Is it too soon to buy an ebike?

PB Forum :: eMTB
Is it too soon to buy an ebike?
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 7, 2021 at 18:05 Quote
I was getting burnt out riding until I rode a Levo. So damn fun uphill and downhill. As long as it has modern geo, reliable motor, and a good warranty, go for it.

Posted: Aug 17, 2021 at 15:47 Quote
I waited 3 years before I pulled the trigger on my 2019 Giant Trance SX E1 Pro...and I am glad I waited...prior versions weren't esthetically pleasing . Your only obstacle now adays is inventory. The bikes now with the larger batteries and great components...the motors all have their own quirks but overall are reliable from what I have gathered on the various forums. Test ride what you can ..you're not getting any younger...better to enjoy yourself.

Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 18:33 Quote
Late reply here, but IMHO - E-bikes are the best they've ever been. This year the wife and I bought old inventory, 2020 Range VLT's. They're not the latest and greatest compared to what is out there now, and they've far surpassed our expectations.

She has an E7000 and I have an E8000 motor, on 504 WH batteries - and the only thing i'm looking to upgrade is normal bike things: Forks, Derailleurs, etc. Even her lowly E7000 produces more power than necessary, and we've never run out of battery in one single ride. Very happy with them thus far!

Posted: Oct 9, 2021 at 8:30 Quote
Im on my 4th e bike and the (6th) ebike in the family.

Momma is still on her 2019 Giant LIV with 1000 miles on it and its like new still that motor and frame are perfectly reliable for her. It’s changed her world to the point of wanting a hard tail race bike and has entered a few local races and took a championship in her 40+ class. Its been amazing and dont see any improvements worth buying a new on for her. She’l lite and the 540w battery scoots her along on our 40 mile rides no problem.

I’ve had (2) shimano 8000 YT Decoys and neither were leaps and bound better than the other. One was a 2019 the other a later 2021. Sold them both for a small profit. I wanted the newest 2022 EP8 shimano motor. I dont think it was an incremental change worth waiting for in hind sight. But, I think the change from a 55lb YT Decoy to a 48lb Canyon with a larger battery will make the time without a bike worth it. The Canyon is the opposit side of the spectrum from the YT. Light short nimble less travel. 150mm vs 170mm. I hope it will be more playful and a better single track play bike. The YT was a couch on the trail and plowed over every obstical.

Posted: Oct 9, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
Continued from above post….

Ive had a bosch CX 4th gen motor in my Gravel Niner ebike commuter and am super happy with it. Buddy has the same ine in his wifes and his bike. I would have been bummed with the 1st 2nd or 3rd gen bosch. But the 4th and the most recent 4.5 gen might just be the best motor on the market right now. And Im a die hard shimano guy. The bosch and yamaha have proven to be underdog winners since 2020.

I would have been very sad if I had bought a 2019 specialized Brose motor. I have buddies who popped them and thats just not fun 3 years down the road thinking about the warrantee expiring.

I think the 2021 EP8 & 2018 e8000 and 2020 Bosch and 2019 Yamaha motors are legit and in no need of upgrading over the next 5 years. They were mature and reliable platforms from those years mentioned. They’re mature reliable built motors for a couple years now. The specialized in the other hand still have to be proven after the metal sprag gear update and wider belts in late 2021 and 2022.

Get in the wait list for an eMTB, your good for 2022 and dont see upgrades worth worrying about for a solid 3-4 years. The next injection will be the change from 18650 batteries to the 21xxx battery size and density. More juice in a slightly bigger form factor over the next 3 years but might be able to retrofit them into existing frames? Motors will be the same for a while as bosch yamaha shimano and specialized are on the latest generations since 2020 and the ep8.

Posted: Jan 27, 2022 at 9:54 Quote
I'm 51 and purchased my first eMTB in November. Best move I've could have made. Fells like being a kid again. I've ridding more in the past few months than all of last year. Not sure if I'll ever go back ... Big Grin
photo

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.020303
Mobile Version of Website