Enduro: Mondraker vs Scott vs Rocky Mountain

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Enduro: Mondraker vs Scott vs Rocky Mountain
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 3:00 Quote
Have been riding for 12 months now and ready to step up to full suspension.
Local shops have limited supply/choice but I think I have narrowed it down to Mondraker, Scott or Rocky Mountain enduro
Have $5k AUD to spend.
Happy for any opinions please.
Local terrain is bike park, climbs with steep downhill, roots, jumps, steep chutes pretty diverse actually

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 6:44 Quote
PMT420 wrote:
Have been riding for 12 months now and ready to step up to full suspension.
Local shops have limited supply/choice but I think I have narrowed it down to Mondraker, Scott or Rocky Mountain enduro
Have $5k AUD to spend.
Happy for any opinions please.
Local terrain is bike park, climbs with steep downhill, roots, jumps, steep chutes pretty diverse actually
The Mondraker zero pivot system is very unique and I’ve heard that it is effective, the Rocky Mountain doesn’t have the best value for the price for any of the models. I don’t know much about the Scott but it has pretty good specs for the price, and they worked out a strange way to use a very small shock and get a lot of travel, so then you get a better fork and less weight. I’ve heard the Mondraker is difficult to ride, and the Scott will not climb great due to the not too steep seat tube angle. I also would not be too confident in all the lightweight xc shocks they use on the Scott, I think it might fall apart if you are putting it through big hits regularly. The Rocky Mountain will be the best all-rounder out of the group and be fun to ride, the Mondraker will go incredibly fast once you get used to it, and if I personally would not trust a hardcore xc shock for anything more extreme than regular trail riding. None of them bikes have the best bang for your buck. Hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 12:03 Quote
Amazing summary, thank you.
All the things you pointed out were things that were bothering me.
Mondraker sounds like a great bike but reviews all mention the difficulty in riding and as I’m only new to the sport, it is a big concern. Will attempt to take for a test ride.
I get what your saying about the Rocky too but as you mention, it might be the best of an average bunch.
Have also heard Scott is ok but MTB development isn’t their priority and it is just an ok bike.
What would you suggest for $5k AUD for an intermediate rider with minimal bike knowledge and wanting to have fun with little hassle?

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 12:14 Quote
for that price i would look at the trek slash or giant reign. in Australia and NZ support is limited for alot of other brands. scott bikes are around but they need to give that twin lock the boot. its shit - their XC bike is very good but as you look up the models from that genius and ransom, they all carry that same design from the XC bike... so unless you want to beat all your friends up but get left behind on the downs then scott i guess.

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
My vote is for the Mondraker. I own a foxy myself. Once you go with the long reach, there’s no looking back!

Posted: Mar 2, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
PMT420 wrote:
Amazing summary, thank you.
All the things you pointed out were things that were bothering me.
Mondraker sounds like a great bike but reviews all mention the difficulty in riding and as I’m only new to the sport, it is a big concern. Will attempt to take for a test ride.
I get what your saying about the Rocky too but as you mention, it might be the best of an average bunch.
Have also heard Scott is ok but MTB development isn’t their priority and it is just an ok bike.
What would you suggest for $5k AUD for an intermediate rider with minimal bike knowledge and wanting to have fun with little hassle?
I would take a look at the evil wreckoning. The wreckoning is pretty nimble and Easy to bunny hop, manual, jump, etc, and it is still a tank when you point it through the rough stuff. If you can find one it seems to be just what you are looking for. I would contact their customer service and ask when they will have more. It also has good specs for the prices. I don’t know how much it would cost where you live though.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 3:15 Quote
Digsafe wrote:
My vote is for the Mondraker. I own a foxy myself. Once you go with the long reach, there’s no looking back!
I was thinking the foxy too. I had my heart set on it but have talked myself out of it!!! Local shop will have them in in 5 weeks so think I’ll just jump on and see how it feels

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 3:17 Quote
mtbtrekracer wrote:
for that price i would look at the trek slash or giant reign. in Australia and NZ support is limited for alot of other brands. scott bikes are around but they need to give that twin lock the boot. its shit - their XC bike is very good but as you look up the models from that genius and ransom, they all carry that same design from the XC bike... so unless you want to beat all your friends up but get left behind on the downs then scott i guess.
Yeah I like slash but was looking for something a little “different”, but then again they are popular for a reason!!
Have a trek XC and love it, maybe your right ????

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 3:32 Quote
Seems you are willing to give some money for a bike. From the above i think mondraker is the best. May i suggest propain tyee/spindrift, privateer 161, nukeproof mega and santa cruz nomad/megatower.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 3:43 Quote
https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=ArjUNpJXPE-z_njsvLYdcsFwYw8vZW5AhM55mJSr7LFUN1A0RDFCREU0QlpPOTFETFo2TzlBSVhCRS4u

Hi guys I'm doing some coursework for my college course, IM hoping you could help me out and fill this in. Many thanks.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 6:12 Quote
PMT420 wrote:
Digsafe wrote:
I was thinking the foxy too. I had my heart set on it but have talked myself out of it!!! Local shop will have them in in 5 weeks so think I’ll just jump on and see how it feels
Also, it might be a bit easier for you to get used to riding the foxy because you have not been riding your whole life so it probably won’t feel that hard to get used to because you don’t have a ton of experience on other “normal” bikes.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 13:35 Quote
AdinK wrote:
PMT420 wrote:
Digsafe wrote:
Also, it might be a bit easier for you to get used to riding the foxy because you have not been riding your whole life so it probably won’t feel that hard to get used to because you don’t have a ton of experience on other “normal” bikes.

Honestly , I don’t get the whole getting used to the mondraker thing. I get it, it has a long reach by average of 2” over bikes from a few years ago. not a big deal.
3 years ago there were a few reviews about the whole reach thing and how it was so hard to get used to but the way things are now in the biking industry the competition is catching up and making their bikes longer kinda like what Mondraker started so I really don’t know how the people doing these bike reviews are going to be able to ride the newer longer bikes that companies are trending to.
I have trails here at home where there are switch backs and sidewinders that myself and my previous bike( intense tracer) were barely able to make a turn on. I’m still able to make it on my Foxy. You just have more room to stretch your arms out a bit.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 15:26 Quote
Digsafe wrote:
AdinK wrote:
PMT420 wrote:

Honestly , I don’t get the whole getting used to the mondraker thing. I get it, it has a long reach by average of 2” over bikes from a few years ago. not a big deal.
3 years ago there were a few reviews about the whole reach thing and how it was so hard to get used to but the way things are now in the biking industry the competition is catching up and making their bikes longer kinda like what Mondraker started so I really don’t know how the people doing these bike reviews are going to be able to ride the newer longer bikes that companies are trending to.
I have trails here at home where there are switch backs and sidewinders that myself and my previous bike( intense tracer) were barely able to make a turn on. I’m still able to make it on my Foxy. You just have more room to stretch your arms out a bit.
Yeah that would make sense the knolly warden has a reach of over 500mm and there are other bikes that have longer reaches than the mondraker now too.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.059721
Mobile Version of Website