Another builder poaching my line?!

PB Forum :: Trail Building
Another builder poaching my line?!
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Mar 7, 2021 at 19:32 Quote
So I build mtb and trials moto trails around Squamish. A trail I recently completed was a trials specific climb trail. It is gnarly; steep and long slabs, punchy rock faces, and techy tight corners.

The trail has plenty of short and sharp climbs and descents. It would be a nightmare on a mtb, and flow-less. The trail has been semi-public for about 6 months.

I was shocked to find that someone has built jumps at the top of rock slabs. While it would be impressive to see someone launch at the top of a steep 25ft slab, it kind of bothered me that someone changed the original character of the trail and it affects another user group. I'm guessing these jumps are only for an Instagram hero, and will never be ridden again. (Mostly cause I'm going to tear them out)

I've been in the craft long enough to know that trails evolve. I've seen my trails morph: lines straighten, widen, and people make ride-arounds to the scary bits. Fair enough. But this alteration made me question... Should you contact the original builder before significantly changing a trail? What is the ethic to make these changes? How would other builders feel when their shit gets poached?

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 0:31 Quote
You are assuming it was just one person, maybe it was a group who thought they were actually improving it. I wouldn't change another's trail, but it seems that in whomever takes the initiative determines what happens. Maybe leave a note for them and explain your vision for the trail and why you doubt like what they did?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.027681
Mobile Version of Website