Dt Swiss 54t ratchet upgrade, worth it?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Dt Swiss 54t ratchet upgrade, worth it?
Previous Page |
Author Message
Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 20:29 Quote
Hi,

Have a pair of dt Swiss e1700 on my Reign and looking into upgrading the stock 18t ratchet to a 54t one.
Is it worth it? Is there a big difference for technical climbs?

Thanks

Posted: Mar 3, 2021 at 20:46 Quote
lpizales wrote:
Hi,

Have a pair of dt Swiss e1700 on my Reign and looking into upgrading the stock 18t ratchet to a 54t one.
Is it worth it? Is there a big difference for technical climbs?

Thanks

Yeah, I have a 54t, I installed it the moment I got the bike. I have ridden a friend's with the standard 18t and there is definitely a noticeable difference. I actually feel it when you stand up and pedal really really slow your pedals don't sink to the ground like before. I also feel a slight difference when coming out of corners and pedaling hard because it makes the bike giddy-up faster. It probably helps the most on techy climbs to be honest. But after all, the biggest difference is probably that sweet sound.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 23:17 Quote
Thanks! Think it might be the next upgrade.

Zas
Kidklayko wrote:
lpizales wrote:
Hi,

Have a pair of dt Swiss e1700 on my Reign and looking into upgrading the stock 18t ratchet to a 54t one.
Is it worth it? Is there a big difference for technical climbs?

Thanks

Yeah, I have a 54t, I installed it the moment I got the bike. I have ridden a friend's with the standard 18t and there is definitely a noticeable difference. I actually feel it when you stand up and pedal really really slow your pedals don't sink to the ground like before. I also feel a slight difference when coming out of corners and pedaling hard because it makes the bike giddy-up faster. It probably helps the most on techy climbs to be honest. But after all, the biggest difference is probably that sweet sound.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:01 Quote
lpizales wrote:
Thanks! Think it might be the next upgrade.

Zas
Kidklayko wrote:
lpizales wrote:
Hi,

Have a pair of dt Swiss e1700 on my Reign and looking into upgrading the stock 18t ratchet to a 54t one.
Is it worth it? Is there a big difference for technical climbs?

Thanks

Yeah, I have a 54t, I installed it the moment I got the bike. I have ridden a friend's with the standard 18t and there is definitely a noticeable difference. I actually feel it when you stand up and pedal really really slow your pedals don't sink to the ground like before. I also feel a slight difference when coming out of corners and pedaling hard because it makes the bike giddy-up faster. It probably helps the most on techy climbs to be honest. But after all, the biggest difference is probably that sweet sound.

hey guys
someone tried chinese ones and can recommend?
or should i use only dt swiss original?
the real ones so dang expensive..

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:22 Quote
Haven't tried the Chinese ones, I just used the standard DT swiss and performance has been flawless.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:24 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
Haven't tried the Chinese ones, I just used the standard DT swiss and performance has been flawless.
i guess this is the best way to increase engagement without replacing hub isn't it ?

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
I don't know another way to increase engagement on a hub. I believe DT swiss is the only hub brand that lets you buy a rachet to upgrade. I do not think you can increase the engagement on any i9, onyx, roval, etc.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:30 Quote
I wouldn't recommend running Chinese ratchets.

From my understanding, DT was always seemed content with the 36T as the highest tooth count and never even made the 54T until Bontrager (who had licensed the technology) pushed them hard to make one.
There are two reasons why DT doesn't push the 54T.
1 = reliability, 2 = pedal kickback (on full suspension bikes)

So if DT is concerned about reliability on the 54T ratchet, a Chinese 54T would be a bit scary.

And yes, the 54T upgrade is arguably expensive for what you get, but I only know of one other hub that gives you the option to upgrade points of engagement for such a low price (and without replacing your entire hub & therefore building a new wheel).

I have 54T on my XC race bike, 36T on my fatbike (for reliability reasons) and 18T on my old hardtail / spare bike.
The difference from 18 to 36 is quite noticeable, but the difference up to 54 from 36 is much less noticeable.

I'd keep an eye out for some 36T take-offs if you're concerned about price.

And if you do run Chinese ratchets, at least it's easy enough to take the hub apart and check on them every month.
You'd also want to make sure you get the right grease if you're going to run Chinese ratchets.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
Kidklayko wrote:
I don't know another way to increase engagement on a hub. I believe DT swiss is the only hub brand that lets you buy a ratchet to upgrade. I do not think you can increase the engagement on any i9, onyx, roval, etc.

One of the newer Bontrager hubs has 6 pawl pockets in the freehub body, but only populates 3 of them. They sell an upgrade kit (a bag of 3 more pawls & springs) which allows you to upgrade to 108 POE, I think.

As I posted above - this endless chase for higher POE might come at the cost of suspension performance due to pedal kickback. It's something not discussed very often.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:34 Quote
vissile wrote:
I wouldn't recommend running Chinese ratchets.

From my understanding, DT was always seemed content with the 36T as the highest tooth count and never even made the 54T until Bontrager (who had licensed the technology) pushed them hard to make one.
There are two reasons why DT doesn't push the 54T.
1 = reliability, 2 = pedal kickback (on full suspension bikes)

So if DT is concerned about reliability on the 54T ratchet, a Chinese 54T would be a bit scary.

And yes, the 54T upgrade is arguably expensive for what you get, but I only know of one other hub that gives you the option to upgrade points of engagement for such a low price (and without replacing your entire hub & therefore building a new wheel).

I have 54T on my XC race bike, 36T on my fatbike (for reliability reasons) and 18T on my old hardtail / spare bike.
The difference from 18 to 36 is quite noticeable, but the difference up to 54 from 36 is much less noticeable.

I'd keep an eye out for some 36T take-offs if you're concerned about price.

And if you do run Chinese ratchets, at least it's easy enough to take the hub apart and check on them every month.
You'd also want to make sure you get the right grease if you're going to run Chinese ratchets.
hey man
thanks for your response
i thing the next upgrade will be a original ones not sure if the 36t or the 54t
what do you think about getting a second hand ones?
thanks

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:36 Quote
Depends on how well used they are / what condition they're in.
If they're properly greased, they don't really wear that much.
I think the failure mode is the teeth starting to chip.

Again, I think the ideal is a set of 36T take-offs. I got a set for ~$50 this past summer.

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:40 Quote
vissile wrote:
Depends on how well used they are / what condition they're in.
If they're properly greased, they don't really wear that much.
I think the failure mode is the teeth starting to chip.

Again, I think the ideal is a set of 36T take-offs. I got a set for ~$50 this past summer.
cheers thanks

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 9:41 Quote
vissile wrote:
One of the newer Bontrager hubs has 6 pawl pockets in the freehub body, but only populates 3 of them. They sell an upgrade kit (a bag of 3 more pawls & springs) which allows you to upgrade to 108 POE, I think.

As I posted above - this endless chase for higher POE might come at the cost of suspension performance due to pedal kickback. It's something not discussed very often.

I'm sure pedal kickback is a thing but I've never had an issue with it on my Mojo. But will I feel it much more on something like the Hydra's with 690 POE. I've looked at getting those for my next bike.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 21:22 Quote
This is good advice.

I bought a chinese version 54t upgrade kit assuming it was the same thing, just direct from Asia, as one can find with many other products. They were less than half the price, but I cashed them on their third ride.

vissile wrote:
I wouldn't recommend running Chinese ratchets.

From my understanding, DT was always seemed content with the 36T as the highest tooth count and never even made the 54T until Bontrager (who had licensed the technology) pushed them hard to make one.
There are two reasons why DT doesn't push the 54T.
1 = reliability, 2 = pedal kickback (on full suspension bikes)

So if DT is concerned about reliability on the 54T ratchet, a Chinese 54T would be a bit scary.

And yes, the 54T upgrade is arguably expensive for what you get, but I only know of one other hub that gives you the option to upgrade points of engagement for such a low price (and without replacing your entire hub & therefore building a new wheel).

I have 54T on my XC race bike, 36T on my fatbike (for reliability reasons) and 18T on my old hardtail / spare bike.
The difference from 18 to 36 is quite noticeable, but the difference up to 54 from 36 is much less noticeable.

I'd keep an eye out for some 36T take-offs if you're concerned about price.

And if you do run Chinese ratchets, at least it's easy enough to take the hub apart and check on them every month.
You'd also want to make sure you get the right grease if you're going to run Chinese ratchets.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 23:34 Quote
Ok man thanks for the advise

Previous Page |

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007405
Mobile Version of Website