close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Author Message
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 1:38 Quote
I had my first ride on the Franken-Murmur 120/140 last night (thoughts / ramblings as below)

Geo - seemed ok - twitchier with the 30mm stem and steeper HT but not stupid. I centre my grips throught the steering CL therefore is probably the HA rather than stem. It seems to "turn" more than "lean". Climbing was good (steeper STA). BB height - only had a few minor pedal strikes (user error) so not a deal breaker.

Suspension - The Pikes are nowhere near as good as the Ohlins in terms of grip - I may need to change bars to get a little more front wheel weight to make up for the lack of grip. Ditto on the rear with the Debonair v Ohlins air can. I have changed tyres / wheels so some of that maybe down to the change. I need to change back to the 2.3 Vigis and 511s to see how it feels with them.

Long term - 140/140 is probably the go. Maybe an angle set to slacken out to get the same WB as 160/140 therefore matching the F/R weight balance of 160/140 which I liked.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 3:46 Quote
Very interested to see how the Murmur fares in the up coming Feild Test. At least it's speced with a decent set of bouncers.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 23:04 Quote
anyone find the murmur chainstay length to be a bit daunting in the smaller sizes? i’m really interested in this bike but i rode a size large banshee titan for a little while and the thing was just so unbelievably cumbersome with the 452 stays that it has me nervous about anything over 440 these days . i’m riding a 2021 pivot mach 6 right now in a size medium so not opposed to going with the swoop if it means keeping the chainstays more reasonable. the wheelbase on the larger sizes has me wondering if i should just go the custom geo route.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 23:33 Quote
I'm on an XL so the chainstays are well proportioned to the front. I would however love to have a sliding dropout so I could experiment with CS length.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 5:53 Quote
frigofff wrote:
anyone find the murmur chainstay length to be a bit daunting in the smaller sizes? i’m really interested in this bike but i rode a size large banshee titan for a little while and the thing was just so unbelievably cumbersome with the 452 stays that it has me nervous about anything over 440 these days . i’m riding a 2021 pivot mach 6 right now in a size medium so not opposed to going with the swoop if it means keeping the chainstays more reasonable. the wheelbase on the larger sizes has me wondering if i should just go the custom geo route.

I ride a medium Murmur. I'm 170cm for reference. My previous bike was a V4 Nomad, which had much shorter chain stays. The Murmur definitely took some time to adjust to, but I would now say cornering is one of its absolute strong points. I ride steep, techy trails with lots of tight corners and the bike always feels really well balanced to me

Personally, I think it will be fine, but depends somewhat on your preference and terrain.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 8:57 Quote
I can't speak to how the chainstays on the murmur feel but they were one of the major reasons I went with the swoop

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
i ride a lot of steep tighter stuff with some full out fast sections too. i love the chainstays on my current 29er (436) so the swoop is a little more appealing geo-wise, but i’d like to go with a 29er if i can.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 0:00 Quote
Have any of you had success mounting a small pump to your frame? I prefer not to use and carry CO2 and am trying to move less stuff off my body

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 1:08 Quote
ssantana wrote:
Have any of you had success mounting a small pump to your frame? I prefer not to use and carry CO2 and am trying to move less stuff off my body

I stash a CO2 in the tube on the chainstays - I've put two rubber bands (cut up tube) around to keep in place. Otherwise my pump is in my hip pack.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 6:17 Quote
Write up on the Murmur was maybe slightly better than I expected. Mostly positive. Stating the obvious. Maybe shouldn’t have had the smallest person on the test roster do the actual write up. But hopefully Starling got a little more recognition.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 6:51 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Maybe shouldn’t have had the smallest person on the test roster do the actual write up.

Alicia is 5'10" and only 1" shorter than Kaz. She just got stuck in between sizes. I think their review was quite positive and fair overall. All the points they make were valid. The murmur is the most enduro out of all of those other bikes which made their findings even more positive imo

I will say I wish they switched up the cockpit instead of knocking it like they did for other reviews.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 7:29 Quote
ssantana wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Maybe shouldn’t have had the smallest person on the test roster do the actual write up.

Alicia is 5'10" and only 1" shorter than Kaz. She just got stuck in between sizes. I think their review was quite positive and fair overall. All the points they make were valid. The murmur is the most enduro out of all of those other bikes which made their findings even more positive imo

I will say I wish they switched up the cockpit instead of knocking it like they did for other reviews.


Agreed...good point. I imagine that arm length/leg length and overall height play a part, I know guys my height that have longer torsos and shorter arms legs than I have and we fit bikes differently

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 7:52 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
ssantana wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
Maybe shouldn’t have had the smallest person on the test roster do the actual write up.

Alicia is 5'10" and only 1" shorter than Kaz. She just got stuck in between sizes. I think their review was quite positive and fair overall. All the points they make were valid. The murmur is the most enduro out of all of those other bikes which made their findings even more positive imo

I will say I wish they switched up the cockpit instead of knocking it like they did for other reviews.


Agreed...good point. I imagine that arm length/leg length and overall height play a part, I know guys my height that have longer torsos and shorter arms legs than I have and we fit bikes differently

Yep, there is definitely more to determining bike sizing than just height. Luckily I am firmly in most medium ranges for mtb (5'8 - 5'9") but I am always in between sizes on road and gravel bikes which makes fits frustrating to say the least.

I think Alicia is also more biased towards bikes that are all around performers both up and down with shorter wheelbases. I wonder how they would have felt if they downsized the fork to 140.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 11:38 Quote
And it was only tested with a 150mm air fork. 160 coil is proper enduro.

Sizing is a funny thing. I'm on an XL at 515 reach and 6'1" and it fits me fine.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 11:39 Quote
ssantana wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
ssantana wrote:


Alicia is 5'10" and only 1" shorter than Kaz. She just got stuck in between sizes. I think their review was quite positive and fair overall. All the points they make were valid. The murmur is the most enduro out of all of those other bikes which made their findings even more positive imo

I will say I wish they switched up the cockpit instead of knocking it like they did for other reviews.


Agreed...good point. I imagine that arm length/leg length and overall height play a part, I know guys my height that have longer torsos and shorter arms legs than I have and we fit bikes differently

Yep, there is definitely more to determining bike sizing than just height. Luckily I am firmly in most medium ranges for mtb (5'8 - 5'9") but I am always in between sizes on road and gravel bikes which makes fits frustrating to say the least.

I think Alicia is also more biased towards bikes that are all around performers both up and down with shorter wheelbases. I wonder how they would have felt if they downsized the fork to 140.

140/140 air each end.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006942
Mobile Version of Website