FOX DPX2 normal or need service?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
FOX DPX2 normal or need service?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 22:34 Quote
OK so I switched out my Rockshox Deluxe RT3 w/a new FOX factory DPX2 (Stumpjumper carbon expert). Fox feels great. Took a couple short rides and seems like I got the change in feel I was looking for. And I even now have the Cascade link installed.

I used a PDF of the manual and there were instructions for balancing pos/neg air chambers, low pressure at first, cycle the shock, etc., and it said you'll hear a little sound from the air chamber when cycling during first install--that's supposed to be normal.

Everything SEEMS ok. Now I just started hearing maybe a little bit more sound coming from inside the shock. That kind of 'squishy' sound from either the seals breaking in or a fluid leak in one of the chambers.. heck I don't know how much of this is normal. I sometimes hear this from other shocks but it's typically very quiet. My FOX sounds a tad bit louder.
*I did have to add a little bit MORE air to get back up to my 25% sag I like as well.
*All 3 settings, open, pedal, firm, seem to work accordingly.
*Rebound and compression setting seem to be responsive as well.

Is this normal when they're new (as I've been told don't know if that's true) or does this seem like it needs a service?

~JSV

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 4:46 Quote
Every DPX2 I've ever used has been 'noisy. Doesn't affect performance though.

ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
OK so I switched out my Rockshox Deluxe RT3 w/a new FOX factory DPX2 (Stumpjumper carbon expert). Fox feels great. Took a couple short rides and seems like I got the change in feel I was looking for. And I even now have the Cascade link installed.

I used a PDF of the manual and there were instructions for balancing pos/neg air chambers, low pressure at first, cycle the shock, etc., and it said you'll hear a little sound from the air chamber when cycling during first install--that's supposed to be normal.

Everything SEEMS ok. Now I just started hearing maybe a little bit more sound coming from inside the shock. That kind of 'squishy' sound from either the seals breaking in or a fluid leak in one of the chambers.. heck I don't know how much of this is normal. I sometimes hear this from other shocks but it's typically very quiet. My FOX sounds a tad bit louder.
*I did have to add a little bit MORE air to get back up to my 25% sag I like as well.
*All 3 settings, open, pedal, firm, seem to work accordingly.
*Rebound and compression setting seem to be responsive as well.

Is this normal when they're new (as I've been told don't know if that's true) or does this seem like it needs a service?

~JSV

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 7:01 Quote
That may be. I have been told that but don't know if this is worse than it should be. Well I removed the air pressure and slowly added a little at a time again. Removing the pump, compressed and cycled slowly several times--ten or more--each time I added pressure.

The sound IS a bit less. I'm still adding a higher pressure than I was to reach my desired sag. IT FEELS ok, but I'll be taking a short ride w/a couple friends today and we'll see how it performs. Rolleyes

~JSV

O+
Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
The noise is in the damper, not the 'air side'. And.. the DPX2 seems to like more psi than others. Ride it!

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 18:32 Quote
Thank you sincerely for info. I also called a mechanic friend of mine to ask a few technical questions too. I THINK I understand now why it changed behavior and concerned me.

I removed all the air pressure and started cycling air from scratch, like when I installed it. Apparently it seems that I may not have fully got the air in pos/neg chambers completely when I first pressurized it. THAT may be why it was originally requiring less than expected psi to reach desired sag (for me is just around 25%).

After a much more thorough set up initiating the shock, air pressure, and a short 9 mile test ride today, the "noise" has quieted down to where it was and would expect, and the added psi to reach sag seems more normal and it's performing (so far) well enough that I'll trust it.

Maybe the cold here too effected the viscosity, but I'm certain I wasn't thorough enough cycling the pressure on the new shock. Hey it never hurts I guess to ask when these things happen "just in case", and if I had to I'd send it to get serviced and ride on my other shock for now. Even though I only rode less than 10 miles it felt perfect the whole trip so seems ok.

I always get great advice here though and I appreciate that.

~JSV

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.008864
Mobile Version of Website