2021 Troy Reviews

PB Forum :: Devinci
2021 Troy Reviews
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 4:25 Quote
My XL Aluminum Deore weighed in at 35lbs off the shop floor. I've since swapped the bar and stem to a carbon Chromag BZA and Race Face Atlas 35x35mm stem, I stripped the threads on left crank first ride so replaced them with XT. Haven't weight it since, but hopefully this is enough offset the added weight of the coil shock.

I cut a tire minutes into a ride this weekend and that's when I realized my tires were EXO casing, not Double Down. Has anyone else encountered this? hopefully it wasn't bike shop shenanigans. I'm rotted not just because of the cut tire, but also because I won't see the weight savings of switching to EXO+ after the stock DDs wear out.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 5:50 Quote
maxxx wrote:
My XL Aluminum Deore weighed in at 35lbs off the shop floor. I've since swapped the bar and stem to a carbon Chromag BZA and Race Face Atlas 35x35mm stem, I stripped the threads on left crank first ride so replaced them with XT. Haven't weight it since, but hopefully this is enough offset the added weight of the coil shock.

I cut a tire minutes into a ride this weekend and that's when I realized my tires were EXO casing, not Double Down. Has anyone else encountered this? hopefully it wasn't bike shop shenanigans. I'm rotted not just because of the cut tire, but also because I won't see the weight savings of switching to EXO+ after the stock DDs wear out.

I am always surprised how many people seem to need DD tires. I ride rocky areas but don't often have issues. I don't think I've ever ripped a sidewall in 25 yrs. Might just be luck of the draw. I honestly hate heavy tires. I like the climbs as much as the downs and the last thing I was to feel is heavy ass wheels and tires.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
maxxx wrote:

I am always surprised how many people seem to need DD tires. I ride rocky areas but don't often have issues. I don't think I've ever ripped a sidewall in 25 yrs. Might just be luck of the draw. I honestly hate heavy tires. I like the climbs as much as the downs and the last thing I was to feel is heavy ass wheels and tires.

Depends on your trails I guess. Here in Newfoundland the majority of the trails are lumpy granite, but some areas have really sharp shale.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
maxxx wrote:
Tinshield wrote:
maxxx wrote:

Depends on your trails I guess. Here in Newfoundland the majority of the trails are lumpy granite, but some areas have really sharp shale.

Shale will definitely get you.

O+
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 15:15 Quote
I get it the Troy is a big bike for a 140 rear end. Yesterday we were doing some very technical climbing and it was great, not fast or efficient but tractored it’s way up.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
My custom LTD is 31lbs and I find it to be a very good climbing bike. It's not as efficient as the ripmo, switchblade or SB130LR on long pedal ups but it might be one of the best slow speed, punchy, technical climbers I have ever owned. It is a very dialed overall bike.

photo

O+
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
brolo wrote:
My custom LTD is 31lbs and I find it to be a very good climbing bike. It's not as efficient as the ripmo, switchblade or SB130LR on long pedal ups but it might be one of the best slow speed, punchy, technical climbers I have ever owned. It is a very dialed overall bike.

photo

Have to agree on the tech climbs. It amazes me what I can climb sometimes.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 20:47 Quote
Gx carbon Troy comes in the 6th. Stoked. Only things that will be changed is drivetrain to garbaruk 10 speed and zeb

O+
Posted: May 5, 2021 at 14:41 Quote
Tinshield wrote:

I feel this way too, and ride pretty aggressively. I do sometimes get flats/slashes, but pretty rare. I guess it depends on your terrain. I'm in the Pacific NW.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 6:28 Quote
photo

First ride yesterday. Impressed so far. As pictured, 30.3 lbs without the bottle/cage/pump/EDC tool.

Bike feels like it has way more travel than it does. Very similar feel to my Spartan. IMO very different feel from my Django. Could be due to the coil, I'll probably throw the X2 on at some point to see the difference. Super active over bumps and very playful. Bike seems to want to pop off everything. I was landing a bit deeper and further off everything than I'm used to. Soaks up landings and bigger impacts very very well. May be riding a bit low in its travel so will try a higher spring rate. No complaints with the climbing either, Devinci's have never been the best climbers as the suspension is very active, price you pay to have it feel so good on the way back down. But I don't think it climbs any worse than any other comparable split pivot Devinci I've owned. I was going to put a 38 on the front, but it's back ordered so the 36 was to be temporary, however I may cancel the 38 and just stick with the 36 as it seems to be a good fit for this bike.

I'm finding chain slap to be an issue. I'm running a 28t ring (with a 10-42 cassette). The chain seems to run closer to the chainstay than it did with this same setup on my Spartan. Really only a mm or 2 clearance at times so you can really hear it rattling around. Still trying to figure out a solution for this.

And anyone else find the internal routing for the dropper to be a pain in the ass? The way it exits the front of the seat tube behind the shock at an awkward angle and then bends under the lower shock mount cable guide makes it very difficult to slide up and down in the seat tube for setup. I actually resorted to removing the shock to get the dropper setup.

Looking forward to getting more ride time on it.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 7:14 Quote
I’ve been riding my Django more this season so far. The new Troy is sitting more. To me it’s just a bigger bike and I’m getting older and my type of riding, though faster, is safer and more XC oriented.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
I see myself still riding my Django more as well, as most local stuff around here is pure XC. My Django is nearly 5 lbs lighter than the Troy with light wheels and XC tires. Troy is more of a destination bike for me.

Posted: May 30, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
photo

First ride yesterday. Impressed so far. As pictured, 30.3 lbs without the bottle/cage/pump/EDC tool.

Bike feels like it has way more travel than it does. Very similar feel to my Spartan. IMO very different feel from my Django. Could be due to the coil, I'll probably throw the X2 on at some point to see the difference. Super active over bumps and very playful. Bike seems to want to pop off everything. I was landing a bit deeper and further off everything than I'm used to. Soaks up landings and bigger impacts very very well. May be riding a bit low in its travel so will try a higher spring rate. No complaints with the climbing either, Devinci's have never been the best climbers as the suspension is very active, price you pay to have it feel so good on the way back down. But I don't think it climbs any worse than any other comparable split pivot Devinci I've owned. I was going to put a 38 on the front, but it's back ordered so the 36 was to be temporary, however I may cancel the 38 and just stick with the 36 as it seems to be a good fit for this bike.

I'm finding chain slap to be an issue. I'm running a 28t ring (with a 10-42 cassette). The chain seems to run closer to the chainstay than it did with this same setup on my Spartan. Really only a mm or 2 clearance at times so you can really hear it rattling around. Still trying to figure out a solution for this.

And anyone else find the internal routing for the dropper to be a pain in the ass? The way it exits the front of the seat tube behind the shock at an awkward angle and then bends under the lower shock mount cable guide makes it very difficult to slide up and down in the seat tube for setup. I actually resorted to removing the shock to get the dropper setup.

Check out stfu guides. Completely silent since putting one on. Calms the bike in the rough too

Posted: May 30, 2021 at 10:32 Quote
ibishreddin wrote:
freerider11 wrote:
photo

Check out stfu guides. Completely silent since putting one on. Calms the bike in the rough too

Copy on this, my only issue with the bike was chain slap and the STFU has resolved this issue.

O+
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 11:17 Quote
STFU requires at least 8mm between chain and chainstay, I have less than that with the 28t, 30t would solve it I'm sure but I like the 28. May work still tough. Something to consider.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.021792
Mobile Version of Website