to lyrik and theres a gap between the fork crown and headtube, is this too big or abnormal

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 7:31 Quote
Karvamakkara wrote:
I swapped my fork to lyrik and theres a gap between the fork crown and headtube, is this too big or abnormal

Did you change the pressed on piece at the base of the steerer? Is it the one that came with the headset?

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 7:36 Quote
It looks like you are missing the crown race. Did you switch it over from the old fork?

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 8:45 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
It looks like you are missing the crown race. Did you switch it over from the old fork?
i was able to find time so i fixed it tonight. Forgot to swap crown races

Posted: Jan 12, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
i was able to find time so i fixed it tonight. Forgot to swap crown races

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009442
Mobile Version of Website