2021 patrol date???

PB Forum :: Transition
2021 patrol date???
Author Message
Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
Eeek dont say this...

Surely they tested with variations of shocks but im inclined to say that the 2022 Fox X2 might be sh*t year for issues.

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 8:27 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
Rode on 450 and 500, happy with 500. Still playing with it to get the front and rear playing nice

Not touched the HBO yet, it seems fine for 4-5 foot worth of drops

Big thing Ive noticed is the fact it sits higher up in the travel than the X2, I mentioned that the X2 sits well into its travel in my opinion. Ive not had any pedal strikes while on the RS coil and I am enjoying the obviously steeper head angle when riding as a result.

Seriously happy with it.

So, apologies Transition for bitching about the frame when it was in fact that shitty X2.

Fox is not the company they used to be. We are unfortunately stuck with them for a while. We have a DHX on a brand new bike making an awful noise that we sent to them. They evaluated it and said "it's normal". Generally speaking moving to a RS or Cane Creek shock immediately will make a lot of bikes better. ;

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 11:21 Quote
I may be the lone wolf here but damn I love my DVO Onyx fork and Topaz rear shock. No noise at all from either end and excellent performance

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 17:06 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
Rode on 450 and 500, happy with 500. Still playing with it to get the front and rear playing nice

Not touched the HBO yet, it seems fine for 4-5 foot worth of drops

Big thing Ive noticed is the fact it sits higher up in the travel than the X2, I mentioned that the X2 sits well into its travel in my opinion. Ive not had any pedal strikes while on the RS coil and I am enjoying the obviously steeper head angle when riding as a result.

Seriously happy with it.

So, apologies Transition for bitching about the frame when it was in fact that shitty X2.

Excellent write up. What are you running for lsc and hsc? What’s your sag with the 450 and 500 springs?

Thanks for the info!

Posted: Jul 8, 2022 at 22:47 Quote
I'll be the odd one out an say that I'm loving the x2 and 38 combo. Admittedly I moved from the previous patrol with fox both ends.

The x2 feels bottomless and the 38 has the small bump sensitivity that I couldn't match on the 36 even with a smashpot

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 1:30 Quote
Im at 25-30% ish with the 500 spring. It felt less supple off the top and noticeably slacker with the 450, assume at 450 it was sunk past the sag point, past its best bit basically

Its not that I dont like the X2, just find on my Levo and Patrol it sinks deep into its travel (with and without spacers) and the Patrol's X2 turned out to be nosy as hell

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 7:16 Quote
evilbert222 wrote:
I'll be the odd one out an say that I'm loving the x2 and 38 combo. Admittedly I moved from the previous patrol with fox both ends.

The x2 feels bottomless and the 38 has the small bump sensitivity that I couldn't match on the 36 even with a smashpot

I was scared of the X2 that came on my Sentinel frameset so I sold it before running it. Luckily the new owner has had zero issues with it. Also have a buddy running a new kashima 38 and it feels buttery smooth. I think when Fox stuff is good, its really good!

Posted: Jul 9, 2022 at 10:01 Quote
Most of the problems with modern suspension come down to quality control. Any of it works well when it works. Fox has just had particularly bad QC recently.

Posted: Jul 27, 2022 at 22:17 Quote
My New Patrol front en rear 27.5inches Big Grin (But I 'll try mullet soon)

Patrol 2022 large size

Patrol 2022 large size

Patrol 2022 large size

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 6:10 Quote
Just posted this on the SC forum but figured i'd copy it here to see if it resonated with anyone else. Maybe I'm being dense, could well be that:

"I got a transition patrol GX build last year. I really enjoy the mullet aspect and I have put down my fastest times on some of my favourite trails. However I am not convinced I really get on with it.

I don't know suspension set up well enough to describe in technical terms what I mean here, but I find the rear end really firm and not very responsive. It's like I don't know what it's doing when I'm descending. When I get to the bottom of a trail I can see via the o-ring that I have used the right amount of travel but I don't feel I get that satisfying feeling of sinking into the travel on a big impact and it almost always feels too harsh despite me setting the shock up to recommended settings and playing around further. I really feel braking bumps or repeated big hits - I figure this is the desired outcome of their suspension platform but I don't think it's necessarily for me.

I had a go on a Bronson a while back and seem to remember it feeling responsive and supple. However I didn't feel the urge to swap because I do like the slacker head angle of the Patrol. Now that the Nomad is here with a similar head angle and a longer wheelbase I am wondering if this could be a good option for me. I'll try and demo one but am interested to know if anyone understands where I'm coming from and whether this swap could make sense? Bonus being that I could do a straight swap of parts - I'd just have to increase the Zeb's travel by 10mm"

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 6:18 Quote
I’ve definitely found it a little difficult to get the rear end of mine to be as responsive as I want it, I’ve put 2000km on mine and I’ve finally got it to feel how I like (it doesn’t help that I like tweaking things for the sake of it). Maybe you just need to play around more with your settings.
Having said that, the SC suspension is a completely different layout and if you enjoyed the Bronson it wouldn’t hurt to demo the new Nomad. It certainly looks nice Smile

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 6:26 Quote
Is your rebound fast enough? If it’s slow and packing down it will feel harsh and use too much travel

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 7:00 Quote
I definitely had the same feeling initially. I ended up adding max spacers. This allowed me to run a little less pressure and keep it soft at the top but not run through the travel. More recently, I removed the spacer from the shock spacer to bump travel to 170mm and that has helped as well.

sorryiamtheboss wrote:
Just posted this on the SC forum but figured i'd copy it here to see if it resonated with anyone else. Maybe I'm being dense, could well be that:

"I got a transition patrol GX build last year. I really enjoy the mullet aspect and I have put down my fastest times on some of my favourite trails. However I am not convinced I really get on with it.

I don't know suspension set up well enough to describe in technical terms what I mean here, but I find the rear end really firm and not very responsive. It's like I don't know what it's doing when I'm descending. When I get to the bottom of a trail I can see via the o-ring that I have used the right amount of travel but I don't feel I get that satisfying feeling of sinking into the travel on a big impact and it almost always feels too harsh despite me setting the shock up to recommended settings and playing around further. I really feel braking bumps or repeated big hits - I figure this is the desired outcome of their suspension platform but I don't think it's necessarily for me.

I had a go on a Bronson a while back and seem to remember it feeling responsive and supple. However I didn't feel the urge to swap because I do like the slacker head angle of the Patrol. Now that the Nomad is here with a similar head angle and a longer wheelbase I am wondering if this could be a good option for me. I'll try and demo one but am interested to know if anyone understands where I'm coming from and whether this swap could make sense? Bonus being that I could do a straight swap of parts - I'd just have to increase the Zeb's travel by 10mm"

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 8:08 Quote
I felt like that with my X2 when it was at 160mm, removing the travel spacer to 170mm made it feel a lot better. Genuinely felt like the shock was being restricted or something

Putting the new RS Coil on it has changed that completely and now in love with the bike.

Posted: Aug 2, 2022 at 8:15 Quote
evilbert222 wrote:
Is your rebound fast enough? If it’s slow and packing down it will feel harsh and use too much travel

I did speed it up but I felt myself being thrown forward too much when it got steep and rough, I tried to add fork compression to counter it but couldn't get it feeling right.

I am thinking about adding spacers and lowering pressure or trying a coil


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008721
Mobile Version of Website