Hardtail Frames

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 19:06 Quote
I’m going to build a hardtail and I’m looking for any resources or input on frames to start my build. I am in Southern California and I’m looking for something that can tackle any trail. Any stories/experiences that you can share that would help me out?

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 6:28 Quote
I know someone on a Kona Honzo that eats up everything at Aliso and Laguna Coast....

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 6:38 Quote
rhalter48 wrote:
I’m going to build a hardtail and I’m looking for any resources or input on frames to start my build. I am in Southern California and I’m looking for something that can tackle any trail. Any stories/experiences that you can share that would help me out?
I have a commencal meta ht and it absolutely rips mine had a 1 degree angle set so 64 degrees a 470mm reach and you can go to bike parks all across the uk and do most trails and jump lines. I’ve had a medium and it was too short for me being 5 11 so got the xl. I was thinking about a pipedream moxie since that also looks pretty good but the frame was just slightly too much for me

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 7:07 Quote
PhatBrett wrote:
I know someone on a Kona Honzo that eats up everything at Aliso and Laguna Coast....

I've been looking at this one. I am going to put a Fox 34 that I have on it so those more aggressive hardtails are exactly what I am looking for.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 7:34 Quote
rhalter48 wrote:
I would look at the rsd middle child. It comes in 3 different materials so it will work with pretty much any budget. People say it’s “ultra capable” and goes up and down incredibly well.
Ask questions about it to the guys on this and read through this thread. https://m.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=210027

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
rhalter48 wrote:

My top picks for capable hard tails in order of favorite that I have personally ridden

Banshee Paradox V3 (My current fav)
RSD middle child (very much like the paradox and available in TI AL and Steel)
Santa Cruz chameleon (go with the Alloy frame that carbon is stiff as h*ll)
Kona Honzo Great all rounder.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 21:09 Quote
Can't say enough good things about my Chromag.

I've ridden the canfield nimble 9, Ti Honzo, a custom geo Lynskey and this primer is the nicest ride of them all. It is stiff where it needs to be but compliant and comfortable at the same time. The geo is well worked out and can tackle anything and is fun and nimble while still being fairly playful. Definitely worth considering. Not sure how well it would work out with a fox 34 though, you might want something burlier up front.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
Kona Honzo with fox 34 140mm works great, i have rode this setup in all over moab and tahoe, oregon,washington
originally that frame is 120mm spec but everyone i know ran it @ 140mm 2012-2020, the 2021 is now spec. 140

Kona ESD if you really want a hardtail machine that's more of an aggressive descender then all-arounder, you could probably get the fox 34 to work, but its really more intended to have beefier fork like the 36 running 150-160mm.

I can safely say my friends even on full-suspension have problems keeping up with me on the honzo even in SS mode.

look at the chromags for sure!!

I currently ride a Chromag Stylus a super playful bike
slack, low stack, 27.5 and super fun bike
but i think the 27.5 makes me work really hard to lead, where the 29er allowed me to just cruise, the 27.5 is just more playful and riding anything with berms, tight turns and jumps it shines; its a really nimble bike.

I would definitely look at a Chromag Rootdown or that primer above, though i have not ridden them.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 14:53 Quote
rahrider wrote:

I've ridden the canfield nimble 9, Ti Honzo, a custom geo Lynskey and this primer is the nicest ride of them all. It is stiff where it needs to be but compliant and comfortable at the same time. The geo is well worked out and can tackle anything and is fun and nimble while still being fairly playful. Definitely worth considering. Not sure how well it would work out with a fox 34 though, you might want something burlier up front.

This wasn't even on my radar but now I'm going to have to consider this one too. Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, how deep in the $$ are you on that bike?

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
csvetich wrote:
Kona Honzo with fox 34 140mm works great, i have rode this setup in all over moab and tahoe, oregon,washington
originally that frame is 120mm spec but everyone i know ran it @ 140mm 2012-2020, the 2021 is now spec. 140

Kona ESD if you really want a hardtail machine that's more of an aggressive descender then all-arounder, you could probably get the fox 34 to work, but its really more intended to have beefier fork like the 36 running 150-160mm.

I can safely say my friends even on full-suspension have problems keeping up with me on the honzo even in SS mode.

look at the chromags for sure!!

I currently ride a Chromag Stylus a super playful bike
slack, low stack, 27.5 and super fun bike
but i think the 27.5 makes me work really hard to lead, where the 29er allowed me to just cruise, the 27.5 is just more playful and riding anything with berms, tight turns and jumps it shines; its a really nimble bike.

I would definitely look at a Chromag Rootdown or that primer above, though i have not ridden them.

I'm a taller guy at 6' 4" so I am definitely leaning towards the 29" but I will definitely look into these Chromags.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 22:17 Quote
rhalter48 wrote:
rahrider wrote:

This wasn't even on my radar but now I'm going to have to consider this one too. Thanks for the info! If you don't mind me asking, how deep in the $$ are you on that bike?

The primer is expensive but I came to it after a series of fortunate events. I think they sell for 1900 CAD + paint. The Rootdown is the exact same bike but made in Taiwan. I have broken too many overseas hardtails so I figured I would support local during COVID and hope for a better outcome. I had the parts from another bike so it hasn't cost too much to put together. Rootdown's are about 900 I think. I know many who ride the rootdown and have never seen one fail. I know people call a 160mm hardtail aggressive and something 140 more "all around" but I have to say, I never find myself wanting less fork. Even when I ride it on tight twisty XC stuff, the longer fork doesn't bother me and when I'm pinning it, I definitely don't want anything smaller. I'm 6'2" and was contemplating between the L and XL. I went for the L and it fits well. The XL would probably be perfect for you.

Post a pic of your rig when you get it. Happy shopping!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006272
Mobile Version of Website