Favorite tire combos

Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 15:05 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Yea the MM does everything pretty good but isn't the best at any one thing....it's good tyre if you keep it the whole year and do stuff ranging from XC to bikepark you're right. Jack of all trades, master of none really is the Mary in my opinion, definitely think the DHF has better grip on hardpack though without a doubt.
I have to agree I tried a Mary at the start of winter and it’s just meh it clogs up way easier than a shorty and then isn’t particularly great in the summer. I think really your best of buying a shorty for winter and then swapping something like a assegai or dhf over for summer which will cost more but not really in the long run and you have way better grip.

O+
Posted: Mar 28, 2021 at 15:42 Quote
I have a couple winter months (maybe 10 rides) on the WTB Trail Boss/Vigilante comb on in 2.4/2.5 and it's the best all around combo I've ever used, and I've tried a fair number. The trail boss in particular is impressive in the rear with good climbing grip in the loose but pretty fast rolling. The Vigilante also clears mud well. Not as well as Shorty but only clogs in the stickiest conditions, and is not terrifying on hardpack greasy berms like the Shorty.

Not enough time to speak to durability. I am using the high grip front and fast rolling rear in normal casings as the tough casing rear wasn't in stock. I do think it will not be a super high mileage combo as the Vig front is already showing more wear than Minions with the same mileage, but that's to be expected with a soft compound. If it wasn't so wet here I might try fast rolling compound on both ends.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 11:56 Quote
So found a leak right inside the edge of the rim, took 2 stan's darts to get it to hold pressure. STILL leaking a tiny bit overnight but I wouldn't trust it in the woods.

The only thing I could get locally was a minion DHR 2--which I was thinking of getting anyway--but in 2.6, and I kind of really wanted to got 2.4 on the rear. It's replacing a Specialized Purgatory which I actually am surprised was much nicer than I thought it would be.

I just hope I wasn't too hasty but I want to ride soon, the "leak" screwed up my riding plans for today. Maybe I just should've waited or is that little difference not too big a deal.

Any of you riding the DHR2 I assume commonly also like the DHF on the front? My other possible option was the Maxxis Dissector Wide Trail.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
So found a leak right inside the edge of the rim, took 2 stan's darts to get it to hold pressure. STILL leaking a tiny bit overnight but I wouldn't trust it in the woods.

The only thing I could get locally was a minion DHR 2--which I was thinking of getting anyway--but in 2.6, and I kind of really wanted to got 2.4 on the rear. It's replacing a Specialized Purgatory which I actually am surprised was much nicer than I thought it would be.

I just hope I wasn't too hasty but I want to ride soon, the "leak" screwed up my riding plans for today. Maybe I just should've waited or is that little difference not too big a deal.

Any of you riding the DHR2 I assume commonly also like the DHF on the front? My other possible option was the Maxxis Dissector Wide Trail.

~JSV
I have a minion dhr2 in 2.6 max terra and it’s very comfortable on my hardtail compared to a 2.4. The braking is in my thoughts the best you can get and way better than a spiked tyre like a shorty or Mary. Overall I’d give it a 9/10 on a hardtail but probably a 7/10 on a full suspension.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 13:31 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:

~JSV
Ouch, sorry to hear about that.

There are fans of putting DHR2's on the front, and it goes all the way to a number of World Cup DH races being won that way. What kind of riding do you do? The DHR2 was one of my top choice tires when I recently went to buy tires and did a bunch of reading. The only drawback I found (other than not being a big roller) was that the tread pattern design is susceptible to a side slide under some slippery conditions. I do a lot of trail and AM riding (weather, roots, rocks, fast and slow) and I've experienced such events a bit more with some tires than others... enough so I ended up choosing another tire. If you're more focused on enduro/DH the DHR2 will be great, the high driving forward momentum in that riding mitigates these issues, and I'd be happy with a F/R combo. The Dissector looks like a good option for wide wheels. And I really like what it offers (it's less DH oriented and better suited to my riding) and it can be run F/R for added bonus as well.

Hope that helps. Let us know where you end up and what you think. Cheers.

Posted: Apr 9, 2021 at 17:02 Quote
Specialized eliminator grid 27.5x2.3 on my marin rift zone 27.5 v2

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 11:50 Quote
@ kwtoxman
Yes very helpful. Appreciate the advice, and I feel like I'll be ok for now staying w/a 2.6 on the rear. I see what you say about the tread. I'm looking at it now and when I was first checking it out I was actually thinking it WOULD also be a good front, but I didn't know if I was looking at the right thing.

You mention the Dissector too, that was actually the other tire on my list lol.
I'm riding mostly trail AM sort-of (SJ carbon expert 29 150f/140r), but I like getting into the gNarLy sh*t once in a while (I have fun in the rocks and root stuff) . Plan on doing a bit heavier riding this season. I don't get into wet weather often, but when there IS MUD I'm usually the first in the group to go all in!

Listening to you and @Ooofff about this I think I'm good w/DHR2, and I think I'll be ok without going down to 2.4 for now, just felt like I had no option and at least I got a good tire. I WOULD'VE been ok w/Purgatory for the rest of this season but honestly I was looking for a bit more grip on the edge.

Thanks again guys!

~JSV

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
Loving Assegai Exo 3C maxxterra front, DHR2 3C maxxterra DD rear at the moment. The Assegai is amazing on a 35mm rim, I can run surprisingly low pressures despite the thin sidewalls. I'm only 70kg though. The DHR2 is a great rear, not too slow and plenty of climbing/braking grip.

Previous setup was supergravity MM both wheels, ultrasoft front, soft rear. Slowest combo ever, but very reliable grip in the worst of conditions.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
I think I would have no concerns staying w/a 2.6 on the rear if I had wider rims. I just thought with 30mm I might be better off going to a 2.4 on the back. Still ok with 2.6 front though.

~JSV

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 11:46 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
I think I would have no concerns staying w/a 2.6 on the rear if I had wider rims. I just thought with 30mm I might be better off going to a 2.4 on the back. Still ok with 2.6 front though.

~JSV
my 2.6 dhr 2 is on a 30mm xm481 rim and doesn’t come up very rounded at all I would say it’s quite a good balance.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
@ kwtoxman
Yes very helpful. Appreciate the advice, and I feel like I'll be ok for now staying w/a 2.6 on the rear. I see what you say about the tread. I'm looking at it now and when I was first checking it out I was actually thinking it WOULD also be a good front, but I didn't know if I was looking at the right thing.

You mention the Dissector too, that was actually the other tire on my list lol.
I'm riding mostly trail AM sort-of (SJ carbon expert 29 150f/140r), but I like getting into the gNarLy sh*t once in a while (I have fun in the rocks and root stuff) . Plan on doing a bit heavier riding this season. I don't get into wet weather often, but when there IS MUD I'm usually the first in the group to go all in!

Listening to you and @Ooofff about this I think I'm good w/DHR2, and I think I'll be ok without going down to 2.4 for now, just felt like I had no option and at least I got a good tire. I WOULD'VE been ok w/Purgatory for the rest of this season but honestly I was looking for a bit more grip on the edge.

Thanks again guys!

~JSV

Happy to help JSV and hope it all works out great. Ya, the center area DHR2 treads being parallel with side slide motions, and having a small leading tread edge surface area in that movement, it stands out when you see it and think about it. OTOH, the leading tread edge surface area of the DHR2 in forward motion and braking is extremely impressive, giving lots of grip. To me, the DHR2 tread pattern channels a paddle tread vibe...

Down the line when you switch up tires again I think you can go with more of a roller option and be very happy.

There's lots of love out there for many of the new Maxxis MTB tire offerings. Unfortunately, most aren't available in my wheel size. Thankfully, there are a number of other great tire options available out there still. I'm really digging some new Continental's so far. Excellent combo of grip and a reasonable roller... with no front-end slide shenanigans so far that I suffered with some Maxxis tires. Cheers.

O+ FL
Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 18:23 Quote
Ooofff wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:

~JSV
my 2.6 dhr 2 is on a 30mm xm481 rim and doesn’t come up very rounded at all I would say it’s quite a good balance.

'Rounded' tread surface is just a piece of why one should avoid narrower rims with wider tires. There is also the level of support the sidewalls give with wider rims.
Typically a tire wider than 2.4 can benefit greatly from 35mm iw (or wider) rims because of the increase in sidewall support you gain from the sidewalls being able to run more vertically.

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 19:23 Quote
gnarnaimo wrote:
Ooofff wrote:
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:

~JSV

'Rounded' tread surface is just a piece of why one should avoid narrower rims with wider tires. There is also the level of support the sidewalls give with wider rims.
Typically a tire wider than 2.4 can benefit greatly from 35mm iw (or wider) rims because of the increase in sidewall support you gain from the sidewalls being able to run more vertically.
You know that's interesting and really good info. THIS is why I feel that on the 29rs (and mine particularly with 30mm rims) I notice that the tires seem to WANT to run a lower psi, but there's a real narrow window when with the 30mm rims I don't want to get TOO SOFT and start loosing stability.

In other words: I definitely feel the grip/traction getting better from the tire when psi is a bit lower, but notice the RIM wants to start pushing past the tires center. SO... I instinctively like to run the PSI a little higher, and then the bike feels more stable. I'm a "firm" setting rider anyway, I tend to like a tiny bit higher psi in my tires, I like a firmer shock and fork w/less sag than most riders, and I'm not heavy, I just tend to like the way that 'feels' especially on my SJ expert w/29's. I can tolerate a bit less psi I notice when riding my 27.5 HT,

I'll probably always have no issues with the 2.6 on the front even WITH the 30mm Roval carbon rims, but I AM considering going to a 2.4 on the rear next tire change.
(I can always keep that Purgatory back tire and run a tube in it if I wanted--no wasted tire there) Is there a way to safely PATCH that from the inside to run it tubeless again??

I really appreciate all this insight on tires from everyone. Thanks!

~JSV

Posted: Apr 16, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
Amazing how important matching tyre size to rim width is. I switched from a 23mm inner front to a 35mm one. The Magic Mary 2.35 was great on the narrower rim, but squared off too much on the new, wide one. The result was that after a certain lean angle the front became twitchy and tended to fold. It almost always recovered on it's own, but this didn't use to happen on the narrow rim. I never had the chance to try it on a 27-30mm inmer, but I guess it would have been the sweet spot for this size.

On the other hand, my current Assegai 2.5 suits the 35mm inner perfectly. I can lean as much as the corner and my mediocre skills allow and I never run out of sideknobs. It also lets me get away with low pressure despite the flimsy EXO sidewall, which, coming from SG MM was a real surprise.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 9:07 Quote
Which one is that, the DHR2? That's the new rear tire I got. About to take my first ride w/that. This thing ALSO feels like it may not be an issue if I run a couple/few PSI higher. I don't know why--maybe feel--but I tend to run just a few more PSI than most. I kind of don't like anything more than 25% sag either. Maybe that firmer feel allows me to be a bit more aggressive when riding. Always been that way.

~JSV

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.017719
Mobile Version of Website