Skips established trails about 3 out of 5 rides

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Skips established trails about 3 out of 5 rides
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
I don't ride a lot of different parks, mostly Banner Forest in Port Orchard, WA. All the trails are well established and TrailForks shows them on the map. But I've just gotten so frustrated because like today's ride on March 3, it completely skips an entire trail, Dr. John. Last time it was Roots, the time before that it was another trail. I tried to use the "Recalculate Stats & Trail Identification" and nothing happens.
If I can't trust TrailForks on simple, well-established trails, how can I trust it on a new trail somewhere I've never been before?
Does anyone else have this problem? Should I try another application?

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 5:45 Quote
CWSMTB wrote:
I don't ride a lot of different parks, mostly Banner Forest in Port Orchard, WA. All the trails are well established and TrailForks shows them on the map. But I've just gotten so frustrated because like today's ride on March 3, it completely skips an entire trail, Dr. John. Last time it was Roots, the time before that it was another trail. I tried to use the "Recalculate Stats & Trail Identification" and nothing happens.
If I can't trust TrailForks on simple, well-established trails, how can I trust it on a new trail somewhere I've never been before?
Does anyone else have this problem? Should I try another application?

TF is finicky about giving a rider credit for completing a trail. In some cases you have to ride directly through the start and finish points and have very little variation from the marked track on the app. Even if you have ridden the actual trail it will depend on how accurate your GPS track correlates to the trail that is drawn on the app. Sometimes the trail is drawn in a way that can't be ridden, sometimes the start or finish are in the middle of a busy street, sometimes your GPS devices will 'wander' off track, etc. Also, if you decide to ride the trail in sections instead of a straight, one time ride then TF won't count it. There's some frustration involved - you're definitely not the only one who has experienced this, but the rules are very simple. If the trail isn't mapped correctly then you can contribute to the site by fixing the trail to match the actual course.
I hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 12:38 Quote
Convenient explanation. But I don't think it is applicable. I ride these trails three to five times a week. I think TrailForks is experiencing serious problems. Just today, it did not even upload my entire ride - it is recorded, but I can get it to upload it.
In the last six months, I rode each of these trails 35 + times, and just this last 4 weeks or so, trail forks has dropped 2 or 3 trails out of 8. I can also ride the exact same set of trails and one day it's 4.7 miles and the next day it's 5.8 miles. The feed to Strava is more accurate and consistent.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005312
Mobile Version of Website