2021 Troy Reviews

PB Forum :: Devinci
2021 Troy Reviews
Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 2:53 Quote
Yamaha168 wrote:
That’s funny, I was thinking the same thing, I just purchased a set of Nobl wheels for my Troy and I’m going to experiment with exo+ tires instead of DD. I will say though that when the speed is up on the rough trails the DD tires really are nice

I’m not that fast :-)

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 11:32 Quote
Saw that the new troy has a 185 x 52.5 size shock. That's a really hard-to-find shock and it looks like you can't buy it from the larger companies. If you throw a coil back there can you get a 185 x 55 and put a 52.5 stroke coil to shorten it?

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 12:22 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
Saw that the new troy has a 185 x 52.5 size shock. That's a really hard-to-find shock and it looks like you can't buy it from the larger companies. If you throw a coil back there can you get a 185 x 55 and put a 52.5 stroke coil to shorten it?

I picked up a Cane Creek DB Coil for steal (from the Feb Online Deals) in 185x55, will report back when I have actually have the bike on hand. I'm hopeful it will fit as is and add ~7mm of travel (based on average leverage ratio). Still at a loss as to what spring rate to run. I'm around 200lbs kitted, shock shipped with a 400lb spring that I imagine will be much too soft.

Posted: Mar 23, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
I believe it's possible to make a DHX2 coil in that size, but I don't know how. Here's proof

fast forward to 1:57

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PuPMY3JnAc

Posted: Apr 8, 2021 at 12:13 Quote
Good ride today though my legs were junk.

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/23665262/

2021 Devinci Troy

Swapped out my old Bontrager XR4's for Maxxis 2.4 Dissectors. The Maxxis are heavier than the 2.4 XR4 but the same as the 2.6 XR4 but seem to have more cornering grip. They are definitely more narrow with less volume too but felt good. Most importantly they roll fast.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 6:23 Quote
Since there's been discussion of coil shocks, here's my XL aluminum with a 185x55 Cane Creek DB Coil. Zero fitment issues, the last photo shows the seat stay bridge to seat tube clearance with the spring removed and me standing on the pedals to compress the bump stop, still a solid 20mm of clearance. Only gripe is the shock hardware is 40mm, much bigger than the spring diameter so changing a spring requires pressing out the hardware.

Still awaiting delivery of a 550lb spring but the local trails should finally be rideable this weekend so I'll be able to get some riding impressions with the air shock.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
Forgot to mention, with size-proportional rear triangles, the XL frame may possibly have better clearance than other sizes so I can't say if smaller sizes will clear 55mm stroke shocks.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 20:02 Quote
maxxx wrote:
Forgot to mention, with size-proportional rear triangles, the XL frame may possibly have better clearance than other sizes so I can't say if smaller sizes will clear 55mm stroke shocks.

Good to know, I think the new frames have a slightly different design but should still support it. This might sound crazy I just don't know if I want that extra travel. Usually I would just buy a longer 185 x 55 air shock for it, then buy a 2.5mm stroke spacer from Fox so it's the correct 185 x 52.5. I just want to go coil because the new Troy is so progressive, but I can't figure out how to get a DHX2 in that size and there are no stroke spacers for coil shocks.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 4:07 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
maxxx wrote:

Good to know, I think the new frames have a slightly different design but should still support it. This might sound crazy I just don't know if I want that extra travel. Usually I would just buy a longer 185 x 55 air shock for it, then buy a 2.5mm stroke spacer from Fox so it's the correct 185 x 52.5. I just want to go coil because the new Troy is so progressive, but I can't figure out how to get a DHX2 in that size and there are no stroke spacers for coil shocks.

Using the average leverage ratio (1:2.667) the additional 2.5mm should only result in about 6.6mm extra travel, but because of the progressivity it should actually be a bit less. I can't find a leverage curve for this frame to extrapolate a more accurate figure, but I would guess it's closer 5mm additional travel, not something I think I'd be able to notice but of course you always have the option to shim the stroke shorter after the fact.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 5:04 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
but I can't figure out how to get a DHX2 in that size and there are no stroke spacers for coil shocks.

The DHX2 also has spacers to reduce travel. It's a 1 minute job to add/remove them too, very simple. The 185x50, 185x52.5, and 185x55 are all the same shock. To get a 52.5, buy a 50 and remove the 2.5 spacers (I just did this). You can remove the other 2.5 spacers to also make it a 55 if you want.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:
but I can't figure out how to get a DHX2 in that size and there are no stroke spacers for coil shocks.

The DHX2 also has spacers to reduce travel. It's a 1 minute job to add/remove them too, very simple. The 185x50, 185x52.5, and 185x55 are all the same shock. To get a 52.5, buy a 50 and remove the 2.5 spacers (I just did this). You can remove the other 2.5 spacers to also make it a 55 if you want.

On my DB Coil it looks like it should be a simple matter of unthreading the lower eyelet and and adding a washer behind the bump stop. I would think a nylon washer from the hardware store would do just fine in a pinch, drill out the ID if need be.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:

That makes sense, also the new DHX comes in a 185 x 52.5 also.

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 20:33 Quote
First real session with my Troy 2021 GX carbon. Although I’m not in mid-season shape, climbing with it was painful and it felt heavy - more so than my Commencal meta 2019 which was 34lbs. It was good and balanced in technical climbs, but heavy on enduro climbing trails.

Did you guys feel that as well? Would switching to high setting help?

Going down felt really good right off the bat, it felt stable and passed anyt obstacle with ease.

Posted: May 1, 2021 at 20:49 Quote
I have the Ltd model extra large, it weighs 35 pounds. That’s heavy in my opinion but it shreds down. I come from xc racing and enjoy suffering the Troy is a challenge to climb at a decent pace, I’ve just accepted it. Climb up at a decent pace and be rewarded in the downs. I switched to non DD tires and that helped climbing but I like the DD tires to much the downs so they went back on. For me the high or low rear shock switch didn’t really help with efficiency.

Posted: May 2, 2021 at 18:59 Quote
FXavierRobert wrote:
First real session with my Troy 2021 GX carbon. Although I’m not in mid-season shape, climbing with it was painful and it felt heavy - more so than my Commencal meta 2019 which was 34lbs. It was good and balanced in technical climbs, but heavy on enduro climbing trails.

Did you guys feel that as well? Would switching to high setting help?

Going down felt really good right off the bat, it felt stable and passed anyt obstacle with ease.

Mine is about 31lbs with carbon wheels and EXO Dissectors. My 2019 was a little lighter due to the Pike vs 36 and seemed like it may have climbed a little better with the shorter stays and wheelbase. Just to be clear we’re talking about non-tech climbs. The 2021 just feels like a bigger bike. It’s almost too much for the riding I do most of the time and I’m grabbing my 2018 Django more than I did when I had the 2019 Troy. I’m still sorting it out. I’ve been in high since day one due to the trails I ride.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008978
Mobile Version of Website