Smashpot released for ZEB and 38

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Smashpot released for ZEB and 38
Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 3:09 Quote
Anyone happen to have Smashpot on their Bullit or other ebike and Fox 38? I love coil and looking for that butter ride plush pillow control.

Also, the ebikes are about 20lbs heavier than your average Joe. Vorsprung recommends adding another 5lbs to the normal spring rate. Hopefully that's right as I dont want to keep buying $prings.

Posted: Jul 27, 2021 at 3:12 Quote
Lewis92 wrote:
What travel is your fork? A shorter travel fork will require a firmer spring than a longer travel one.

170mm

O+
Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 9:05 Quote
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
Just installed mine into a zeb chasis yesterday.

The weight feels negligible.

I am running ow-30 oil .

I actually like that the solution to the bigger tube is the PVC liner. If I ever want to put the airspring back it should seal no problem. EG to sell it and put the coil in somthing else.

Install was painless with minimum fuss.

Hi Just checking in...how are you liking this combo?

Posted: Oct 12, 2021 at 13:17 Quote
For my riding and where I ride mostly. I love this set up.

I just switched things around with a gen 1 11-6
And my zeb ultimate+smashpot on a transition spire. This is a pretty amazing set up for a dh bike I can pedal up hill.

Looking forward to having it at bootleg all winter.

Posted: Nov 18, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
Looking at picking one of these up for my 38. When reading the install manual, it calls for torquing the seal head with a 14mm cone wrench. Trying to make sure I have all the tools, but I can not find anything that will adapt my torque wrench to accept a narrow cone wrench as is on the seal head, and it doesnt appear a standard crows foot would fit on the seal head based on photos. May I ask how some of your that have installed this thing torqued that down to the recommended spec. Per the install instructions, vorsprung looks like they have this odd attachment on their torque wrench that I have never seen.

Posted: Nov 19, 2021 at 3:54 Quote
JordanSmith127 wrote:
Looking at picking one of these up for my 38. When reading the install manual, it calls for torquing the seal head with a 14mm cone wrench. Trying to make sure I have all the tools, but I can not find anything that will adapt my torque wrench to accept a narrow cone wrench as is on the seal head, and it doesnt appear a standard crows foot would fit on the seal head based on photos. May I ask how some of your that have installed this thing torqued that down to the recommended spec. Per the install instructions, vorsprung looks like they have this odd attachment on their torque wrench that I have never seen.

Yea it's pretty much impossible to torque to spec unless you buy the specific park tool torque wrench and cone wrench adapters, which means spending a lot more money... I properly bodged mine so won't tell how I did it as you could easily damage it and won't be torqued to spec. But I will say that I managed to find away to at least tighten it together and just went off feel and have had no issues since.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 2:45 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
JordanSmith127 wrote:

Yea it's pretty much impossible to torque to spec unless you buy the specific park tool torque wrench and cone wrench adapters, which means spending a lot more money... I properly bodged mine so won't tell how I did it as you could easily damage it and won't be torqued to spec. But I will say that I managed to find away to at least tighten it together and just went off feel and have had no issues since.

Is this the spanner to torque wrench adapter? I've never heard of such a thing and don't want to spend $ on a tool for one time use.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 3:22 Quote
No, it's these things specifically designed to fit their torque wrench...

https://www.google.com/search?q=park+tool+crow+foot&oq=park+tool+crow+foot&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i22i30j0i10i22i30.19247j0j7&client=ms-android-ee-uk-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Thing is you can assemble it yourself, bodge it like I did and don't torque to spec for cheap or you can buy the tools for the same price as sending the fork in to a tuner who will rebuild and service the fork. Like me you bought a new fork so sending it in for the conversion didn't seem worth it... and though the tools I just linked aren't too expensive, the torque wrench is. I don't recommend doing it the way I did it to anyway, but it worked nevertheless, but if you are going to be stripping the fork every now and then, swapping out coils to find the one you want and changing the bottom out shim stack, you really don't want to be doing that without the right tools every time, I learnt the hard way, it's a proper faff and you risk scratching stuff even if only cosmetic it's annoying and the bit to grip with the wrench is super narrow and shallow and can easily be damaged. I would say the proper way if you don't have a torque wrench is at minimum buy a couple of cone wrenches of the correct size...I was doing all kinds of stupid stuff as I had no patience so was packing wood in the grooves and clamping with mole grips and all sorts of stupid stuff just to get a grip on it and tighten it, achieving a couple nice scratches in the process.

If you want to torque it properly buy the proper tools, if you aren't bothered about torquing to spec and are good at knowing when tight is tight enough just buy some cheap cone wrenches at the bare minimum.

Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 6:51 Quote
holytrails wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:
JordanSmith127 wrote:

Is this the spanner to torque wrench adapter? I've never heard of such a thing and don't want to spend $ on a tool for one time use.

I emailed Vorsprung and was sent a link to the tool they use. Its a pretty cool adapter but was out of stock, appeared discontinued to me and is made by a bike mechanic institute/school. The only other thing remotely similar I could find looked like it wouldn't fit a cone wrench because of the wider handle, it was advertised for standard spanner/crescent style wrenches.

What he told me, a 3/8 drive torque wrench actually will fit in the cutout of a park tool spanner and will work perfectly. I only have 1/4 and 1/2 torque wrenches so threw a 3/8 adapter on, and sure enough it works.

Hope that helps

Posted: Jan 24, 2022 at 13:34 Quote
JordanSmith127 wrote:
holytrails wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

I emailed Vorsprung and was sent a link to the tool they use. Its a pretty cool adapter but was out of stock, appeared discontinued to me and is made by a bike mechanic institute/school. The only other thing remotely similar I could find looked like it wouldn't fit a cone wrench because of the wider handle, it was advertised for standard spanner/crescent style wrenches.

What he told me, a 3/8 drive torque wrench actually will fit in the cutout of a park tool spanner and will work perfectly. I only have 1/4 and 1/2 torque wrenches so threw a 3/8 adapter on, and sure enough it works.

Hope that helps

Thanks Jordan. Could you by chance post a pic of the spanner and torque wrench combo you used? Im not sure how this works

O+
Posted: Jan 28, 2022 at 10:03 Quote
holytrails wrote:
JordanSmith127 wrote:
holytrails wrote:

Hope that helps

Thanks Jordan. Could you by chance post a pic of the spanner and torque wrench combo you used? Im not sure how this works

Hah! This works and just goes to show how much of a gem Steve truly is.

How to fit a Park cone wrench on a 3 8 torque wrench.

Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 16:02 Quote
Yes that is the official proper way to do it...however even that technically isn't a perfect solution as the torque will change due to the leverage of the adapter so what it says on the torque wrench will be less than what you are actually tightening to...whether Steve took that into account with his torque specifications I don't know...but either way I did it manually without a torque wrench and all has been fine...as long as you use a bit of common sense and are familiar with tightening things by hand I don't think a torque wrench is a necessity.

O+
Posted: Jan 29, 2022 at 16:28 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Yes that is the official proper way to do it...however even that technically isn't a perfect solution as the torque will change due to the leverage of the adapter so what it says on the torque wrench will be less than what you are actually tightening to...whether Steve took that into account with his torque specifications I don't know...but either way I did it manually without a torque wrench and all has been fine...as long as you use a bit of common sense and are familiar with tightening things by hand I don't think a torque wrench is a necessity.

It doesn't change the torque applied if the two wrenches are at 90 degrees from each other. https://www.tekton.com/how-to-accurately-use-a-torque-wrench-with-a-crowfoot-wrench

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 7:35 Quote
Been thinking about Smashpoted 23' Zeb. As I am having the 2nd CSU creak on my DVO Onyx. I was thinking the Zeb's CSU is massive and it should not be an issue anymore. Did anybody weight the Zeb with Smashpot?

Posted: Aug 28, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
Simpancz wrote:
Been thinking about Smashpoted 23' Zeb. As I am having the 2nd CSU creak on my DVO Onyx. I was thinking the Zeb's CSU is massive and it should not be an issue anymore. Did anybody weight the Zeb with Smashpot?

Not weighed it but it probably weighs at least as much as a pair of Boxxers...I'd say around 2.6kg at least if not more depending on spring rate..mine also has much better damper from FAST which add extra weight too and is custom painted so I'd say mine weighs at least 2.7kg

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 1.176021
Mobile Version of Website