Favorite brakes

Previous Page |
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 6:38 Quote
What are your favorite enduro/am/downhill brakes on the market, and why are they your favorite? Thanks!

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
Trickstuff>Shigura>Magura>Formula>Shimano>Hope>Sram>Mechanical discs>V brakes> No brakes> jamming a stick in the wheel> Fingers in the wheel> Cantilever brakes

Also interested in trying the Brakeforceone H2O brakes. Would be interesting to if they actually bring their ABS system to market.

https://www.brakeforceone.de/h2o/

https://www.brakeforceone.de/e-bike-abs/

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
AdinK wrote:
What are your favorite enduro/am/downhill brakes on the market, and why are they your favorite? Thanks!

Magura MT5. Very powerful, never fade, easy to bleed, and use mineral oil.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 8:43 Quote
I don't like Magura because of their plasticy feel and for the MT5 they charge additional 30€ for usable brake levers per side! I'd look into some Shimano Saints or Zees. Shimano has cheap pads and spareparts and you can get them basically everywhere in non-pandemic times. I'm completely happy with my new SLX 4-pot seires. They feel great, the lever is mado of one chink of aluminum (?) but they often seem to have variing bite points. The upgrade to XT is not worth it.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
meSSican wrote:
AdinK wrote:

Magura MT5. Very powerful, never fade, easy to bleed, and use mineral oil.
Yeah I’m thinking I might get the mt7 or the hope tech e4s

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
Has anybody ridden the Hayes dominion a4? I’m seeing some pretty great reviews on it.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 10:23 Quote
I prefer the Magura MT7 with the hc3 lever. Love the feel. So smooth and modulated.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
Had Sram G2 RSC brakes, then upgraded to Shimano Saints. While they probably work for more experienced home mechanics, the Srams were just too finicky, constantly had rubbing issues, and the syringe-style bleeding just wasn't for me. Definitely overkill for my needs but I'm not counting grams and the Saints have been bulletproof since I put them on last summer.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 17:41 Quote
Ive had Guide RS, Code RSC, Shigura's.

The Guides were no good for me. I am a bigger guy and i prefer to brake late into corners and those do not allow that.

Code RSC's were awesome. The modulation is great and the power is adequate for the trails i normally ride. I did experiment quite a bit with these to get them to feel just right. I found my ideal setup was Magura Storm HC rotors 203/180 with Trickstuff pads or Galfer Performance pads. Unfortunately i had to warranty them twice due to sticky pistons. There is a cheap workaround for that if you have these brakes that replaces the plunger in the lever to keep them nice and snappy.

Im now experimenting with Shigura's. Shimano 9020 levers with MT5 calipers. Trickstuff pads front and Magura standard pads in the back. Power is in abundance with these. They have the shimano bite. Some may say modulation is poor on these, they just don't know how to brake apparently. So far im very impressed and will not be removing these for the foreseeable future.

Hope that helps you on your quest to find the best brakes for you. Cheers!

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 18:22 Quote
Shimano saints. I’ve had the same pair on multiple bikes for three years...now going on their fourth season. Super easy to bleed and they stop you going downhill.

I have mine paired with Galfer rotors because they are cheaper and work just as good as the pricey Shimano Ice tech rotors

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 19:38 Quote
AdinK wrote:
Has anybody ridden the Hayes dominion a4? I’m seeing some pretty great reviews on it.

I have a set. Smooth and light lever action, firm bite point, comfy lever, and a reliable brake overall. I used to be a Shimano brake guy, but I couldn't stand the servo-wave, and, while Sram makes some powerful brakes, I can't stand the lever shape. Dominions will eventually replace all of my Shimano brakes.

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 22:22 Quote
magura mt7 as they just feel right.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
I used Shimano and Hated them (m510 or something like that.. cant remember)
Tried Shimano Xt because a friend convinced me.. What a terrible experience. I went OTB a lot of times just because they have Z-E-R-O (0) none! modulation...
Switched to Avid 9 and liked them...
Those led me to Guide R... they were Nice, but got sticky pistons
Upgraded to Guide RSC Loved them! Modulation and power are Awesome
Sold the bike, and couldnt afford those again. Besides I was worried about the getting sticky brakes again
Bought the Magura MT5, and I'm amazed. cant believe it took me so long to find these.

Maybe the MT7 are nicer, but the MT5 feel incredible. I think the RSC feel a bit more fancy, if thats even a thing, but the Maguras just work flawlessly,

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 13:22 Quote
I love Magura MT7s. They actually did a study and found out they were the strongest brakes going 45kph to 0. If you don't like the Magura Plastic feel I believe you can get different levers.

https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-disc-brake-can-buy/

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006161
Mobile Version of Website