2021 Troy Reviews

PB Forum :: Devinci
2021 Troy Reviews
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
I picked up a '21 Devinci Troy SX build in the blue about a month ago! Happy to be a part of the club. One question, I replaced my front axle with a maxle stealth and was interested in getting something similarly low profile for the rear axle. Has anyone seen anything made for the troy?

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 9:19 Quote
On my Troy I run a bolt on axle from Robert Axle Project: https://robertaxleproject.com/product/lightning-bolt-on-axle-rear-12-mm-x-209-mm-x-1-75-thread/

This is the standard super boost axle used on all other Devinci SB bikes. However because the '21 Troy has a slightly narrower rear end and requires a slightly shorter axle there is currently no bolt-on axle that is the exact correct size. So you also need a 6mm flat washer to put on the axle: https://robertaxleproject.com/product/axle-spacers/. Means it sticks out a little further with the spacer on, but less than the QR, and looks much cleaner.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 9:28 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
On my Troy I run a bolt on axle from Robert Axle Project: https://robertaxleproject.com/product/lightning-bolt-on-axle-rear-12-mm-x-209-mm-x-1-75-thread/

This is the standard super boost axle used on all other Devinci SB bikes. However because the '21 Troy has a slightly narrower rear end and requires a slightly shorter axle there is currently no bolt-on axle that is the exact correct size. So you also need a 6mm flat washer to put on the axle: https://robertaxleproject.com/product/axle-spacers/. Means it sticks out a little further with the spacer on, but less than the QR, and looks much cleaner.

I appreciate that! Thanks

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
bahamabermzz wrote:

Keep in mind this is the case with the carbon frame. When you say you have the blue one, assuming that's the full aluminum frame, so I'm not sure if it takes the same axle.

O+
Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
I got the same setup as Freerider11 has. Works fine. Wish they would provide it with the bike. The quick release is ridiculous.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 10:10 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
I got the same setup as Freerider11 has. Works fine. Wish they would provide it with the bike. The quick release is ridiculous.
The big L Handle on the back just sticks out so far.Also, I actually bent the edges on the original front QR, but other than that I love this bike.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 17:32 Quote
This really applies to any bike i would think, but my L Troy felt too large ie wasnt able to drop heels or weight the front at the same time. One or the other.

This worked for me and might be worth a try if someone is experiencing the same:

cut handlebars down (750mm for me)
And rolled handlebars back

Feels alot more nimble and controllable now. Definately shorter on the front center and much easier to weight the front

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 8:06 Quote
Just curious, but can you fit a 150 mm rear travel shock in the rear of the 2021 troy. I know for the front you can fit a 160 mm fork.

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
bahamabermzz wrote:
Just curious, but can you fit a 150 mm rear travel shock in the rear of the 2021 troy. I know for the front you can fit a 160 mm fork.

You can put any length travel fork in any frame, doesn't mean it's going to be a fun time, but yes, the Troy LTD is offered with a 160mm fork.

For rear travel you're limited by frame clearances. The 2021 Troy has an average leverage ratio of 2.66 (140mm travel/52.5mm shock stroke). So not accounting for progressivity, a 56.3mm stroke shock would theoretically deliver 150mm of travel, though in reality it would be more as the progression ramps up. look back a few pages to see the clearance with a 55mm stroke shock in my size XL, there's tons of clearance, but I'm not sure if that would apply to smaller frame sizes given the size dependent rear triangle.

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 10:43 Quote
maxxx wrote:
bahamabermzz wrote:

You can put any length travel fork in any frame, doesn't mean it's going to be a fun time, but yes, the Troy LTD is offered with a 160mm fork.

For rear travel you're limited by frame clearances. The 2021 Troy has an average leverage ratio of 2.66 (140mm travel/52.5mm shock stroke). So not accounting for progressivity, a 56.3mm stroke shock would theoretically deliver 150mm of travel, though in reality it would be more as the progression ramps up. look back a few pages to see the clearance with a 55mm stroke shock in my size XL, there's tons of clearance, but I'm not sure if that would apply to smaller frame sizes given the size dependent rear triangle.

Okay thank you! That's interesting and will have to look more into it. I was curious and this answer has me more interested in learning more about my bike!

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 6:33 Quote
My X2 shock is squelching but seems like it’s still operating fine. As soon as my Stumpjumper is built I’ll probably have to get it fixed.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 7:24 Quote
My X2 has been back twice now with squelching in 6 months, good times!!

Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
bahamabermzz wrote:

Keep in mind this is the case with the carbon frame. When you say you have the blue one, assuming that's the full aluminum frame, so I'm not sure if it takes the same axle.

I was able to install the suggested axle from Robert Axle without a spacer. Fit's like a charm and looks fantastic.

O+
Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 10:29 Quote
Yamaha168 wrote:
My X2 has been back twice now with squelching in 6 months, good times!!

UGH! Right now mine will make squishing noises after sitting then it calms down. Damping is still good but may not last. :-(

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
Hi Troy Owners,

I picked up a red 2021 Devinci Troy Deore around a month ago. The only real upgrade I have done was switch out the Revelation RC for a 36 Rythym 160mm. I put the flipchip to Hi due to the front travel increase of 10mm.

Coming off of a 2017 Canfield Riot, I miss how playful and poppy the riot is. Overall I prefer the Troy for its stability and speed but I would like to unlock more playful characteristics that I'm sure it has. I realize the riot is a significantly shorter bike especially with regards to the chainstays (414mm vs the Troy's 435mm). Both bikes are medium and have 160mm forks on them (Z1 on the riot). I'm not sure if it is the suspension design or the rear shocks themselves but I find the rebound on the stock superdeluxe to be lacking compared to the CCDB air that's on the Riot and wonder if that would ad to the playfulness. Are there any suggestions in setup or if I should swap the shocks out, or is it chalked up to the design characteristics of the two frames and I should just work on my bunny hops haha. Again, not saying the troy isn't playful but it is a bit of an adjustment coming from the riot.

Thanks,
David

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.024540
Mobile Version of Website