X01 vs GX cassette and chain?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
X01 vs GX cassette and chain?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Mar 4, 2021 at 18:40 Quote
Sounds like X01 is lighter but also lasts longer, or is that just marketing? I’m more interested in mileage to be honest, riding in wet, dry, hot, cold, dusty but hardly any sand.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 2:26 Quote
I went down the same path wanting to go xo1 cassette, but my LBS's opinion is that they see the gx is more durable. Save some coin for something that matters more .. maybe

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 5:56 Quote
I would stick with the the GX cassette and maybe switch out the chain. I've been using both cassettes on my bikes and they are still going for about the same amount of time but I've had to replace the GX chain twice and have switched over to the XO1 for both bikes.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 7:54 Quote
dieskim wrote:
I went down the same path wanting to go xo1 cassette, but my LBS's opinion is that they see the gx is more durable. Save some coin for something that matters more .. maybe

Good to hear they find one of the cassettes more reliable

natas2125 wrote:
I would stick with the the GX cassette and maybe switch out the chain. I've been using both cassettes on my bikes and they are still going for about the same amount of time but I've had to replace the GX chain twice and have switched over to the XO1 for both bikes.

Sounds like that might be the best option, GX cassette and X01 chain.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 14:50 Quote
I've seen lots of claims that X01 is much more durable than GX cassette (X01 is milled out of steel not stamped cogs riveted together), but it also costs 2-3x more.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 15:50 Quote
What I don't get is the bargain bin £20 pg1130 11 speed chain with solid pins is the same weight 260 grams as a narrower £70 hollow pin chain. Other than some fancy plating what are you actually getting.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
brianl wrote:
I've seen lots of claims that X01 is much more durable than GX cassette (X01 is milled out of steel not stamped cogs riveted together), but it also costs 2-3x more.

Yeah it’s almost double the price, but if it lasts twice as long that’s ok. I’d rather ride than shop/wrench.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 18:03 Quote
brianl wrote:

Yeah I think the XO1 cassette and definitely chain are as cheap or cheaper in the long run with less wrenching.

The X01 cassette also shifts a bit smoother.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 at 23:46 Quote
jeremy3220 wrote:
brianl wrote:

Yeah I think the XO1 cassette and definitely chain are as cheap or cheaper in the long run with less wrenching.

The X01 cassette also shifts a bit smoother.

On the prices like:
NX 80 EUR
GX 180 EUR
X01 300 EUR

It must be so that the quality on X01 has to be exceptionally high to justify the price. Looking at the sprocket profile on different cassettes they all look very identical.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
I was originally considering the X01 with the specs and all I've read. I have the GX on my SJ now and probably won't try the new cassette until I wear this one out.

I DO have the KMC ti gold chain, which supposedly should also prolong the life of the cassette. I assume any drivechain I use I'll be using these KMC chains.
There's one more that has interested me--deciding between GX, X01 & XX1--and I'm curious if anyone else in this discussion has either used, or considered using, the "e*thirteen Helix 9-50" cassette?

~JSV

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 8:47 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
I was originally considering the X01 with the specs and all I've read. I have the GX on my SJ now and probably won't try the new cassette until I wear this one out.

I DO have the KMC ti gold chain, which supposedly should also prolong the life of the cassette. I assume any drivechain I use I'll be using these KMC chains.
There's one more that has interested me--deciding between GX, X01 & XX1--and I'm curious if anyone else in this discussion has either used, or considered using, the "e*thirteen Helix 9-50" cassette?

~JSV

OP here. I tried it and didn’t buy it. 9T isn’t useful here in my area and the shifting quality wasn’t as good as the expensive sram cassettes.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
DHhack wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:

~JSV

OP here. I tried it and didn’t buy it. 9T isn’t useful here in my area and the shifting quality wasn’t as good as the expensive sram cassettes.
Good to know. Shifting quality not as good? THAT is a concern to me. I don't know now if I'd try it if that's an issue. They're supposed to have an even wider range, but I'm not complaining about my GX. The X01 may likely then be my next cassette. Thanks.
~JSV

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 14:39 Quote
I went from my bike's original (11spd) X1 cassette, to e13 TRS 9-44, now have a Garbaruk 10-46.
The e13 has at least 2 seasons on it and still shifts pretty well, except sometimes drops the chain if I backpedal in the large cog.

I'm happy with the Garbaruk so far. Pricewise it's comparable to an X01 but lighter and has more range. Like the X01 it's machined out of steel with aluminum large cog.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 15:45 Quote
brianl wrote:
I went from my bike's original (11spd) X1 cassette, to e13 TRS 9-44, now have a Garbaruk 10-46.
The e13 has at least 2 seasons on it and still shifts pretty well, except sometimes drops the chain if I backpedal in the large cog.

I'm happy with the Garbaruk so far. Pricewise it's comparable to an X01 but lighter and has more range. Like the X01 it's machined out of steel with aluminum large cog.
Huh? There's another report of some issue with an e13 cassette. When I went from the GX eagle's 30t chainring to an absoluteblack 32t I have no issues, the whole system including KMC Ti chain is still pretty new.

I don't keep my clutch very tight either. Doe that have anything to do with all this drivechain performance we're discussing? I think I'm safer to get the X01 (1295) when it's time to change.

~JSV

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 at 17:28 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
brianl wrote:

Huh? There's another report of some issue with an e13 cassette. When I went from the GX eagle's 30t chainring to an absoluteblack 32t I have no issues, the whole system including KMC Ti chain is still pretty new.

I don't keep my clutch very tight either. Doe that have anything to do with all this drivechain performance we're discussing? I think I'm safer to get the X01 (1295) when it's time to change.

~JSV

To be fair my Deore 12 speed has done that from day 1, along with shifting that’s significantly worse than any other 12 speed stuff I’ve ridden. It will end up on my backup bike once I buy everything to replace it.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013298
Mobile Version of Website