Moving vs Total time

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Moving vs Total time
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
Hoping for some feedback...

Currently use TF, GPSkit & have also tried Strava apps to record rides on the iphone. I find that only Strava will export factual differences in total vs moving time whereas the other two apps generally default to the same time (or within a few seconds of each other.). Are there settings I can tweak to address this? The longer the ride (with more stops) becomes increasingly more inaccurate with respect to moving time & avg moving speed.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 8, 2021 at 16:43 Quote
I'm not much of a ride tracker, so I don't have a clever and convenient solution. My solution is to edit the raw data to remove rows with zero speed.

Posted: Mar 9, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
surlyinbred wrote:
Hoping for some feedback...

Currently use TF, GPSkit & have also tried Strava apps to record rides on the iphone. I find that only Strava will export factual differences in total vs moving time whereas the other two apps generally default to the same time (or within a few seconds of each other.). Are there settings I can tweak to address this? The longer the ride (with more stops) becomes increasingly more inaccurate with respect to moving time & avg moving speed.

Thanks

I don't know of any TF tweak or setting that will assist your phone in translation of motion vs non-motion. I find recording a ride on my iphone to be problematic for various reasons (battery killer too - not good for multi-hour rides) and so I avoid it when possible. I've had the best success recording on my Garmin watch and before the watch when I used a Garmin GPS bike computer. Both devices have an auto pause feature which stop recording under a prescribed speed. I don't use the auto pause feature and I still get pretty accurate Total vs Moving time results. I record on my watch which syncs to Garmin Connect. Garmin Connect then turn mirrors to Strava and TrailForks. So you'd think they'd all match, but they don't.
Even with my watch being the only thing recording the activity when that activity posts to the different sites it will still show up with different Total vs Moving times. I think this has to do with the various methods that the sites are programed to figure out what it considers motion vs static periods.
EXAMPLE: on a single ride in February I got 3 different time results from each site as follows:
Garmin Connect: 2:49:57 & 2:36:35
Strava: 2:49:58 & 2:39:55
TrailForks: 2:48:23 & 2:30:39

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.004881
Mobile Version of Website