Ripmo af cheaper alternative?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Ripmo af cheaper alternative?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 1, 2021 at 23:29 Quote
Does anyone know a do it all bike like the ibis ripmo af that can peddle up hill and do great down hill.

The yt Jeffrey base model 29er peaks my interest but I’m not sure when the new models are coming out and the 2020 models have been sold out forever

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
I was looking at that bike and it’s seems like a top contender but my My single top contender now it seems is the nukeproof mega 290 base model

I love that it has more rear suspension travel but the suspension seems a level down compared to the ripmo af which has a coil and better fork.

But it seems the nukeproof gets slightly better reviews. But both are rave reviewed

The only drawback I’ve read about the ibis ripmo af is that it could use a little more rear travel which is what I fear because their is one local trail that is super rocky that happens to be one of my favorite trails but I don’t only ride that trail I ride a variety of trails some mostly with mixed rocky and smooth areas

And then I read the ripmo has bearings that should avoid water or be thoroughly cleaned if they get wet and that it isn’t easy. But most likely I will just keep the back order of the ripmo unless someone here sways my opinion of it. To get the nukeproof base model 290

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 10:39 Quote
dhrider8051 wrote:
I was looking at that bike and it’s seems like a top contender but my My single top contender now it seems is the nukeproof mega 290 base model

I love that it has more rear suspension travel but the suspension seems a level down compared to the ripmo af which has a coil and better fork.

But it seems the nukeproof gets slightly better reviews. But both are rave reviewed

The only drawback I’ve read about the ibis ripmo af is that it could use a little more rear travel which is what I fear because their is one local trail that is super rocky that happens to be one of my favorite trails but I don’t only ride that trail I ride a variety of trails some mostly with mixed rocky and smooth areas

And then I read the ripmo has bearings that should avoid water or be thoroughly cleaned if they get wet and that it isn’t easy. But most likely I will just keep the back order of the ripmo unless someone here sways my opinion of it. To get the nukeproof base model 290
I would take a look at the norco sight. It’s a good all around bike that can do pretty much anything.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
I believe you can increase the rear travel on the Reactor 290 to 140... not sure. The Meta TR and Jeffsy are great bikes. I heard the Caynon Spectral got good reviews, but you can't get it until April.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 13:08 Quote
Do you guys know if any of these bikes have low bb’s I hate pedal strikes which is why I sold my last bike frey ex I want a bike that pedals good up hill but don’t get pedal strikes

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 13:12 Quote
Stay with the Ripmo or the Commencal TR
That TR looks SICK!!!!

I believe RAF has a better pedal platform though

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
Some of the bikes have flip chips which I think helps a lot with pedal strikes. I had a similar problem but having a flip chip really helps

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 14:46 Quote
Meta TR is not a great bike to pedal uphill, at all. It is a long, heavy bike with near DH geo. It’s a mini DH bike/enduro sled that can be pedaled uphill.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 14:49 Quote
Another option out there is the Marin Alpine trail......alloy and carbon options seem to be around.

O+
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
rtiEDGE wrote:
Meta TR is not a great bike to pedal uphill, at all. It is a long, heavy bike with near DH geo. It’s a mini DH bike/enduro sled that can be pedaled uphill.

The Meta TR has a crazy steep 78.6˚ seat tube angle. That will put you right over the pedals contriibuting to it pedaling really well. It also has a shorter top tube length than before so it's actually shorter than the previous model making it climb really well. Yes, it will feel really long and stable but only on the downhill because of that long reach, but it won't make a difference on the uphill, and yes I know it's a little heavier but given your budget, I think it is 100% worth it. Besides Alloy frames only weigh about 2 lbs more than carbon. At least the Ripmo and Ripmo AF do. And believe it or not, the Ripmo AF actually has a longer top tube length by almost 14mm in the size large compared to the Meta

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 17:37 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
rtiEDGE wrote:

The Meta TR has a crazy steep 78.6˚ seat tube angle. That will put you right over the pedals contriibuting to it pedaling really well. It also has a shorter top tube length than before so it's actually shorter than the previous model making it climb really well. Yes, it will feel really long and stable but only on the downhill because of that long reach, but it won't make a difference on the uphill, and yes I know it's a little heavier but given your budget, I think it is 100% worth it. Besides Alloy frames only weigh about 2 lbs more than carbon. At least the Ripmo and Ripmo AF do. And believe it or not, the Ripmo AF actually has a longer top tube length by almost 14mm in the size large compared to the Meta

Good point(s). My friend’s Meta TR just felt like a tank when I rode it. Also, the differences in suspension design will have a huge effect on climbing: DW link>linkage driven single pivot

O+
Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 10:17 Quote
rtiEDGE wrote:
Kidklayko wrote:
rtiEDGE wrote:

Good point(s). My friend’s Meta TR just felt like a tank when I rode it. Also, the differences in suspension design will have a huge effect on climbing: DW link>linkage driven single pivot

Yeah, anything designed by Dave Weagle tends to climb really efficiently, (Ibis, Pivot, Evil, Devinci). Commencal has never had a goal of making something that climbs in a sporty way. They just care about getting you to the top not how fast you get there and allowing you to have a lot of fun on the Downhill.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 11:58 Quote
another option is Giant Trance 29 (DW-ish)

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012702
Mobile Version of Website