Fox 36 service gone wrong

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Fox 36 service gone wrong
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 7:27 Quote
When servicing fox 36', after having trouble removing the wiper seal I damaged the top of the area around where the seal sits. The side of the spanner has dented the surrounding metal. After rebuilding and pressurising, once going through 10-15mm of the travel I can hear air escaping which sounds to be coming from the damper side. (damaged side, so i know the seals are brand new so ive damaged the metal and it allowing air to escape) Any ideas on solving this or have a completely f up my lowers?
my thoughts are stripping and trying to install the seal slightly further down so its away from the damaged area but other than that am i screwed?

I do have a video of the noise but unsure on how to upload.

thanks!

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 8:33 Quote
rhysmtb1234 wrote:
When servicing fox 36', after having trouble removing the wiper seal I damaged the top of the area around where the seal sits. The side of the spanner has dented the surrounding metal. After rebuilding and pressurising, once going through 10-15mm of the travel I can hear air escaping which sounds to be coming from the damper side. (damaged side, so i know the seals are brand new so ive damaged the metal and it allowing air to escape) Any ideas on solving this or have a completely f up my lowers?
my thoughts are stripping and trying to install the seal slightly further down so its away from the damaged area but other than that am i screwed?

I do have a video of the noise but unsure on how to upload.

thanks!
The wipers don't hold air. The airsping and damper cartridge function independently from the lowers/wipers.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 9:11 Quote
The wipers don't hold air. The airsping and damper cartridge function independently from the lowers/wipers.[/Quote]

When im going through the travel there is air escaping from the damper seal? whatever air is inside of the damper side is escaping from somewhere i can hear it.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
rhysmtb1234 wrote:
The wipers don't hold air. The airsping and damper cartridge function independently from the lowers/wipers.

When im going through the travel there is air escaping from the damper seal? whatever air is inside of the damper side is escaping from somewhere i can hear it.[/Quote]

Spray soapy water around the seals and compress the fork. If no bubbles show no airs coming out. Its probably not that but it will take a minute to steer you in the right direction.
Is it a damper noise ? Don't know much about the fox system but does the sound change with different rebound/compression settings by any chance?? Right oil used on damper side ?

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 10:56 Quote
When im going through the travel there is air escaping from the damper seal? whatever air is inside of the damper side is escaping from somewhere i can hear it.[/Quote]

Spray soapy water around the seals and compress the fork. If no bubbles show no airs coming out. Its probably not that but it will take a minute to steer you in the right direction.
Is it a damper noise ? Don't know much about the fox system but does the sound change with different rebound/compression settings by any chance?? Right oil used on damper side ?[/Quote]

I contacted silverfish fox UK and used 10cc air and 30cc damper as told by them so correct oil and amount. I've sprayed the stanchions with some fork oil and the noise seems to have gone but it now seems further UP? I will have another go at the spray tomorrow but couldn't really any air bubbles but it really sounded like air escaping.

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
Bit of a update, can no longer hear the noise after spraying fork with lube. No idea on what the problem was.......

Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 14:23 Quote
Maybe enough of the solvent in the lube went through the wiper, thinning the fork oil so that it drained down out of the wipers.
The gold Fox stuff I used was thicker than I expected when I was doing a service for the first time a few weeks back. As others have said there will be air displacement various parts the damper leg so it is possible that the seal on the bit that was bent was letting that passed.

The main thing is whether it still works as expected. If it does then you are probably okay, though the seal on the suspect part may wear at bit more. Only time and riding will tell you.

Hope you sort it out, it is always a pain when you bugger something up, particularly when it is an expensive or difficult to replace component.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005579
Mobile Version of Website