Is the latest Enduro bikes still the do-it-all type?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Is the latest Enduro bikes still the do-it-all type?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 27, 2021 at 23:34 Quote
Been looking at several new Enduro bikes but back about 18-24 months ago most of all the Enduro bikes available were basically the best for some poppy trail use but could still smash down steep fast trails, while they could still easily get you up the hill - Now alot of them are huge - massive reach increases and bikes getting longer overal, which seems to all be aimed at Racing.
I Want to use Large frames as an example here: they've gone from about 460-475 reach to most now being 490, some even longer.

Is it the fact of, longer reach(bigger frame) for Racing, If you basically want to enjoy it and have the odd bit of racing Go with a more natural fit of say a Medium frame that has the "old large" geo numbers?

Whats everyones view on this?

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 5:51 Quote
Modern “Trail” bikes are what you’re looking for, 140-160 (even 130)travel, shorter wheelbase than the Enduro bikes, more versatile being lighter, and still capable on downhills cause it has slack ht.

The day I ll sell my Sentinel I ll buy a trail bike, I ride for fun and don’t race at all

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 10:24 Quote
Seems like good number of people are downsizing on enduro race bikes. But they are all becoming 160+mm travel monster trucks. E.g. the new Slash (i see trek in your use name). All the enduro bikes of yesterday are the trail bikes of today.

I demo'd a Specialized Stumpy EVO and Enduro back to back and the Enduro felt like a big bruiser that could win races. But it wasn't really fun to me, even on steep trails. The EVO was a great do-it-all trail bike. I agree with @Pyres, you're looking for a trail bike.

If Trek really is getting rid of the current Remedy (which they shouldn't), it would be awesome if they turned it back into a 29er with similar geo to the EVO, or even a mullet.

Edit: look at section 5: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/enduro-race-bike-mtb-review/

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
Been looking at several new Enduro bikes but back about 18-24 months ago most of all the Enduro bikes available were basically the best for some poppy trail use but could still smash down steep fast trails, while they could still easily get you up the hill - Now alot of them are huge - massive reach increases and bikes getting longer overal, which seems to all be aimed at Racing.
I Want to use Large frames as an example here: they've gone from about 460-475 reach to most now being 490, some even longer.

Is it the fact of, longer reach(bigger frame) for Racing, If you basically want to enjoy it and have the odd bit of racing Go with a more natural fit of say a Medium frame that has the "old large" geo numbers?

at the moment I would buy an enduro bike as a do it all bike since they are now quite a bit more capable and are bigger than a few years ago. If I was going to have one bike to do it all it would have 160mm front 150mm rear like a norco sight, santa cruz bronson and like a 64-65 degree head angle

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 11:26 Quote
I use a 2020 trek slash (previous generation) as my do it all MTB: 160 f/150r, 440 reach on medium size, 65° HA, about 15kg/33lbs.
I would not go bigger than this, as this bike is almost too big for me already.
The previous slash was pretty aggressive back in 2017, but in comparison with the newest slash and other newest enduro bikes, it is more a big trail bike than an enduro rig now, which suits me well.
I don't race, but I just need a robust trail bike with enough travel to ride technical alpine singletracks.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 13:00 Quote
The main reason that reach numbers are ever growing is because seat tube angles are getting steeper. A bike with a 75* STA with 460 reach would probably be a very similar sitting/pedalling position to a bike with a 77* STA and 480+ reach, although more forward from centre on the bike.
For me, the best thing to happen to modern geo isn’t the slack HTA, it’s the steeper STA. So much nicer to pedal up steep climbs! But a steep STA with a reach number of old would be way too cramped.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
toughchoices is spot-on. If a rider wants the steep seat-tube angle (big fan, myself) that retains agility, just find something with a steeper head-tube angle and/or less travel. Note that bikes with less travel don't need quite as steep a seat-tube angle, since they don't squat as much due to weight shift when climbing.

A typical 2021 "trail" bike has all the stability of an enduro bike from a few years ago.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:

The two enduros that I know of that are still like that are the evil wreckoning, and the Rocky Mountain altitude. They are both great bikes, I have seen reviews of people saying the evil is very poppy and easy to play around with for still being able to charge down a hill like you said. If it is in your budget I would try to find and evil wreckoning.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 11:12 Quote
AdinK wrote:
mtbtrekracer wrote:

The two enduros that I know of that are still like that are the evil wreckoning, and the Rocky Mountain altitude. They are both great bikes, I have seen reviews of people saying the evil is very poppy and easy to play around with for still being able to charge down a hill like you said. If it is in your budget I would try to find and evil wreckoning.

The rocky Altitude has really good geo and fit and seems to be a very good "do-it-all", but it's value in parts spec isnt great, i looked at buying one awhile ago, for e.g the A50, comes with a basic fox 36 and dpx2 but yet has SLX driveline and XT brakes... i would rather atleast a grip2 36 or basic 38... an x2 and downgrade the driveline to deore/Sram NX

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
Take a look at the evil wreckoning, or if Rocky Mountain sells it as a frame you could build one if that would cost less

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 13:15 Quote
AdinK wrote:
Take a look at the evil wreckoning, or if Rocky Mountain sells it as a frame you could build one if that would cost less
unfortunately where i live to build one from frame up, the cost would be way more.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 9:21 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
AdinK wrote:
unfortunately where i live to build one from frame up, the cost would be way more.
If I were you I would buy the evil wreckoning. You could also take a look at the Norco sight, but the wreckoning seems perfect based on what you said you are looking for.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 17:23 Quote
We have reviewed several Enduro bikes in the past year. Of all those so far the Transition Sentinel has been the best "all rounder" that we have brought in. It is poppy, playful and climbs well. Comes in reasonably light even for the NX build. It doesn't have the all out capability when things get rough and fast as compared to other bikes I've ridden but it blends many things well. We just posted our long term review on our YouTube channel and reference comparisons to the 2021 Meta TR & AM 29, Mega 290c, and Ripmo AF.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007493
Mobile Version of Website