Devinci Marhall 2021

PB Forum :: Devinci
Devinci Marhall 2021
Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 7:58 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
Got mine, but haven’t changed anything from stock yet. I have a Lyrik waiting for it. Gonna try putting on a 210x52.5 shock too. There’s clearance for another 12mm at least.

Rode it yesterday. It is a heavy pig and the fork sucks. I plan to change almost everything on this bike.

I measured the rear wheel travel to be 128mm, but certainly I could have been a touch off a couple mm in either direction. I used a quality level and measured from the floor to the tire with the bike upside down fully extended and fully compressed. There is a good 12mm or more of clearance, so I plan to try a longer stroke shock (210x52.5) and get closer to 135mm travel. I know Devinci might not approve, but I don't care.

I was a bit annoyed that my XL came with a 125mm dropper. I told the guy at my LBS that it's advertised as a 200mm, what's a guy my height gonna do with a 125mm. He proceeded to tell me "well there's a parts supply shortage and this is what you get". He could tell that wasn't a fair explanation so before I even asked he went in the back and found a 170mm. I accepted that, but could have fit the 200mm so I'm not that impressed. I don't know if that's my LBS pulling a fast one if they lost my post or something, or if Devinci didn't deliver what they said they would.

BTW, I did pay $2599 CAD for mine, but I see the new price is $2799. Too bad cause I think that $200 does make a difference to a lot of people. It's a lot of bike for the money either way though. I can't say there isn't value here. Just plan on getting a proper fork off the pink bike buy and sell eventually.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
Got mine, but haven’t changed anything from stock yet. I have a Lyrik waiting for it. Gonna try putting on a 210x52.5 shock too. There’s clearance for another 12mm at least.

Ryan, it’s Joe Brown.

What stroke shock comes with it?

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 22:06 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:
ryanbouma wrote:

Ryan, it’s Joe Brown.

Hey man. It’s a 210x50. The leverage ratio is about 2.5. Could almost get a 210x55 in there but that might be pushing it.

Posted: Mar 16, 2021 at 22:34 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:

Would appreciate any feedback on how progressive the rear is and what the pedaling platform feels like. Any thoughts onnframe stiffness? Brake feel on the Shimano 4100 4pots?

I realize my sizes are 27.5", which is a positive for me. Looking forward to seeing what people have to say. Just orderes a new Cascade link for my Process 153 27.5. So the Process will end up 160/160. Would pick the Marshall up as a more affordable trail bike and see how it performs with at 130/150.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
jbrown-15 wrote:
ryanbouma wrote:

Ryan, it’s Joe Brown.

Hey man. It’s a 210x50. The leverage ratio is about 2.5. Could almost get a 210x55 in there but that might be pushing it.

Air or coil?

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
Texicans wrote:
ryanbouma wrote:

Would appreciate any feedback on how progressive the rear is and what the pedaling platform feels like. Any thoughts onnframe stiffness? Brake feel on the Shimano 4100 4pots?

I realize my sizes are 27.5", which is a positive for me. Looking forward to seeing what people have to say. Just orderes a new Cascade link for my Process 153 27.5. So the Process will end up 160/160. Would pick the Marshall up as a more affordable trail bike and see how it performs with at 130/150.

Sure here's a mini review. Keep in mind only one ride, but I feel pretty confident on 2 wheels having owned/ridden many bikes. I'll update as I get more miles on it.

It's heavy. I haven't weighed my XL yet, but I will and I'll post it here. I plan to make a lot of changes and lighted it up, but most people who buy this bike will likely leave it alone and have to live with the weight. I think the biggest culprit is the frame and to a lesser extent the fork. But let's be honest, deore isn't light, cheap droppers aren't light, the cockpit isn't light. None of it is light really. I expect to drop about 400g changing the fork and another 400 changing to XT 11sp. Probably lose more changing the cockpit as well.

The pedal platform is fine while seated, but a bit gooshy while standing pedaling hard. It's pretty comparable to my 2018 commencal meta am that I no longer have. Compared to something like an ibis ripley (known for stable pedalling) this thing is goo. My other bike at the moment is a single speed hardtale, so that certainly affects my perception of pedaling. I almost bought a ripley AF, but that stable pedaling comes with a penalty and that is a plush, grippy, buttery smooth rear suspension. And that's what this has. It very smooth and did a nice job in rock gardens and roots. I didn't get to too many drops/jumps, but the few I did did not bottom the suspension. I'm about 185-190 (packing a few extra because of winter/covid) and I put 185psi in the rear to get 30% sag. 1 click from full open on rebound. Surprisingly slow rebound, but with break in that might speed up. I may add a second click anyways. In any case, I did not bottom the suspension but came very close. I liked the progressivity and found it bang on. I am quite happy because if there's anything I needed this bike to do well it was the rear suspension. It's quite good.

The fork sucks. I didn't pay much attention to it. I have a lyrik waiting for it. I could spend more time getting it feeling good but won't bother. If someone has to keep the fork it'll work. But keep and eye on the buy/sell for a pike, yari, rhythm, or anything better and still cheap.

The brakes were also not great. They are the two finger lever style and I'm not a fan. I planned on changing these anyways and I'll put them on my commuter ebike. They're fine though. I would definitely splurge on a $30 rotor and put a 200mm rotor on the front. That's necessary IMO unless you're very light or dead broke after buying this.

The deore drive train is super nice. Shifts a touch slower than the higher grade transmissions I'm use to, and I don't need 51T, so I'll drop some weight and pick up some refinement by putting on a spare XT 11sp. I like the double down shift too much to not.

Wheels and tires are great. Not much bad to say about minions and I prefer the EXO casing on Maxxis tires to their other casing options. I did pop the hub a few times. At my weight and single speed nature of picking a high gear and stomping on it, I wouldn't give this hub a fighting chance so I'll change the wheels. I prefer the quite DT350.

Why did I buy this bike if I planned on changing everything? Because it's made in Canada and they don't sell frame only. I'm tired of sending my hard earned money over seas. I'd rather another Canadian or American have it.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 8:05 Quote
jbrown-15 wrote:

Air or coil?

Air for sure. I have something cheap lined up for testing. I don't want to buy something nice and learn the frame clearance isn't there. There's a ton of clearance everywhere as far as I can tell though. If it works out I might try something a little nicer.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
@ryanbouma

That's great feedback and really appreciated. All the compromises on weight to hit a price point make sense. Do you find the Marshall to feel poppy? Sounds like it has good bottom out resistance like other Devinci's. If the leverage curve is more linear, perhaps some volume spacers can make the rear feel more lively. I'm about 25lbs overweight since last year. I want a better pedaling bike to help drop some body weight. I don't think I'm near being focused on shedding sprung bike weight any time soon. Looking forward to your upgrade updates. Cheers.

Posted: Mar 17, 2021 at 13:41 Quote
Texicans wrote:
@ryanbouma

That's great feedback and really appreciated. All the compromises on weight to hit a price point make sense. Do you find the Marshall to feel poppy? Sounds like it has good bottom out resistance like other Devinci's. If the leverage curve is more linear, perhaps some volume spacers can make the rear feel more lively. I'm about 25lbs overweight since last year. I want a better pedaling bike to help drop some body weight. I don't think I'm near being focused on shedding sprung bike weight any time soon. Looking forward to your upgrade updates. Cheers.

Yes it's very poppy which I didn't expect an hour into the ride. I got comfortable with it and learn that it could really soak stuff up. Gooey suspension and heavy weight usually means the bike will stay planted and be hard to get in the air. On our final trail home I started to play with it a bit. I popped off this little root berm and it sent me flying. My kid was behind me and actually used the word poppy or popped or something like that. I continued to play around and it really wanted to push off berms and blast out of corners.

Again, only one ride but I'm super impressed with the core bike. And I really shouldn't be so hard on the rest of the parts considering the price.

Posted: Mar 22, 2021 at 7:57 Quote
A few more comments as I've logged more kms and the suspension has broken in. I'm still on the stock fork and shock, but changed wheels, drivetrain, and brakes.

Shock pressure is 190psi now and 3 clicks of rebound. Pushing 190lbs myself, it seems the rule of rider weight in psi is a very solid starting point. I added rebound as I found it was far to springy as it broke in and I got use to the bike. It took away a little bit from the "pop", but is way more in control. Someone who weighs less will probably want even more, like 4 or 5 clicks. I wish I could add a click of compression, as it's very slightly overly active, but not really a problem.

The fork now has 4 clicks of rebound. It might need more. It also could use a click of compression. Lighter riders will like the compression tune of both the front and rear.

In totally stock configuration my XL weighs 36.4lbs with shimano spds and a bit of dirt. Pretty chunky machine, but keep in mind we're use to reading bike weights of these $7k+ super bikes in reviews all the time. Budget bike weights are rarely talked about. It's still a little on the heavy side. I'm hoping a lot of that weight is in the fork. Most people buying this bike won't be changing much so be prepared for 35lbs+ of aluminum on the way up.

Sorry if this is TMI, but hoping someone thinking about this bike finds it useful. Especially if they're not sure about suspension setup. And let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to know about it.

Posted: Mar 22, 2021 at 8:23 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
A few more comments as I've logged more kms and the suspension has broken in. I'm still on the stock fork and shock, but changed wheels, drivetrain, and brakes.

Shock pressure is 190psi now and 3 clicks of rebound. Pushing 190lbs myself, it seems the rule of rider weight in psi is a very solid starting point. I added rebound as I found it was far to springy as it broke in and I got use to the bike. It took away a little bit from the "pop", but is way more in control. Someone who weighs less will probably want even more, like 4 or 5 clicks. I wish I could add a click of compression, as it's very slightly overly active, but not really a problem.

The fork now has 4 clicks of rebound. It might need more. It also could use a click of compression. Lighter riders will like the compression tune of both the front and rear.

In totally stock configuration my XL weighs 36.4lbs with shimano spds and a bit of dirt. Pretty chunky machine, but keep in mind we're use to reading bike weights of these $7k+ super bikes in reviews all the time. Budget bike weights are rarely talked about. It's still a little on the heavy side. I'm hoping a lot of that weight is in the fork. Most people buying this bike won't be changing much so be prepared for 35lbs+ of aluminum on the way up.

Sorry if this is TMI, but hoping someone thinking about this bike finds it useful. Especially if they're not sure about suspension setup. And let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to know about it.

I'm running 205 psi on my Troy and I am 200 lbs. I may go down to 200 psi as I still haven't bottomed it out. It's almost too progressive. I even removed the one volume spacer it had.

Posted: Apr 7, 2021 at 10:23 Quote
I've been riding my XL a lot and just loving it. I've put a 160mm lyrik on it (that probably voids my warranty) and I have a 210x52.5mm shock ready to install. That should give me about 135mm in the rear and will surely void my warranty. The fork is a HUGE upgrade over the rockshox 35. And the longer fork slackens out the front of the bike perfectly.

I now have my XL down to 34lbs 2oz with spds, a mini pump, and dirt. It feels pretty darn light when pedaling despite being a bit chunky. Trying to shave anymore weight will be expensive and not worth it. If I break a wheel I'll build some nicer lighter wheels.

This thing rides very fast and has a very bottomless feel to it. Very happy with it now. The shock pressure is still at 190psi with between 3 and 4 clicks of rebound. I'm 190lbs fully kitted and ride pretty aggressively. I do bottom out on larger jumps/drops, but not too frequently. If you're my weight, but keep the wheels on the ground I'd pop open the shock and remove a volume reducer (assuming there's one in there), but still run 190psi. I haven't checked how many volume reducers are in the shock because it's been good where it's at.

Fast and fun. Can't believe it. I wasn't expecting much from a budget bike, but this is really the complete package.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
I've been riding my XL a lot and just loving it. I've put a 160mm lyrik on it (that probably voids my warranty) and I have a 210x52.5mm shock ready to install. That should give me about 135mm in the rear and will surely void my warranty. The fork is a HUGE upgrade over the rockshox 35. And the longer fork slackens out the front of the bike perfectly.

I now have my XL down to 34lbs 2oz with spds, a mini pump, and dirt. It feels pretty darn light when pedaling despite being a bit chunky. Trying to shave anymore weight will be expensive and not worth it. If I break a wheel I'll build some nicer lighter wheels.

This thing rides very fast and has a very bottomless feel to it. Very happy with it now. The shock pressure is still at 190psi with between 3 and 4 clicks of rebound. I'm 190lbs fully kitted and ride pretty aggressively. I do bottom out on larger jumps/drops, but not too frequently. If you're my weight, but keep the wheels on the ground I'd pop open the shock and remove a volume reducer (assuming there's one in there), but still run 190psi. I haven't checked how many volume reducers are in the shock because it's been good where it's at.

Fast and fun. Can't believe it. I wasn't expecting much from a budget bike, but this is really the complete package.

Have you try the 210x52.5mm shock?

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 15:46 Quote
Amtoin wrote:

Not yet. Been too busy to do that. Hopefully I'll find some time to fit it this weekend, but we'll see.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 21:10 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
Amtoin wrote:

Not yet. Been too busy to do that. Hopefully I'll find some time to fit it this weekend, but we'll see.

I'm curious for your thoughts on this bike related to other bikes you own or have owned?

I have this and a Scott genius 960 on hold and am debating if it's worth it to wait for the genius.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007545
Mobile Version of Website