Devinci Marhall 2021

PB Forum :: Devinci
Devinci Marhall 2021
| Next Page
Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 15:06 Quote
Jordywells wrote:

I'm curious for your thoughts on this bike related to other bikes you own or have owned?

I have this and a Scott genius 960 on hold and am debating if it's worth it to wait for the genius.

Probably depends what you ride and how hard. These are fairly different bikes as the Scott has 20mm more rear travel and claimed lighter. I like the steep seat tube on the Marshall. I personally appreciate a steep seat tube more than a slack head angle. And it feels very robust. What kind of riding do you plan to do with it?

I've own only a handful of bikes ranging from single speed hardtails to 170mm enduros. But not enough to make direct comparisons as things have been changing. I have demoed enough bikes to make direct comparisons of 2021 bikes. For instance I could tell you very specific differences between the Marshall and the Ripley AF and the Marin Rift Zone. All in the same category and similar prices. But I haven't ridden the Scott Genius. Sorry.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 19:04 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
Jordywells wrote:

I'm curious for your thoughts on this bike related to other bikes you own or have owned?

I have this and a Scott genius 960 on hold and am debating if it's worth it to wait for the genius.

Probably depends what you ride and how hard. These are fairly different bikes as the Scott has 20mm more rear travel and claimed lighter. I like the steep seat tube on the Marshall. I personally appreciate a steep seat tube more than a slack head angle. And it feels very robust. What kind of riding do you plan to do with it?

I've own only a handful of bikes ranging from single speed hardtails to 170mm enduros. But not enough to make direct comparisons as things have been changing. I have demoed enough bikes to make direct comparisons of 2021 bikes. For instance I could tell you very specific differences between the Marshall and the Ripley AF and the Marin Rift Zone. All in the same category and similar prices. But I haven't ridden the Scott Genius. Sorry.

Can you make explicit your comparisons between the Marshall and your demo rides on the Ripley AF and Rift Zone? That would be pretty cool to get your feedback.

Posted: Apr 24, 2021 at 6:45 Quote
Ya sure. I’ve posted my thoughts on the Marshall. For my purposes it’s the best. It’s the most capable down hill and I wanted something on the tougher end of “trail bike”.

The Ibis Ripley is the most different. It’s very very good. If I could only own one bike this would probably be it. Very efficient suspension. Very direct pedal input and a nice steep seat angle. I wouldn’t hesitate to race fun local XC races on it. On the way down the geometry works really good and there’s nothing wrong with it. But it does have slightly less travel than the Marshall and you can tell. Also, the DW link rear suspension has the sorta stiff feeling where the first 40 or 50mm of travel don’t want to be active. It’s the opposite of buttery coil smoothness. Once further into its travel it’s smooth. I’m guessing there’s a lot of anti squat or something that makes it climb well. It was best when the suspension was loaded down, but if a little jump or hole in the trail topped out the suspension there was stiffness as the travel passed from top out to mid stroke. Very good bike though. I rode an XL and it fit great at 6’2”.

The Rift Zone is a bruiser much like the Marshall. I wanted it to have a longer fork than what came stock. Again, the Marshall has slightly more travel front and back. And my demo didn’t have quite enough air in the Marzoochi Z2. So that probably was a factor. It felt heavy and sluggish. Even more so than the piggy Marshall. They’re both heavy bikes really, but the Marshall carries the weight better and provides more travel and stiffness with that weight. Apparently the stock tires on the Rift Zone are very heavy. I don’t doubt this. The geometry might be the best of the three bikes for going down. I rode a large at 6’2” and would have bought an XL if I went this way. But I like bigger bikes. The suspension did what it was suppose to do. I did find it a little less capable than the Marshall. Even the Z2 vs the 35 fork. The 35 is way stiffer and I felt like I could abuse it without a hint of complaint. The Z2 is a better feeling damper though. In the end, why pay more for something that climbs the same and can’t descend quite as good as the Marshall.

The Marshall was the cheapest and best downhill. The Ripley screams uphill though. It was less money too. So I figured buy the Marshall and upgrade it how I like. That was mostly a matter of changing the fork to a lyrik for me. I consider quite a few other bikes without riding them.

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
Jordywells wrote:

My ultimate goal is for a do-everything bike. This is would be my first full-suspension bike, I currently have a cross-country-focused bike that I would ultimately sell. I'm looking for something that I can easily take to trails, but also easy to take to somewhere like kicking horse or other downhill oriented places. In my normal day-to-day riding its going to mostly be trails in the river valley where I live.

When I read your initial review of the Fork on this bike it made me a bit worried that the Scott would just be better spec'd overall. Especially if the first thing to upgrade is the Fork I could really just buy a much higher-end Bike at that point. My issue like with everyone is there are no Bikes and I am tall (6,3). It seems most Bike shops don't seem to be ordering XL sized bikes.

Posted: Apr 30, 2021 at 13:02 Quote
Jordywells wrote:

When I read your initial review of the Fork on this bike it made me a bit worried...

If you listen to the PB podcast, they confirmed my thoughts on the fork. Here's the thing, I'm pretty picky and knew I wouldn't like the fork. It's something I would put my money into, but not necessary for everyone. I picked up a Lyrik for $600 on the PB market place. It dropped a pound and gained 20mm of travel and way better dampening. If this is your first full suspension bike I wouldn't spend a whole lot. PB really liked the suspension on the Marshall and called it a mini enduro. I fully agree. They claimed it climbs better than I would say, but they know better than me. If you can get the Marshall, don't over think it. You'll have some money left over to change things if you need to in the future.

Ryan

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 20:22 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
Jordywells wrote:

When I read your initial review of the Fork on this bike it made me a bit worried...

If you listen to the PB podcast, they confirmed my thoughts on the fork. Here's the thing, I'm pretty picky and knew I wouldn't like the fork. It's something I would put my money into, but not necessary for everyone. I picked up a Lyrik for $600 on the PB market place. It dropped a pound and gained 20mm of travel and way better dampening. If this is your first full suspension bike I wouldn't spend a whole lot. PB really liked the suspension on the Marshall and called it a mini enduro. I fully agree. They claimed it climbs better than I would say, but they know better than me. If you can get the Marshall, don't over think it. You'll have some money left over to change things if you need to in the future.

Ryan

Hey Ryan, I ended up buying the devinci and took it out for a ride in my neighbourhood little bike park area, you were right super fun, but a little gooey. The front shock is an anchor, and I'm still dialing in the rear. The bike shop setup up the initial pressures, and it's far to low a couple bunny hops off curbs and I've almost bottomed it out.
Have you put in the 210x52.5mm shock? I'm curious of your experience with that, because I may follow suit.

Posted: May 20, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
Jordywells wrote:

Hey Ryan, I ended up buying the devinci and took it out for a ride in my neighbourhood little bike park area, you were right super fun, but a little gooey. The front shock is an anchor, and I'm still dialing in the rear. The bike shop setup up the initial pressures, and it's far to low a couple bunny hops off curbs and I've almost bottomed it out.
Have you put in the 210x52.5mm shock? I'm curious of your experience with that, because I may follow suit.

Congratulations on the new bike. Hope you have a good time with it. How much do you weigh?

I haven't put on the new shock yet. Just been way to busy with an addition on our house and my son just bought a frame I'm building up for him. Hopefully soon...

Posted: May 23, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
ryanbouma wrote:
Jordywells wrote:

Congratulations on the new bike. Hope you have a good time with it. How much do you weigh?

I haven't put on the new shock yet. Just been way to busy with an addition on our house and my son just bought a frame I'm building up for him. Hopefully soon...

I love it so far, it took a bit to get used to the weight of it compared to my old XC.
I weight just over 200 lbs. I've found I had to put the rear shock to about 215 psi for me to stop bottoming it out on little things, it feels better now.
The fork I'm still attempting to mess around with but it seems like it just always feels the same.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006841
Mobile Version of Website