Best GoPro for Mountain Biking

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Best GoPro for Mountain Biking
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Feb 28, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
Does anyone have experience using all the different types of GoPro's? Which one is the best for beginners?

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 9:21 Quote
The latest Gopro is the Hero 9. It has pretty good image stabilization. Since its the newest, you can probably score a great deal on the previous versions, Hero 4-8.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 9:30 Quote
jesses-g wrote:
Does anyone have experience using all the different types of GoPro's? Which one is the best for beginners?
If you don't want to spend any money then get an old Hero 3. It will look awfully shaky (don't mount on your bars. Image looks better when worn and a little better with a gimbal), but you'll get the basics and learn on something cheap.
If you want to spend some more get the Hero 7 (or higher). The image stabilization has been getting better with each release, but the cost has also followed.
Finally, the simplest option is a Hero Session (looks like a cube) - one button operation. It is small so it isn't bulky to wear (if that's your plan) and it has pretty decent stabilization. No batteries to lose - it's built in - so you charge it and go.
In any option you'll need to provide your own SD card.
Hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 9:39 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
jesses-g wrote:
If you don't want to spend any money then get an old Hero 3. It will look awfully shaky (don't mount on your bars. Image looks better when worn and a little better with a gimbal), but you'll get the basics and learn on something cheap.
If you want to spend some more get the Hero 7 (or higher). The image stabilization has been getting better with each release, but the cost has also followed.
Finally, the simplest option is a Hero Session (looks like a cube) - one button operation. It is small so it isn't bulky to wear (if that's your plan) and it has pretty decent stabilization. No batteries to lose - it's built in - so you charge it and go.
In any option you'll need to provide your own SD card.
Hope this helps.

I've read some reviews that say the Hero Session holder isn't that robust. Do you know if that's true?

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:09 Quote
jesses-g wrote:
I've read some reviews that say the Hero Session holder isn't that robust. Do you know if that's true?

Now that you mention it I have had a problem with the frame that wraps around and holds the Session. I mounted it under the saddle facing backward just over my rear tire (I'd get cool shots of my riding buddies nailing the trail - sometimes crashing - behind me). It lasted for just over a year before it finally said "ENOUGH!!" and broke. So I'd say I tortured it and I deserved the failure of the frame. The replacement wasn't too costly - I got a whole new Session with frame for under $50 online. My Session that fell off was still working too (it went FLYING and took a while to find). So I've learned that the little holes in the Session let you put fishing line through them - you can doubly secure the camera independent of the frame mount.
* edited spelling *

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
HERO 7 BLACK is the first model with gimbal-like image stabilization imo, and can be bought cheap now that they're up to #9. You can buy the others for leaving on the ground or stationary recording, but for helmet/chest/bike mounting goes, I'd buy more 7 Black versions and be done.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 13:51 Quote
What about Sony Action Cameras? Or other brands of action cams?

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 6:08 Quote
jesses-g wrote:
What about Sony Action Cameras? Or other brands of action cams?

Sorry, no experience with those.

Posted: May 27, 2022 at 21:52 Quote
ive got a hero 3+ black hooked up to an evo ss gimbal and up and down is smooth left and right turning is smooth but when I lang anything it shakes side to side really badly

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005912
Mobile Version of Website