Trek Remedy 8 Upgrades

PB Forum :: Trek
Trek Remedy 8 Upgrades
  • Previous Page
Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 21:46 Quote
I am looking for some suggestions on upgrades for my 21’ remedy 8. So far I’ve changed the rear wheel for a line elite and I’ve changed the debonair spring in the Lyrik and upped it to 170mm. Looking at getting the one up carbon bars next to keep my arms from burning so much. Is there something I should replace before that? I mainly ride tech trails so was thinking brakes soon too.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 22:00 Quote
Frame:M/L
Fork: Lyrik Select +
Shock: Super deluxe select +
Wheels: line comp front, line elite rear
Drivetrain: SRAM gx
Brakes: guide r
Bontrager dropper post
Bontrager cockpit

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2021 at 7:13 Quote
The 8 is a pretty solid build, the air spring upgrade was a great choice. I replaced the tires for Maxxis ones, the SEs are ok but not great for my area. Brakes are a good option too. I prefer Shimano and got a set of ZEEs.

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 17:45 Quote
brs9399 wrote:
I am looking for some suggestions on upgrades for my 21’ remedy 8. So far I’ve changed the rear wheel for a line elite and I’ve changed the debonair spring in the Lyrik and upped it to 170mm. Looking at getting the one up carbon bars next to keep my arms from burning so much. Is there something I should replace before that? I mainly ride tech trails so was thinking brakes soon too.

You've done some good upgrades already! I think the biggest upgrades you will notice will be suspension and wheels, next likely stopping if you find the stock guides to be not up to snuff. For the bars, I would consider the spank vibrocore as well, but can;t go wrong with oneup from what i've read, both help reduce vibrations. I have a remedy 8 also and got the cascade components link to allow the bike to be more progressive, along with a 170mm lyrik. I see lots of people upgrading to a coil shock and am considering that myself, also. good luck!!

remedy 8 w cascade components linkage

Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 9:55 Quote
I have actually been debating either the fox x2 or dhx2. If I went coil, would the link make a difference? Know that coil is more linear and the link makes it more progressive.

Posted: Mar 11, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
brs9399 wrote:
I have actually been debating either the fox x2 or dhx2. If I went coil, would the link make a difference? Know that coil is more linear and the link makes it more progressive.

The link likely makes a bigger difference with a coil shock than an air, as air are way more tunable out of the box, especially in relation to ramp up. Those who go coil rarely go back, might be worth giving a go!

O+
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
I've upgraded to X01 AXS, AXS Dropper post, Code RSC Brakes, Cane Creek Kitsuma Shock, and Cane Creek Helm MKII Fork.

Those are substantial and pricey upgrades and the only one I wouldn't do is the AXS, however, even that is nice and versatile. I swap it across 3 bikes, all eagle but it's literally a 10 min swap from one bike to another if I'm drunk - and I'd still get it right. The AXS post is nice in that you can get the longest dropper available and it doesn't go any deeper into the downtube than the shortest one so with the Remedy that means you can go to 170mm if you have longer legs.

As for the Shock and Fork, well I like to tinker, but at the same time the remedy responded well and it took almost nothing to make a perfect ride and added immediate speed and stability. Those brakes...

FL
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
I'm also thinking about some upgrades on my 20' Remedy 8. I'm considering going with Ohlins suspension. Anyone go with their fork and shock? I'm also considering switching the drivertrain to Shimano XT. What parts will I need to make this work? Do I just need to change the freehub to Shimano and I'm all set?Thanks for any help!

Found it: Micro Spline freehub.

Posted: Jul 2, 2021 at 21:04 Quote
booMcaT wrote:
brs9399 wrote:

You've done some good upgrades already! I think the biggest upgrades you will notice will be suspension and wheels, next likely stopping if you find the stock guides to be not up to snuff. For the bars, I would consider the spank vibrocore as well, but can;t go wrong with oneup from what i've read, both help reduce vibrations. I have a remedy 8 also and got the cascade components link to allow the bike to be more progressive, along with a 170mm lyrik. I see lots of people upgrading to a coil shock and am considering that myself, also. good luck!!

Hey man! I also pulled the trigger on the link and I'm planning on using it alongside my super deluxe coil. Any chance you are able to take a picture of the link right next to the stock link? The fit with the stock link is extremely tight and the coil nearly hits the frame right near the size sticker. I'm worried that with the link it might not work! If it moves the shock forward my problems would be solved though.

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 23:49 Quote
MTBsnow wrote:
booMcaT wrote:
brs9399 wrote:

Hey man! I also pulled the trigger on the link and I'm planning on using it alongside my super deluxe coil. Any chance you are able to take a picture of the link right next to the stock link? The fit with the stock link is extremely tight and the coil nearly hits the frame right near the size sticker. I'm worried that with the link it might not work! If it moves the shock forward my problems would be solved though.

I’m also interested to see this, running the coil has been great and no contact with the frame but a bit more clearance would be great.

Posted: Jul 8, 2021 at 17:56 Quote
TPugh450 wrote:
MTBsnow wrote:
booMcaT wrote:

I’m also interested to see this, running the coil has been great and no contact with the frame but a bit more clearance would be great.

Ill answer my own, and your question, haha. I got the link in and installed it yesterday! It a bit larger than the stock link and I would say it gives a few more mm of clearance. With the stock link I was a little worried but now its close but definitely fine. Here are some pics!

19 Remedy 8
19 Remedy 8

photo

photo

Posted: Jul 10, 2021 at 9:44 Quote
How does the coil feel vs air on remedy? What are the trade offs?

Posted: Jul 14, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
Gregstinson wrote:
How does the coil feel vs air on remedy? What are the trade offs?

I really like the coil so far. Its super planted and I feel so much more confident on high speed chunder and descents. It smooths out the trail much better than the stock shock. Sections where I used to struggle for grip and get thrown around I can just plow through now. Its glued to the ground!

The drawbacks of the coil are that it definitely adds a bit of weight and isn't quite as lively as a air shock. It's also not as tunable but once you get it how you like it your set.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 1:32 Quote
Hello! I have the same bike and it was upgraded too.

photo

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.026353
Mobile Version of Website