close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Best aluminum rims for enduro racing?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Best aluminum rims for enduro racing?
| Next Page
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 3:25 Quote
mtb-wyatt wrote:
I’m looking to build a new set of wheels for my YT Capra 27.5. I’ve narrowed my rim choice down to Stan’s Flow EX3’s and DT Swiss EX511’s. Weight and price are not huge factors for me, just looking for wheels that I can 100% trust. Does anyone have experience with one or both of these rims and could help me decide? Or even suggest something else? Thanks much in advance!
xm481s same design as ex511 but just lighter due to less material but still very strong. I like to think of them as ex511 but for lighter people

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
MTB-Ohana wrote:
Stan's Flow EX3.

mine are squares after 3 rides with DH casing at 28psi. not impressed.

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 13:39 Quote
Stan's are about as strong as melted cheese. EX511s on my previous bike have been bombproof. Several trips to whistler, bad line choices and big cases and they are still dead straight. Wouldn't ride any other alu rim.

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 17:54 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
I think the RaceFace ARC HD can take some big hits, I've read about it being super durable.

This. I have them laced to Hope hubs and they’re indestructible. Also heavy AF. They track super well in rock gardens but you won’t forget about them on the way up.

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 18:12 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
Stan's are about as strong as melted cheese. EX511s on my previous bike have been bombproof. Several trips to whistler, bad line choices and big cases and they are still dead straight. Wouldn't ride any other alu rim.

My stans flow mk3’s have been very reliable. 2.5 years old and still straight.

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 18:37 Quote
s3ntin3l wrote:
jmartinbiking wrote:

My stans flow mk3’s have been very reliable. 2.5 years old and still straight.

Keep check on the spoke holes. I found one cracked on mine during a detailed cleaning one day. I got lucky was right at my warranty limit. Still cost me a $100 to get relaced.

Posted: Oct 16, 2021 at 8:50 Quote
I now have a full season of hard riding on my DT Swiss ex511’s. I’ve been at this a long time and never had rims hold up as well as these. I ended putting ex471’s on my dirt jumper

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006609
Mobile Version of Website