Which Spec Should I Get? Canyon Spectral

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Which Spec Should I Get? Canyon Spectral
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Hello, I’m getting back into mountain biking after 20 years. Things have changed a lot!

After a great deal of research, I’ve decided on the Canyon Spectral 27.5 as it has great reviews and it is a good price for the spec. At the moment, I know the Neuron would be more suitable for me, but once my skills and confidence grow, I would like the option of some enduro.

However, I can’t decide on the Spectral 5 or 6. The 6 is £450 more and comes with the Fox 36, DPX2 rear shock and SLX groupset. The 5 has the Pike Select, Deluxe Select+ RT SRAM NX Eagle groupset.

The main thing that puts me off the 5 is the Guide T brakes as they have had pretty rubbish reviews. I have some new SLX 2 pots on my current bike and they are nice and snappy and I’m worried the Guide T’s (which are 4 pot) might be disappointing.

Looking at the specs of the bikes, is the 6 worth the extra £450? Or shall I save the cash now and make a few upgrades if needed down the line? Is the 10mm extra travel in the Fox gonna be that much better than the Rockshox?

At the moment the majority of my riding will be trails/XC around the Ramsbottom/Rossendale area, but I want the option to try more enduro. Any advice is greatly appreciated as I can’t make my mind up!

Thank you.

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/spectral/spectral-5/2674.html

https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/spectral/spectral-6/2675.html?dwvar_2675_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Completely subjective haha.

Everyone has their own "needs" haha. Some people swear that Fox stuff isn't worth the premium over Rockshox. Some people will tell you the NX drivetrain should never be mounted on a bike.

It sounds like brakes are your biggest concern though, and I don't like SRAM because they use DOT, which is wikid hygroscopic and you actually have to bleed them every few years. That, and DOT fluid is pretty nasty to work with relative to mineral oil.

I had two pot SLXs and they performed great for being two piston, so I can only imagine that the four piston 7120 SLXs would be great as well.

If it were me I'd throw down on the 6, primarily because I'm a Fox fan, don't like DOT fluid, and because the SLX drivetrain is going to last longer than the NX. Plus...throw on an XT shifter and now you get double upshifts. However, a GX derailleur swap on an NX drivetrain is cheap and the GX will last you multiple seasons.

I think most people would agree that if you can afford the "better" build, buy it. The price to upgrade in the future will never be cheaper than getting the "Cost" price of the parts included in a complete build.

Posted: 2 days ago Quote
Thanks for the detailed reply Remonster, it’s greatly appreciated!

In your opinion, would you say the SLX is better than the NX?

The other thing I like about the Fox is the 125 hour service intervals compared to Rockshox 50. I’ve never serviced a shock before but I would like to learn. Are Fox shocks as easy as Rockshox to service and maintain?

tidylou wrote:
Thanks for the detailed reply Remonster, it’s greatly appreciated!

In your opinion, would you say the SLX is better than the NX?

The other thing I like about the Fox is the 125 hour service intervals compared to Rockshox 50. I’ve never serviced a shock before but I would like to learn. Are Fox shocks as easy as Rockshox to service and maintain?

Yes, I think the SLX is better than NX.

I own an GX Eagle Drivetrain and the new Deore 12spd Drivetrain. My GX drivetrain is great. Shifts solid, been bashing for 2+ years now and I'm just about in need of a cassette. My Deore drivetrain is brand new, so I don't have much to say about it other than it works.

However, I do know that Shimano's new Deore 12spd won component of the year this year, mainly because Shimano doesn't really compromise on durability per cost. They compromise on weight per cost. People liked that aspect, and you're going to have the same experience with the SLX stuff.

I don't think the same can be said for SRAM. Their NX stuff does comprise durability for cost from what I've heard. The NX stuff just wears out quickly. It's easy to upgrade to GX and get durability back. Maybe someone else can corroborate this about NX, because I've only heard it from other people.

Yes, Fox stuff is easy to do seal services on. No more difficult than Rockshox. Full damper service is a different story...but I think that's true for Rockshox as well. Fox has a universal rear shock seal kit that works on every* shock they've ever made, so that's a win. Their fork seals are very easy to find.

*They have a few propriety shocks out there that need special kits but those are usually brand affiliated. Trek Re:Aktiv for example.

The Fox 36 with an extra 10 mm of travel and GRIP damper is a big upgrade over the Pike Select. I think you'll get your money's worth over the long run with that upgrade.

I also think SLX is an upgrade over NX.

I have one bike with an SLX drivetrain and another with NX. The SLX is better in that it just kinda disappears. The NX, on the other hand, manages to remind you that you cheaped out with a clunking sensation on every shift. I only have ~30 miles on that NX so no comment on durability as yet. But the SLX has seen about 800 miles of rough and steep riding on an eBike with no adjustment needed. Caveat emptor, it is the previous generation SLX.

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Thank you very much for your input Remonster and bocomtb! I think I will go for the higher spec now I can justify the extra money with your knowledge

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004736
Mobile Version of Website