Carbon wheels on alu bike... yes? no? pointless? amazing?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Carbon wheels on alu bike... yes? no? pointless? amazing?
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
gmoss wrote:
Carbon wheels can offer more damping, a more compliant ride.

Yes, and they can also offer less damping and a less compliant ride.

The design trend is toward low section height for all rims. Aluminum rims have generally not had very high section heights, but early carbon rims often did - and some still do. Early carbon rims with tall section heights were known for being less comfortable than typical aluminum rims. Modern carbon rims are much shallower, with some even going to a single-wall design, like Bouwmeester, Kuroshiro, and Zipp.

Go for an extremely low section height to get the best ride feel from a carbon rim.

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
I went from Race Face ARC Offset HD wheels to Nobl TR37s on a metal frame. Great alternate, the wheels are nice and snappy for climbing and techy sections at speed. Honestly, they aren’t quite as good at holding a line in rock gardens. The beastly metal rims are pretty great for pure DH when I want to hit the bike park.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 4:25 Quote
Same can be said for all wheels. Why it is important to research. I am certainly pleased with my choices.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 6:49 Quote
remote-local wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
So your profile picture is an accurate depiction of your riding situation?

sadly yes. I'm reduced to constantly riding my road bike as I sold my Reign a few weeks back thinking that my new bike was just days away. but "next week" has become "hopefully in the next two weeks" has become "we'll let you know when we hear anything..."

that pic is about 10 years old, it was some genius' response to all the fixed gear hype. even better than one gear? no gear!

i've waited weeks just for a derailleur now, c'mon shimano! how long does it take!

my DJ is due in early april, equally excessive time.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 11:20 Quote
I can't complain too loudly, it's only been 4 or so weeks since I ordered my bike, but one of my mates ordered a Santa Cruz megatower with all the trimmings (a totally obscene dream machine moment for him) in September last year, and he's currently hoping to see it in May...

justgoride wrote:
remote-local wrote:
R-M-R wrote:
So your profile picture is an accurate depiction of your riding situation?

sadly yes. I'm reduced to constantly riding my road bike as I sold my Reign a few weeks back thinking that my new bike was just days away. but "next week" has become "hopefully in the next two weeks" has become "we'll let you know when we hear anything..."

that pic is about 10 years old, it was some genius' response to all the fixed gear hype. even better than one gear? no gear!

i've waited weeks just for a derailleur now, c'mon shimano! how long does it take!

my DJ is due in early april, equally excessive time.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010559
Mobile Version of Website