Post your Starling

PB Forum :: Other
Post your Starling
Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:07 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
I'm having dark thoughts....I am thinking about selling my Murmur.

Someone please get this man some counseling

lol

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
sterlingmagnum wrote:
militantmandy wrote:

lol

I must be ill!

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:30 Quote
militantmandy wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:
militantmandy wrote:

lol

I must be ill!

You must have covid as you've clearly lost your sense of taste...

Seriously tho why?

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
militantmandy wrote:
sterlingmagnum wrote:

lol

I must be ill!

You must have covid as you've clearly lost your sense of taste...

Seriously tho why?

Well, I bought a Privateer 161. I changed the Murmur to 140mm fork / fast tyres etc to try and make it a bit more trail in order to put some distance between the two bikes. However, since getting the Privateer, I've just not touched the Murmur and I'm sort of struggling to think when I would use it. Where I live, there aren't really any flatter, more mellow trails, it's grind up a fire road and then steep down. That's why I wanted a bigger travel, more supple bike. I am sort of thinking about....an e-bike. My GF and I split a Decoy which I've been loving, but it's a bit small for me really.

Dunno really. The Murmur has a strong sentimental value to me, but it's a bit of a waste of 5 grand if I never use it.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:11 Quote
There's only one bike on my list that would replace my Murmur and that's a Nicolai G1. Luckily I don't have the coin for it.

Have you run the Murmur with a 160mm fork?

Maybe it's the new bike thing and it will wear off.... maybe not....

I do go for weeks only riding either the Murmur or the Krampus while the other sits in the shed. Altho they're two very different bike I can ride the same trails on both.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 8:29 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
There's only one bike on my list that would replace my Murmur and that's a Nicolai G1. Luckily I don't have the coin for it.

Have you run the Murmur with a 160mm fork?

Maybe it's the new bike thing and it will wear off.... maybe not....

I do go for weeks only riding either the Murmur or the Krampus while the other sits in the shed. Altho they're two very different bike I can ride the same trails on both.

Yes I ran the Murmur at 160/140 with inserts/DD tyres etc from day one. Only changed over to 140 in December when I got the new bike. In many ways I actually prefer it as it is now. The Privateer is not as "special" (sorry, I know) as the Murmur, but it's really an amazing bike to ride.

I have a pal with a G1. Unsurprisingly he absolutely loves it. Apparently the demo days are in a class of their own.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 10:15 Quote
militantmandy wrote:

WHY??????? (never mind, I see now above.....)

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 14:15 Quote
The 161 sounds like a good bike. I guess similar to a Madonna.

The Murmur is a funny bike in that it sits squarely between trail and enduro. In that way I like it as it can do either (by changing fork / shock) but then it isn't possibly best at either as it's too chunky for a trail bike and (I guess) a little under gunned for enduro (I've not ridden anything with more travel).

It would be interesting to see a longer travel Starling - maybe 160/170mm that could run a double crown fork - but one that pedals well like the Murmur (unlike how high pivot bikes are said to ride).

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 14:21 Quote
So far I’m impressed with the murmurs overall capability. Its the shortest rear travel squisher I have had in years and with a progressive coil out back it hasn’t been undergunned yet.

Typically I get new bike fever every year or two but I admittedly still go out to the garage at least 6 times a night just to look at it ... nerd. Yes. So probably wont be offing it any time soon... but I get the different bike desires we all succumb too...

That said I did keep my DH bike for park days.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 17:03 Quote
fartymarty wrote:
The 161 sounds like a good bike. I guess similar to a Madonna.

The Murmur is a funny bike in that it sits squarely between trail and enduro. In that way I like it as it can do either (by changing fork / shock) but then it isn't possibly best at either as it's too chunky for a trail bike and (I guess) a little under gunned for enduro (I've not ridden anything with more travel).

It would be interesting to see a longer travel Starling - maybe 160/170mm that could run a double crown fork - but one that pedals well like the Murmur (unlike how high pivot bikes are said to ride).

That sounds like the Spur or twist model both run a 230x65 shock, I'm curious if Joe will run that on the murmur down the line.

That being said my murmur is coming in the end of February and its good to hear it sits between trail and enduro, exactly what I'm looking for.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 23:47 Quote
misterha wrote:

That sounds like the Spur or twist model both run a 230x65 shock, I'm curious if Joe will run that on the murmur down the line.

That being said my murmur is coming in the end of February and its good to hear it sits between trail and enduro, exactly what I'm looking for.

It's a bike that you can take on a nice long XC loop or down a DH track. I would happily take mine down any of the DH trails I used to ride my 26DH bike down.

Posted: Jan 19, 2022 at 0:07 Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xGtwy39QYY&ab_channel=WeezerFan4Ever

came across this while listening to some old tunes.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 6:56 Quote
Murmur rear mech cable route
Murmur rear mech cable route
Another photo of my cable routing with the cranks off. Below the BB looks worse especially as the bike moves into the travel.

Posted: Jan 20, 2022 at 7:25 Quote
Pulled my cranks to tighten CR and whallah ghost shifting gone... and noticed my routing follows above bb path as well... I also stand corrected. lol

Posted: Feb 3, 2022 at 2:29 Quote
Murmur with a few shiny bit ad 160mm Ohlins m2 back on.
Brake hoses are still a work in progress and I'm thinking of ditching the BRad bag and putting the bottle cage under the TT.

Future plans - put on Chromag push on grips, drop forks to 140mm (maybe with air), maybe put in a -2HS, sort cables, matchmakers for brakes, polish cranks a bit more and maybe rattle can paint the frame...

I'm planning on doing the South Downs Way 100 in July on it (100 miles along the SDW from Winchester to Eastbourne - South Coast UK) so am looking to lighten up a bit - change to lighter tyres etc. Hence the change back to air from coils.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007266
Mobile Version of Website