2021 Troy Reviews

PB Forum :: Devinci
2021 Troy Reviews
O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
I'm debating dropping travel in the fork from 160mm to 150mm. I'm wondering if the challenge I have with the fox 36 feeling stiff and floaty would be diminished with the shorter travel and more weight on the front wheel. I don't think it would harm the bike's characteristics, but thought I would check to see if anyone has run both 150mm and 160mm on their Troy and noticed any tangible difference?

I'm likely going to install a Secus at the same time, but that may depend on any input from the above question.

Thanks all!

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 8:19 Quote
Why not just drop the stem 10mm?

O+
Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 8:30 Quote
A good suggestion, I actually did just that on my last ride and it helped a bit, but still had similar behavior from the fork, probably because I had to air the fork up a bit to compensate for the extra weight forward.

I'm going to try to drop the stem another 5mm, much lower than that and it starts to hurt my wrists.

I've tried different pressures in the fork too, lower psi makes it more planted but it loses support and sits too far into the mid-stroke.

Posted: Sep 10, 2022 at 5:40 Quote
Anyone having some sort of creaking at the head set, head tube ,fork crown area ? Mine started clicking at the second ride and got worse from there

O+
Posted: Sep 10, 2022 at 7:21 Quote
I have not had any issues with headset. Have had it apart multiple times. Was the fork new? CSU creaks seem to somewhat frequent nowadays.

Hope you can figure it out!

Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 6:42 Quote
Turns out there was no grease in the head set...problem solved... bike was 8 rides so almost new...

Posted: Sep 26, 2022 at 14:44 Quote
Is anyone 6’0” with a 34.5” inseam (pardon the freedom units - 876mm equivalent) riding an XL frame troy?

Any comments on living/coping with the long seat tube dimension?

495mm seat tube is a huge jump from 445 on a large… ( I know I really need need a large- but XLs are more available and more on sale…)

I think I might just barely be able to run a shimmed down 190mm oneup twoten dropper post and be pretty close to old 2019 Troy lowered seat height when I ran 170mm dropper…

One upside of XL frame would be a very roomy cockpit- I think I would appreciate that.

Posted: Sep 27, 2022 at 15:26 Quote
brontoboardman wrote:
Is anyone 6’0” with a 34.5” inseam (pardon the freedom units - 876mm equivalent) riding an XL frame troy?

495mm seat tube is a huge jump from 445 on a large… ( I know I really need need a large- but XLs are more available and more on sale…)

I think I might just barely be able to run a shimmed down 190mm oneup twoten dropper post and be pretty close to old 2019 Troy lowered seat height when I ran 170mm dropper…

One upside of XL frame would be a very roomy cockpit- I think I would appreciate that.

Do your local trails have any kind of tight turns? I made the mistake of getting a L at 5'11'' and it was too long for me should have gone with the 465mm reach medium.

Posted: Sep 27, 2022 at 17:51 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
brontoboardman wrote:

Do your local trails have any kind of tight turns? I made the mistake of getting a L at 5'11'' and it was too long for me should have gone with the 465mm reach medium.
I’m around 5,11” as well and I love my medium. I definitely wouldn’t want to go a whole lot bigger seeing as you are only about an inch taller I think the xl would be a bit unmanageable. I know you said it is easier to get and xl but that would definitely be a big bike for you.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 14:45 Quote
I'm selling the Rock Shox Super Deluxe Ultimate I had on my Troy if anyone is interested

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3456249/

Shock is excellent but got a new frame so my Troy frame going up for sale soon as well.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 17:09 Quote
@Tinshield - What did you end up going with for your new ride? I've just never fully been completely happy with the Troy. I think it's just too much bike for my local trails and I have other bikes I like better for trips away. I also could just never get it to feel 'right' for me.

I'm debating maybe something different for a replacement (Druid), but aren't in any rush at this point.

O+
Posted: Oct 3, 2022 at 19:21 Quote
brettbob wrote:
@Tinshield - What did you end up going with for your new ride? I've just never fully been completely happy with the Troy. I think it's just too much bike for my local trails and I have other bikes I like better for trips away. I also could just never get it to feel 'right' for me.

I'm debating maybe something different for a replacement (Druid), but aren't in any rush at this point.

I just ordered a Stumpjumper EVO frame from Specialized. They’re 25% off at the moment ($2175). S-Works version is also on sale. I have a regular Stumpy as well which is awesome. Best my Troy felt was with the Rock Shox shock on it. Never loved it though. Always felt big and just overly stiff. So same deal just a weird experience with this Troy. Always was hunting a good feeling setup and just felt like shit most of the time. Disappointing.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2022 at 3:50 Quote
The EVO is really nice. Agree on the big and overly stiff description for the Troy. I have the back end feeling pretty decent with a coil shock, but have just struggled with the fork. Not sure if I'm just not able to get enough weight on it, but it just just seems to ping off everything no matter the psi and compression settings. I was able to improve it a bit with a Secus, but the overall experience has been pretty 'meh'. I think it's just a bike built for rowdier places and the only time it starts to feel good is at super fast speeds.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2022 at 8:28 Quote
brettbob wrote:
The EVO is really nice. Agree on the big and overly stiff description for the Troy. I have the back end feeling pretty decent with a coil shock, but have just struggled with the fork. Not sure if I'm just not able to get enough weight on it, but it just just seems to ping off everything no matter the psi and compression settings. I was able to improve it a bit with a Secus, but the overall experience has been pretty 'meh'. I think it's just a bike built for rowdier places and the only time it starts to feel good is at super fast speeds.

100%, you hit the nail on the head. I've had a 36 Grip 2 and a Lyrik on mine. Lyrik is a bit better but both have been a bear to dial in for overall performance. Just seems the bike only feels good to me with 30+% sag on both ends otherwise it's just harsh. My 2018 Troy was a better all around bike I think. When they said the 21 was not as stiff, etc, I figured it would be better but I am not seeing any difference. Back end is not all that complaint when standing either. My Stumpy is not all that stiff but it doesn't hamper it's performance in my opinion. At 130mm travel the Stumpy feels more compliant. I ride a lot more roots and rocks and it's a lot more complaint and forgiving. Both my bikes have the exact same cockpit length as well. I do agree that a very aggressive rider would get more out of it. I do like the bike at the parks but then I think that I want more rear travel LOL.

O+
Posted: Dec 1, 2022 at 9:49 Quote
Anyone run a CC DBCoil or Coil IL? Just sent in my X2 for warranty so was thinking of trying either one of those. Wondering how the IL coil would do.

I have rotated bikes a lot the last couple years and have to say the Troy has been one of my favorites of any travel. I decided to keep it as I rotate others in and out. Wanted to see how the X2 comes back from warranty so thininking of a coil or possibly a Kitsuma Air.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011035
Mobile Version of Website