Ankle wrap for "anterior ankle impingement"?

PB Forum :: Fitness, Training and Health
Ankle wrap for "anterior ankle impingement"?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 15:14 Quote
A couple weeks ago I landed a drop and got a sharp pain between the top of my foot and the leg bone. I havent gotten it diagnosed but it sounds just like anterior ankle impingement which I guess can take 6 weeks to get better (if its not that then its in the same location as the pictures show)

I get that sharp pain when I bend my ankle too far upwards, once I trigger it it feels like I have a sprained ankle for the next couple of hours.

Do I need a certain kind of wrap/brace which would help to prevent bending the ankle upwards (like landing a drop)? Or would any kind of wrap work?

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 17:26 Quote
singleandluvinit wrote:
A couple weeks ago I landed a drop and got a sharp pain between the top of my foot and the leg bone. I havent gotten it diagnosed but it sounds just like anterior ankle impingement which I guess can take 6 weeks to get better (if its not that then its in the same location as the pictures show)

I get that sharp pain when I bend my ankle too far upwards, once I trigger it it feels like I have a sprained ankle for the next couple of hours.

Do I need a certain kind of wrap/brace which would help to prevent bending the ankle upwards (like landing a drop)? Or would any kind of wrap work?

Have you ever heard of SpaceBrace? They make really high tech ankle braces for athletes and cyclist. I bought a pair because i hate slipping a pedaLs and rolling ankles

Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 21:08 Quote
Does it prevent dorsiflexion (upwards bending)? I dont have a problem with rolling to the side, I have to prevent dorsiflexion for a few weeks.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 19:35 Quote
singleandluvinit wrote:
Does it prevent dorsiflexion (upwards bending)? I dont have a problem with rolling to the side, I have to prevent dorsiflexion for a few weeks.

Well my whole ankle is l feels completely supported. You might check their website and see if you can find anything out

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 22:50 Quote
singleandluvinit wrote:

So I had an injury that sounds like yours over 20 yrs ago. Just delt with it, symptoms got better with time but persisted over years where it just hurt in the area after bunch walking. Hightops helped give support, could do things (like run, hike grand canyon). NEVER got it looked at until couple years ago (since I had a knee issue that limited running anyway). Now xrays/mri show I have advanced ankle arthritis and need a total ankle joint replacement. The anterior part of joint is basically gone, no obvious significant bone spur as seen with many impingement syndromes. I think there is/was just enough spur to grind that slowly away over years (remember as I noted I gave up running due to knee so I wasnt excessively using ankle). Bottom line recommendation, get it looked at and push for MRI and/or CT scan (over just xrays) if even mild symptoms persist. My biggest disapointment in myself is I didnt get it evaluated a long time ago.

See my post "anyone else have a total ankle replacement?"

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 22:52 Quote
Also, there are ankle braces that lace up, kind of like a hightop shoe.

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 22:11 Quote
Spacebrace has helped out a ton for me. Have the same issue. I know this is an old post but I figured Id put the info out for anybody that stumbles on this post.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005271
Mobile Version of Website