Brand new bottom bracket problems

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Brand new bottom bracket problems
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
So I recently changed out my bottom bracket after it had become noticeably worn.. After my first ride on the new BB, I noticed the same pepper mill sound and am not sure what I can do to alleviate the problem. Do I need to lube the outside of the BB sleeve? I lubed the crank axle and BB threads and made sure to torque everything to spec. Only other thing I can think is that dirt is making its way up through the plastic cover for cable access on the underside of the down tube.. but the gap there isn't that big and after one ride in relatively dry conditions with a few muddy spots...? Not convinced that's the culprit but I'm going to get some double sided tape to re-seal it.
Anyways, I did some searching and didn't see anything addressing this exact issue in recent conversation so any help would be appreciated. Pretty new to wrenchin bikes so feel free to point out anything seemingly obvious I might have missed. Thanks

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
inoahguy wrote:
So I recently changed out my bottom bracket after it had become noticeably worn.. After my first ride on the new BB, I noticed the same pepper mill sound and am not sure what I can do to alleviate the problem. Do I need to lube the outside of the BB sleeve? I lubed the crank axle and BB threads and made sure to torque everything to spec. Only other thing I can think is that dirt is making its way up through the plastic cover for cable access on the underside of the down tube.. but the gap there isn't that big and after one ride in relatively dry conditions with a few muddy spots...? Not convinced that's the culprit but I'm going to get some double sided tape to re-seal it.
Anyways, I did some searching and didn't see anything addressing this exact issue in recent conversation so any help would be appreciated. Pretty new to wrenchin bikes so feel free to point out anything seemingly obvious I might have missed. Thanks

Is it constant sound or only on a power portion of your stroke? Is there a chance that you didn't hear the noise before? A worn chainring can start to pick up the chain on the bottom and make a grinding sound.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 9:39 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
inoahguy wrote:

Is it constant sound or only on a power portion of your stroke? Is there a chance that you didn't hear the noise before? A worn chainring can start to pick up the chain on the bottom and make a grinding sound.

I replaced the chainring and chain about 100 miles before getting the new BB and I installed a brand new oval chainring when I installed the new BB.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
Definitely not that then.

Could have potentially got a bad BB perhaps? Seems unlikely though.

Chasing noise on a bike is infuriating. I have a weird crackling under load coming from my rear drivetrain. Can't figure out. Re-packed the hub so I am hoping that does it.

Posted: Feb 26, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
ShawMac wrote:
Definitely not that then.

Could have potentially got a bad BB perhaps? Seems unlikely though.

Chasing noise on a bike is infuriating. I have a weird crackling under load coming from my rear drivetrain. Can't figure out. Re-packed the hub so I am hoping that does it.

I don't know and yes, it is VERY annoying especially on those difficult climbs. It's as though the bike is mocking me!
Anyways, I'm gonna take it out, clean everything (again), lube the f*ck out of everything (again), and try to re tape the access panel. I may be underestimating the amount of dirt that is getting in through the little gap that's opened up in the year I've had the bike.
I'll report back just in case anyone else is having this same issue and can't pinpoint the problem. The access panel being slightly ajar didn't even occur to me as a potential issue until I started typing up this post.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005665
Mobile Version of Website